Is it a hardware issue or Me?

Initially, I had the following hardware for a new build:

Asrock H310M-HDV

Intel i3-8100 LGA1151

2x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-2133

Asus Geforce GT 1030

When everything was assembled, I turned the hardware switch on the PSU on and received a 1 second CPU fan spin - nothing else. I couldn't power it on via the front power switch - I would have to go through the motion of switching the PSU to off, waiting 10 seconds, then switching it on, then hit the front power switch to get the 1 second CPU fan spin.

I've used 2 different, working PSUs - no success. I have tested it without any other components connected (Video Card, RAM, SSD, cables etc) leaving the only the CPU, PSU, Front Power Switch connector cable and power cable - no success.

I disconnected the power, removed the the CMOS battery for 4 hours, then reinserted - no success. I swapped the battery with a working one as well - no success.

There have been a few times where I've powered it on and the fan continuously spins, but no beeps or other activity (no display on monitor)

I checked the motherboard CPU socket pins and found many of them bent. I took it back to the store and used store credit to purchase a Gigabyte H310M A. Brought it back, assembled everything and now the CPU fan spins for 10-15 seconds at a time, turns off, the cycles again. During this time, I can hear the fan stuttering through each of these cycles. To try and make a long story short, I replaced the PSU, RAM and CPU to the following, but with the same results:

Intel i5 8400

G.SKILL NT Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 

Powersec PS650BSM PSU

I've checked the CPU socket pins twice and found nothing bent. What am I missing? Is It a hardware issue or me? Thanks for any suggestions offered.

It really sounds to me like the motherboard is the issue, since you indicated that you pulled the CMOS battery and have changed every other component (except CPU) the motherboard is the most likely at fault, if it's new, RMA the board.

I'm ready to do it -  wanted to make sure I explored all options on my part. Seems kinda weird that I replaced every single component and still have issues booting.

39 minutes ago, mist3rg1ass said:

I'm ready to do it -  wanted to make sure I explored all options on my part. Seems kinda weird that I replaced every single component and still have issues booting.

I have seen stranger things when dealing with computers, so RMA is the easiest method to rule out everything else!

I'll try that and get back to you - Thanks. I spoke to a salesperson from Microcenter and he said it maybe I was putting 1 stick of RAM instead of two. He also suggested using Intel's recommended DDR4 2666 instead of the DD4 2133.

4 hours ago, mist3rg1ass said:

I'll try that and get back to you - Thanks. I spoke to a salesperson from Microcenter and he said it maybe I was putting 1 stick of RAM instead of two. He also suggested using Intel's recommended DDR4 2666 instead of the DD4 2133.

That is useless info.

You have replaced literally everything at this point.

So either you are making a fundamental error or the store is selling you total junk every time.

1. place mobo on cardboard or plywood

2. connect mobo video, PSU, CPU, nothing else - no RAM

3. ensure you remembered secondary PSU cable to mobo

4. listen to BEEP CODE and post it here. If you didn't connect a micro speaker to the mobo speaker pins, yeah that's one of those fundamental errors...

1) make sure you connect both PSU cables main 24 pin + 12v aux

2) Powersec PS650BSM PSU what type of PSU is that? NEVER EVER cheap out on PSU, buy something good, corsair, EVGA, etc...

3) try to boot up in bare minimum, no GPU, no SATA, no CDROM, just motheboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, ram and PSU, use onboard video for testing.

4) if it works, slowly try to add components, turn off the PC, before adding any components.

21 minutes ago, nekrosoft13 said:

1) make sure you connect both PSU cables main 24 pin + 12v aux

2) Powersec PS650BSM PSU what type of PSU is that? NEVER EVER cheap out on PSU, buy something good, corsair, EVGA, etc...

3) try to boot up in bare minimum, no GPU, no SATA, no CDROM, just motheboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, ram and PSU, use onboard video for testing.

4) if it works, slowly try to add components, turn off the PC, before adding any components.

Not bad, but in a situation like his, he should start with zero RAM.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

That is useless info.

You have replaced literally everything at this point.

So either you are making a fundamental error or the store is selling you total junk every time.

1. place mobo on cardboard or plywood

2. connect mobo video, PSU, CPU, nothing else - no RAM

3. ensure you remembered secondary PSU cable to mobo

4. listen to BEEP CODE and post it here. If you didn't connect a micro speaker to the mobo speaker pins, yeah that's one of those fundamental errors...

I did as instructed and received 4 long beeps and 1 short beep before it shut off and looped again.

On 1/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, mist3rg1ass said:

Initially, I had the following hardware for a new build:

Asrock H310M-HDV

Intel i3-8100 LGA1151

2x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-2133

Asus Geforce GT 1030

When everything was assembled, I turned the hardware switch on the PSU on and received a 1 second CPU fan spin - nothing else. I couldn't power it on via the front power switch - I would have to go through the motion of switching the PSU to off, waiting 10 seconds, then switching it on, then hit the front power switch to get the 1 second CPU fan spin.

I've used 2 different, working PSUs - no success. I have tested it without any other components connected (Video Card, RAM, SSD, cables etc) leaving the only the CPU, PSU, Front Power Switch connector cable and power cable - no success.

I disconnected the power, removed the the CMOS battery for 4 hours, then reinserted - no success. I swapped the battery with a working one as well - no success.

There have been a few times where I've powered it on and the fan continuously spins, but no beeps or other activity (no display on monitor)

I checked the motherboard CPU socket pins and found many of them bent. I took it back to the store and used store credit to purchase a Gigabyte H310M A. Brought it back, assembled everything and now the CPU fan spins for 10-15 seconds at a time, turns off, the cycles again. During this time, I can hear the fan stuttering through each of these cycles. To try and make a long story short, I replaced the PSU, RAM and CPU to the following, but with the same results:

Intel i5 8400

G.SKILL NT Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 

Powersec PS650BSM PSU

I've checked the CPU socket pins twice and found nothing bent. What am I missing? Is It a hardware issue or me? Thanks for any suggestions offered.

So everybody, chip in with thoughts now after actually reading his description. What is weird here after replacing just about everything?

1. Lets ignore RAM for now since it is more basic than that. OBJECTIVE: get the BEEP CODE that says "Missing RAM"

2. PSU was replaced. Mobo was replaced. CPU was replaced.

3. So TWO bad PSU in a row?

4. TWO bad CPU in a row?

5. TWO bad mobo in a row?

6. "motherboard CPU socket pins and found many of them bent." --> either really bad insertion or BAD STORE? In theory that could have destroyed mobo and/or CPU but both were replaced...

7. Is he forgetting second PSU cable?

8 minutes ago, mist3rg1ass said:

I did as instructed and received 4 long beeps and 1 short beep before it shut off and looped again.

That is a weird BEEP CODE.

1. Make sure there is NO GPU card plugged in

2. test 1 RAM module in each socket and then test the other DIMM in each socket.

3. Check if you need a BIOS update to support the i5-8400

Just now, DevTech said:

That is a weird BEEP CODE.

1. Make sure there is NO GPU card plugged in

2. test 1 RAM module in each socket and then test the other DIMM in each socket.

3. Check if you need a BIOS update to support the i5-8400

SO...I couldn't find what 4 long beeps and 1 short means, but I just figured to put 1 stick of RAM in and see what happens. Afterwards, I received 5 short beeps (Real Time Clock Malfunction) - but the machine stayed on this time. I  restarted it and now only receive one beep which is good. I'll go ahead and begin putting this thing together. 

Big thanks for the micro speaker tip. My case didn't have a cable attached, so I had to dig through some junk to find a standalone speaker thingamajig.

Dump the gskill memory for one, two +1 for checking the bios to ensure it supports that chip.  Many motherboards ship with old bios.

40 minutes ago, mist3rg1ass said:

SO...I couldn't find what 4 long beeps and 1 short means, but I just figured to put 1 stick of RAM in and see what happens. Afterwards, I received 5 short beeps (Real Time Clock Malfunction) - but the machine stayed on this time. I  restarted it and now only receive one beep which is good. I'll go ahead and begin putting this thing together. 

Big thanks for the micro speaker tip. My case didn't have a cable attached, so I had to dig through some junk to find a standalone speaker thingamajig.

Congrats.

It is still not clear what was wrong so you should proceed by adding one thing, testing, adding another etc.

Once the RAM is in, you can boot from MemTest and run that for an hour before OS install

As soon as possible after OS is installed run Prime95 Torture Test for an hour to confirm all is well.

Post back with any discoveries or conclusions for the benefit of future Google searchers...

21 hours ago, DevTech said:

Congrats.

It is still not clear what was wrong so you should proceed by adding one thing, testing, adding another etc.

Once the RAM is in, you can boot from MemTest and run that for an hour before OS install

As soon as possible after OS is installed run Prime95 Torture Test for an hour to confirm all is well.

Post back with any discoveries or conclusions for the benefit of future Google searchers...

I discovered that one of my GSkill RAM was bad. One RAM stick booted successfully in both slots and other was not recognized at all. I bought an 8GB stick and installed it. I've now put all the components back together, installed Windows 10 and started updates. Everything is looking good so far. I will now utilize the speaker cable as part of my troubleshooting process - Thanks!

• Like 2

Glad you figured it out! Are you going to RMA the RAM? If it's faulty I wouldRMA it, then you are at least guaranteed to have a good stick of RAM on hand.

4 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Glad you figured it out! Are you going to RMA the RAM? If it's faulty I wouldRMA it, then you are at least guaranteed to have a good stick of RAM on hand.

Nah, there too old. It was just some RAM I had sitting around and wanted to use it for a build.

Edited by mist3rg1ass
missed a word.

Just now, mist3rg1ass said:

Nah, there too old. It was just some RAM I had sitting around and wanted to use it for build.

Well I guess it helps you clean up! :)

50 minutes ago, TrumanMills said:

Seems to be a motherboard  issue, because you said the you have tweaked around with every other major component.

I get that it can be very hard to think of posts when your post count starts at zero.

But in some forums, it would be expected or at least polite to read the entire thread before making a comment on solving a problem that was already solved and in any case it could never have been the motherboard because he replaced it.

If you are a tech enthusiast, welcome to Neowin! If you just want to spam links to your blog, then that's against the rules and the difference between the two is simply which path is your intention?

Your article:

https://www.segmentblue.com/macbook-vs-windows-laptop/

is either click-bait or not well thought out. Is is not insight to enter an Apple store and ask people why they bought an iPhone. Asking Mac owners why they bought a Mac is logically equivalent to that. It would be more insightful to ask them why they didn't buy a Windows PC and then ask the Windows users why they didn't buy a Mac.

Otherwise, you get responses that are just mindless social tropes.

• Like 1