is there a way to kill and restart the dock?

hi

i have an 2014 imac with high sierra

sometime when i work for example with photoshop full screen mode or other program the dock could become nasty

is there a way to kill it and to restart it?

via command line or script?

and i have seeing the new imacs in an store with Apple Store Screensaver FALL 2018 , can i download it ? is it free?

this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBckM0gO3nw

thanks

best regard

You can kill the dock through the terminal by typing killall Dock apparently. I don't have a mac nearby to test it though.

I have no idea about the screensaver.

EDIT: Just tested it and I can confirm that it restarts the dock.

5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

You can kill the dock through the terminal by typing killall Dock apparently. I don't have a mac nearby to test it though.

I have no idea about the screensaver.

EDIT: Just tested it and I can confirm that it restarts the dock.

hi

but is there a way to stop it or terminate it ?

i have tried in several way but it come back quickly

thanks

33 minutes ago, drugo said:

hi

but is there a way to stop it or terminate it ?

i have tried in several way but it come back quickly

thanks

Why would you want to do that? Killing the process and restarting it - which is what you asked for in the OP - should resolve the issues of it looking "nasty."

If you were to kill it and force it to not restart I can imagine a whole load of issues arising...

On 1/21/2019 at 12:05 PM, Nick H. said:

Why would you want to do that? Killing the process and restarting it - which is what you asked for in the OP - should resolve the issues of it looking "nasty."

If you were to kill it and force it to not restart I can imagine a whole load of issues arising...

He wants to kill it for the duration of what he's doing in full screen, and then re/start it when done....

20 hours ago, shockz said:

He wants to kill it for the duration of what he's doing in full screen, and then re/start it when done....

Br00TCn.gif

If he needs that extra bit of space he could hide the dock.

8 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

If he needs that extra bit of space he could hide the dock.

I thought the same from a quick Google, but didn't want to chime in as I've no experience with Macs. 

Does that hide it permanently or is it more that it'll pop up when you hover near it (which can be annoying)

6 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I thought the same from a quick Google, but didn't want to chime in as I've no experience with Macs. 

Does that hide it permanently or is it more that it'll pop up when you hover near it (which can be annoying)

It's just like with Windows and the taskbar. It disappears until you move your mouse to the bottom of the screen. I guess it could be annoying - I don't use the function - but the dock doesn't take up that much screen-space to begin with so the pros and cons are negligible.

• Like 1

@drugo The screensaver could be located in the forum thread over here External link to MacRumors

Note that you'll have to go to the Google Drive link posted there to actually obtain the screensaver (.mov) - go there either via Private Browsing or regular browser-mode.

Then use SaveHollywood to use as a screensaver External link to SaveHollywood

SaveHollywood itself is installed as a screensaver so that's where you'll find it. Double-click the screensaver icon after download.

Edited by allan.nyholm
Added proper links and other stuff too