Neil deGrasse Tyson under investigation after accusations of sexual misconduct

Under investigation by Fox Entertainment and National Geographic, one accuser is an astronomer.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/12/01/neil-degrasse-tyson-under-investigation-after-accusations-sexual-misconduct/

Neil deGrasse Tyson under investigation after accusations of sexual misconduct

Days after multiple women accused Neil deGrasse Tyson of sexual harassment and assault, Fox Entertainment Group and the producers of the television series “Cosmos” said they were investigating the celebrity astrophysicist.

The allegations were reported Thursday on the website Patheos, which features writing on religion, science and the skeptic community. In the report, Bucknell University astronomer Katelyn Allers said that Tyson grabbed her arm and reached into her dress while looking at a tattoo. Ashley Watson, a former assistant to Tyson who worked on his latest “Cosmos” series, said she quit her job after Tyson made repeated inappropriate sexual advances.

Patheos has previously reported allegations by musician Tchiya Amet, who said Tyson raped her when they were graduate students at the University of Texas at Austin.
>
Tyson has not commented publicly, and requests for comment emailed to him and his representatives were not immediately returned.
>

Edited by DocM

Damn, I hope these allegations are proven false. I have followed his work for a number of years and have always admired his passion for science.

Having said that, if these allegations do turn out to be true then Tyson must be punished accordingly.

Firstly, I doubt he did anything wrong, personally.  Secondly, I find it humorous that all the people unwilling to concede that Kavanaugh deserved due process and wanted to demonize him for wild accusations....they are now coming to the defense of Tyson, a well known Democrat.  Like I said, I like Tyson and hope and think he is innocent of malicious behavior, but the double standards are ridiculous and some people are blind to them.  #MeToo movement should go die in a fire because people are coming out of the woodwork to join the bandwagon.  

I've always maintained with this kind of situation that the accused's identity should always be kept confidential UNTIL they are found guilty in a court of law, not just released at the first accusation.  This whole trial by the press is disgusting and just wrecks innocent lives.

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I've always maintained with this kind of situation that the accused's identity should always be kept confidential UNTIL they are found guilty in a court of law, not just released at the first accusation.  This whole trial by the press is disgusting and just wrecks innocent lives.

Exactly, death by social media.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nerd Rage said:

Firstly, I doubt he did anything wrong, personally.  Secondly, I find it humorous that all the people unwilling to concede that Kavanaugh deserved due process and wanted to demonize him for wild accusations....they are now coming to the defense of Tyson, a well known Democrat.  Like I said, I like Tyson and hope and think he is innocent of malicious behavior, but the double standards are ridiculous and some people are blind to them.  #MeToo movement should go die in a fire because people are coming out of the woodwork to join the bandwagon.  

Tyson isn't running for the SCOTUS for goodness sake. To equate the two is utterly ridiculous.

Try to keep your political conspiracy theories to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, JR1966 said:

Tyson isn't running for the SCOTUS for goodness sake. To equate the two is utterly ridiculous.

Try to keep your political conspiracy theories to yourself.

Not political or a conspiracy, just saying giving one person the presumption of innocence while stripping it from another is wrong.  

2 hours ago, Nerd Rage said:

DIdn't most people argue that there should be an investigation? I don't think anyone is arguing against that in Tyson's case either, even Tyson is ok with it. I do find the contrast between how each person handled it is striking and revealing about both of them. It's also how Kavanaugh handled it that drew some of the largest criticism considering the role for which he was about to join. He demeanor wasn't very becoming of a potential SCOTUS Justice. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mudslag said:

Of course not but that doesn't mean they are all wrong either. 

Part of the problem we're having now is that behaviour that was completely acceptable 20+ years ago is no longer considered acceptable, and yet we're judging folks based on the morals of today.  You can't do that.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, JR1966 said:

Damn, I hope these allegations are proven false. I have followed his work for a number of years and have always admired his passion for science.

Having said that, if these allegations do turn out to be true then Tyson must be punished accordingly.

Does not matter true or false at this point.  Even if it is false, his rep is still going to be damaged.  Just an accusation is enough to tarnish a rep and ruin a career.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:03 AM, mudslag said:

Of course not but that doesn't mean they are all wrong either. 

Very true. Let's wait for both sides of the story, and see which stands up to investigation.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:39 PM, techbeck said:

Does not matter true or false at this point.  Even if it is false, his rep is still going to be damaged.  Just an accusation is enough to tarnish a rep and ruin a career.

Apologies for not responding techy. A couple of replies slipped through my field of influence  :)

I agree with your point of view 100%. These types of accusations can be devastating for the accused.

On 12/2/2018 at 8:52 PM, Nerd Rage said:

Not political or a conspiracy, just saying giving one person the presumption of innocence while stripping it from another is wrong.  

Completely agree and apologies for not responding until now. I missed a few replies  :)

• Like 2

On 12/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

Part of the problem we're having now is that behaviour that was completely acceptable 20+ years ago is no longer considered acceptable, and yet we're judging folks based on the morals of today.  You can't do that.

Spot on!