7 years on 1st/2nd line, where to go from here?

My IT career kicked off in 2011 after college (UK), I've worked within a few SMB's doing service desk and the jobs you'd expect from 1st/2nd line/standard IT technician. I've just this week secured my highest earning job in quite a presigious 3-18 private school. There is a ton of room to progress in this role but I really want to advance myself over the next few years. I hold an MCP and MCDST as vendor qualifications in WIndows 7, along with CompTIA A+ and N+, which are only entry level. I've definitely enough experience to move on but I'm not sure what to persue. MCSA and CCNA has been my target for the last few years, I'm not really sure where to go from here. Looking for suggestions because I'm overdue some new cerifications.

IMO you progress by experience, challenging yourself, and asking questions.  Learning and certs only reinforce that.  Figure out where you want to go and move in that direction.

• Like 3

Start taking a look at other IT fields as well. Like you, I did a ton of HelpDesk/Service Desk type of work and while I really enjoyed it and thought I would make a career going that route; in September two of my contracts decided not to renew and I was left looking for work. Through previous networking someone reached out to me directly who is starting their retirement plan, I've been working with them sort of like a mentor-ship program with the idea I will be the fill in when he retires. I am working as a database admin, along with systems planning for future upgrades and doing work in various systems I wasnt before and I love it. I cant see myself ever going back to the break fix/helpdesk type of work. I am getting experience in Sharepoint, O365 deployment, PowerApps, PowerBI, Qliksense/Qlikview and a whole host of other database programs. You never know unless you give it a try.