How to Allow Two People to Access an Outlook.com account?

This is what I want to do:

Allow two people access to an email account through Outlook.com but not require the users to sign in and out of their own accounts.

This is what I have done:
The email (me@mysite.com) forwards to my Outlook.com address.  Outlook.com thinks it's a connected account, so I can reply to/from the address if needed.
It works fine for my account, through Outlook.com.

This is the problem:
New emails never update for the other person.
They can see the account but emails seem to be stuck from when I first set it up.

I wonder if I could "host" an account on my spare web space and add it as a connected account through Outlook.com using IMAP so both users can see/read/delete the emails through IMAP?
However, it might just be a sync issue on my friends end.
We both have personal Outlook.com accounts and want to access a shared "inbox" so to speak.

Any other ideas?

Any chance you can forward to 2 accounts at the same time? I have a developer account that goes to two people and then a rule files it into the inbox.

So, developer@example.com goes to user1@example.com and user2@example.com, user1 and user2 both set up incoming mail rules to process developer@example.com.

On 12/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

This is what I want to do:

Allow two people access to an email account through Outlook.com but not require the users to sign in and out of their own accounts.

This is what I have done:
The email (me@mysite.com) forwards to my Outlook.com address.  Outlook.com thinks it's a connected account, so I can reply to/from the address if needed.
It works fine for my account, through Outlook.com.

This is the problem:
New emails never update for the other person.
They can see the account but emails seem to be stuck from when I first set it up.

I wonder if I could "host" an account on my spare web space and add it as a connected account through Outlook.com using IMAP so both users can see/read/delete the emails through IMAP?
However, it might just be a sync issue on my friends end.
We both have personal Outlook.com accounts and want to access a shared "inbox" so to speak.

Any other ideas?

The standard Windows 10 Mail App allows multiple account access and it seems to work as you desire.

All "free" email accounts such as Outlook, Gmail, etc will increasingly be difficult to work with "outside the box" as the entire nascent "Cartel" of "internet giants" want to separate everything to a single person with a single verified cell phone number since advertising revenue triumphs in the end over customer satisfaction. Oh, they are doing this for "increased security" which everyone just swallows for some reason...

So that tiny rant was to suggest that no solution will work long term unless it is based on computer software running on your PC or else your own server software running on servers you control (i.e. typical pre-cloud era hosting accounts). For the same "Cartel" type reasons, I expect hosting of email in major cloud based vendors to be increasingly difficult to configure by design.

And well, with single human identity tied to a single cell phone and with IPV6, all that prevents 1984, is the good will of "Don't Be Evil" corps...

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

All "free" email accounts such as Outlook, Gmail, etc will increasingly be difficult to work with "outside the box" as the entire nascent "Cartel" of "internet giants" want to separate everything to a single person with a single verified cell phone number since advertising revenue triumphs in the end over customer satisfaction. Oh, they are doing this for "increased security" which everyone just swallows for some reason...

Been a few years ago, but I think you can do that with Thunderbird, ootb, too.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Been a few years ago, but I think you can do that with Thunderbird, ootb, too.

Good suggestion.

A general purpose but unexciting client...

I normally hate every type of web app - PWA - etc when there are great client experiences actually programmed for a real PC with a real programming language and real performance and even Linux has some nice stuff...

But for reasons I can't figure out, I have just gotten into the (BAD) habit of using gmail the last few years... which is how "they" start the Great Undoing of "Don't Be Evil"

On 12/3/2018 at 6:45 PM, Joe User said:

Any chance you can forward to 2 accounts at the same time? I have a developer account that goes to two people and then a rule files it into the inbox.

Took a look and no, which is a shame as that could be a way round it.

Although you did inspire me to create another rule for something else! (Y)