Update to 1809 version

I think that's a failure to mount or unmount an image, which usually says antivirus is interfering, but other programs can cause that. 

Is there anything running in the background that might hold files open?

Are you using Windows Update,  have you tried using the update assistant?

25 minutes ago, Joe User said:

I think that's a failure to mount or unmount an image, which usually says antivirus is interfering, but other programs can cause that. 

Is there anything running in the background that might hold files open?

Are you using Windows Update,  have you tried using the update assistant?

Not sure anything in the background is interfering with it. I turned off my KIS 2019 and malwarebytes, Do they both need to be uninstalled before updating? yes, i have tried the assistant.

2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Not sure anything in the background is interfering with it. I turned off my KIS 2019 and malwarebytes, Do they both need to be uninstalled before updating? yes, i have tried the assistant.

I upgraded with MBytes, so I don't think that's an issue. You could try uninstalling Kaspersky and see if it helps. 

Unfortunately this is a tricky one to diagnose, the next step would be to check Windows for corrupted files.

7 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Would windows repair tool help and then run the update?

I usually go with sfc /scannow next (as Nick pointed out). I tend to uninstall things like antivirus first just because they're the most likely culprit, but that's just personal preference.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

sfc /scannow    can you take a ballpark quess on the long  this will run? Thx

I have not done it in years and it's very disk dependent, so could be a while (about an hour) if you have a slow hard drive.

12 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

sfc /scannow    can you take a ballpark quess on the long  this will run? Thx

It really depends, but I've not had it run for longer than around 20 minutes before it has finished.

It came back saying Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. What should i try next windows repair tool? Or uninstall kis 1019 and malwarebytes?

thx

Do you have a backup of the OS available? Something to keep your files while rolling back the OS version?

Otherwise I would sit and wait it out. If you don't get the latest version by next month then consider revisiting the situation. It's good to be on the latest version but not necessarily crucial.

9 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Do you have a backup of the OS available? Something to keep your files while rolling back the OS version?

Otherwise I would sit and wait it out. If you don't get the latest version by next month then consider revisiting the situation. It's good to be on the latest version but not necessarily crucial.

yes, I have an image of it using acronis TI 2019.

5 hours ago, Bruinator said:

I have an intel I5 so i hope it doesnt take more than an HR.

Unfortunately(?) that's entirely dependent on the hard drive. The i5 won't help much in this case...

1)backup all files

2)download ISO

3)format c disk and NEW install

4)use your key to activate

5)make WinUPDATE

6)restore folders back

https://twitter.com/Ratiborus58

You can try using ISO to upgrade as you can use the official MS tool to download the ISO and right click and mount it and then upgrade that way as that's typically the way I do my upgrades from one major Windows 10 version to another.

worst case... backup your data and clean install using the ISO as Windows 10 should automatically activate once online.

• Brandon H changed the title to Update to 1809 version