Music Players from cloud storage?

So today is the last day to use Microsoft's Groove app. I wanted to know if anyone has come up with some alternatives to the Groove app. Preferably free ones if you found them. I tried 9Cloud but the files never load. Tried Cloud-Player but its not free. When I say cloud storage I mean specifically OneDrive, not dropbox or google drive.

4 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

So today is the last day to use Microsoft's Groove app. I wanted to know if anyone has come up with some alternatives to the Groove app. Preferably free ones if you found them. I tried 9Cloud but the files never load. Tried Cloud-Player but its not free. When I say cloud storage I mean specifically OneDrive, not dropbox or google drive.

Tried Cloudbeats? Not one I've tried myself, but just from from a quick search.

Is storing music locally on a device an issue?

12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Tried Cloudbeats? Not one I've tried myself, but just from from a quick search.

Is storing music locally on a device an issue?

Not trying to store 50+GB of music on my phone. SD cards are cheaper but I would rather not have to go that route.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gotenks98 said:

Not trying to store 50+GB of music on my phone. SD cards are cheaper but I would rather not have to go that route.

Fair enough, just wondering. I spend so much time in deadspots (no WiFi or mobile signal) that I need to download as much as possible. I have 128GB on my phone and think that 70GB ish are podcasts and downloaded Spotify playlists. 

13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

not finding any free offerings but the paid apps aren't too badly priced; most around $6

looks like the top 2 are CloudBeats and CloudPlayer

CloudBeats free version allows you to stream from the cloud for free, from that I can see. 

CloudPlayer has that feature locked behind a paywall.

4 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

CloudBeats free version allows you to stream from the cloud for free, from that I can see. 

CloudPlayer has that feature locked behind a paywall.

yes but it also sounds like from reading the comments that the ads are overly annoying basically forcing you to pay for the upgrade if you like the app; so for that reason i don't consider it truly free :yes:

lol I do find it funny that they have this as part of their app description now though :D

With this app you can create your own music streaming service. It can perfectly replace the discontinued Groove Music. 

• Thanks 1

Google Play Music will let you store 50,000 songs on your Google Account, which you can then stream on the web or from the Play Music Android app.

Each song can be up to 300mb in size and FLAC is even supported. That might be worth checking out, its been around longer than Groove has.

When setting it up you might be asked if you want to upgrade to a premium account, that just gets you access to a Spotify like service. However you can bring your own music for free.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, InsaneNutter said:

Google Play Music will let you store 50,000 songs on your Google Account, which you can then stream on the web or from the Play Music Android app.

Each song can be up to 300mb in size and FLAC is even supported. That might be worth checking out, its been around longer than Groove has.

When setting it up you might be asked if you want to upgrade to a premium account, that just gets you access to a Spotify like service. However you can bring your own music for free.

OP wants to stick to using OneDrive. I guess it's the pain of downloading 50GB and re-uploading it. Otherwise this was going to be my suggestion too!

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

OP wants to stick to using OneDrive. I guess it's the pain of downloading 50GB and re-uploading it. Otherwise this was going to be my suggestion too!

yeah moving that big of a collection has got to be a pain; I can understand wanting to avoid having to do that :)

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah moving that big of a collection has got to be a pain; I can understand wanting to avoid having to do that :)

To be fair, at least for me, the downloading wouldn't be a pain...it's the upload that would kill me.

Hello,

I have gone the Micro SDXC card route with my collection.  A 200GB card is large enough to hold my entire music collection (just over half that size), which also gives me some headroom when I buy and then convert the occasional CD.  

Instead of syncing the collection directly with the phone, I just power it down, remove the Micro SDXC card to put it into a USB 3.0 adapter, and do a differential copy/sync to put any new music on to it.  When I'm done, the card goes back into the phone.

The nice thing about this is that I don't have to rely on having network service in order to listen to my music during my commute between home and office (there are patches where there is no cellular service).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 11/30/2018 at 10:59 AM, dipsylalapo said:

Good thing about Google Play Music is they match your songs to higher quality I believe.

3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Good thing about Google Play Music is they match your songs to higher quality I believe.

Is that on the free sub too?

Edit - it can! That's pretty sweet

Standard Accounts

Google Play Music offers all users storage of up to 50,000 files for free. Users can listen to songs through the service's web player and mobile apps.The service scans the user's collection and matches the files to tracks in Google's catalog, which can then be streamed or downloaded in up to 320 kbps quality.Any files that are not matched are uploaded to Google's servers for streaming or re-download. Songs purchased through the Google Play Store do not count against the 50,000-song upload limit.

Source

On 11/30/2018 at 9:37 AM, Gotenks98 said:

Groove Player still works, but only for local files and OneDrive.  VLC still works (and has been my Groove alternative, and it is what Groove had replaced) - why has nobody considered that - especially since it costs nothing on either Android OR Windows?  And I have no respect for playing any media format from the cloud (due to the bugbear called *latency*) - instead, I copy to either internal storage or SD (in the case of my phone); I bet the reason they want to play from the cloud is because they got silly-stupid and let their media collection get too big; that is what happens when you do.