Windows BSOD on 2009 desktop

Hi guys and girls,

I have a desktop built with the Core i7 920 CPU (bought Feb 2009)

I made several upgrades and replacements to it. But the "core" and hardware is still mainly based on 2009 technology.

I recently noticed that several BSOD's on this machine are taking over. Can this because of the age of some components?

Or might it be a faulty Windows 10 installation (October 2018 update)? Or something else casusing this?

Help for determining if this machine is still okay or that I might look for something new is appreciated.

There is no real need for a new computer, but if it's failing on me.... a better consideration can be made.

30 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Hi guys and girls,

I have a desktop built with the Core i7 920 CPU (bought Feb 2009)

I made several upgrades and replacements to it. But the "core" and hardware is still mainly based on 2009 technology.

I recently noticed that several BSOD's on this machine are taking over. Can this because of the age of some components?

Or might it be a faulty Windows 10 installation (October 2018 update)? Or something else casusing this?

Help for determining if this machine is still okay or that I might look for something new is appreciated.

There is no real need for a new computer, but if it's failing on me.... a better consideration can be made.

Specs PC System:
Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz (overclocked to 3.4GHz) - MSI NVIDIA GTX 760 GAMING
24 GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance 6x4 GB DDR3 SDRAM @ 1600 MHz) - Asus Xonar D2/PM
Samsung 860 EVO SSD 250GB (OS installed) - OCZ 60GB Vertex Turbo SSD - Western Digital 150 GB SATA300 16MB Raptor - some other HDD's
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit all in a black SilverStone Midi Tower FT01B-W

- List the BSOD type - could be anything

- disconnect the OCZ for a while if you can

- 2.66 ghz overclocked to 3.4 ghz for 10 years could lead to "electro-migration" depending on amount of overvolt so another worthwhile test is to slow down the CPU a bit and also the RAM timing a bit.

- might be worth doing an intensive RAM test - just needs one flakey bit in 10 years out of 24 gigs 

- ye old standard scrap off the old heat sink gunk and apply fresh never hurts...

In terms of Windows 10, newer versions have been turning on a kind of mini-Hyper-V to sandbox device drivers for increased security which can cause oddities so make sure all device drivers are as new as possible - just about everything from ASUS would be out of date so download newer stuff from Intel etc. Also, it doesn't hurt to turn on Hyper-V and stop using any other VM stuff like VM Ware and Virtual Box