In need of comfortable shoes, good for standing 10+ hours

in my line of work, I'm standing for 10+ hours a day, and I am currently using Sketchers shoes, since I get a discount on them, but they are not comfortable for standing long times, at the end of the day, my feet really throb. I am in need of a good pair of shoes that will last for awhile and that are going to comfortable for my feet. IF anyone has some suggestions please share!

You might want to get your feet checked first. I had trouble with discomfort/tiredness/aching in my feet and eventually some knee pain from being on my feet for more than 2-3 hours. After seeing an orthopedist, turns out it was because of my flat feet and lack of natural arch support. A good investment in a pair of custom orthotic insoles later and I was good on my feet all day.

• Like 3

Good shoes are important. I agree with new balance. Also try changing the inside with Dr. Scholls inserts.

7 hours ago, Xenon said:

Good shoes are important. I agree with new balance. Also try changing the inside with Dr. Scholls inserts.

I have the Dr. Scholls inserts (the one where you stand on the machine and it maps your foot, and run $50/pair) and when I was working in food service they worked great, but now moving onto working at Amazon, they do not seem to be helping.

8 hours ago, Buttus said:

i swear by new balance shoes.   great arch support and the padding inside is awesome on the higher numbers.  they can even customize them for you.

A co-worker told me about them as well, I'll have to go find one of there stores.

9 hours ago, Rail Grinder said:

You might want to get your feet checked first. I had trouble with discomfort/tiredness/aching in my feet and eventually some knee pain from being on my feet for more than 2-3 hours. After seeing an orthopedist, turns out it was because of my flat feet and lack of natural arch support. A good investment in a pair of custom orthotic insoles later and I was good on my feet all day.

Not a bad idea, I will get in contact with my PCP and see about getting a referral to an orthopedist. 

Vans or Caterpillar trainers. I've owned both and found them not only very comfortable for extended periods of time, but they're also sturdy.

If you're doing more intensive work, go for Caterpillar boots over the trainers.

11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Vans or Caterpillar trainers. I've owned both and found them not only very comfortable for extended periods of time, but they're also sturdy.

If you're doing more intensive work, go for Caterpillar boots over the trainers.

OK, I'll look into those as well, I see they are ~$100, which is allot to pay for shoes, but if they are comfortable, it would be worth the price!

14 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, I'll look into those as well, I see they are ~$100, which is allot to pay for shoes, but if they are comfortable, it would be worth the price!

They're also durable as anything. I don't think I've owned a pair of either brand which has lasted me less than 3/4 years, so that comes out to about $25 a year. ;)

12 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have the Dr. Scholls inserts (the one where you stand on the machine and it maps your foot, and run $50/pair) and when I was working in food service they worked great, but now moving onto working at Amazon, they do not seem to be helping.

The problem with off-the-shelf inserts is that they're still very generic and don't properly support you. I used those too for a while until my orthopedist told me otherwise (that and I'm sure he wants the sweet insurance money 😄). I swear by my custom orthotics, as it made a hell of a difference over the past 6 years. Once you  have them, you can wear whatever shoes you see fit. Use up those Amazon benefits! :D

As per the others, NBs are pretty decent. I prefer Saucony since they're super light. But hey to each their own :)

1 hour ago, Shiranui said:

My wife's two favorite brands. Naot are a bit pricey, but are, apparently, the most comfortable shoes my wife has ever owned.

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah the are almost $200 USD! That seems extremely high, but again if they are comfortable...