How to disable Windows 10 updates permanently

Back in the day since Windows 2000,XP and even Windows 7 I was pro-update windows. Security issues, improvements, etc. (skipped Vista and Win8 though)

But since starting using Windows 10 , the updates always break something!! I have 2 Win10 machine desktop and a Surface Pro 4. Also it is very annoying that if there are updates, I cann't just Shut Down or Restart. Countless of times I just want to Shutdown or Restart, something quick...not wait god knows how many minutes for the update. Also I hate the updates are partial done after you shutdown/restart and then continues when you boot up, as if you didn't have nothing else to do while you wait.

On the Surface it breaks some functionability and it drives me insane.

So I just want to disable windows to update itself, permanently!

I've tried looking into google, but no real solutions.

26 minutes ago, freedonX said:

Back in the day since Windows 2000,XP and even Windows 7 I was pro-update windows. Security issues, improvements, etc. (skipped Vista and Win8 though)

But since starting using Windows 10 , the updates always break something!! I have 2 Win10 machine desktop and a Surface Pro 4. Also it is very annoying that if there are updates, I cann't just Shut Down or Restart. Countless of times I just want to Shutdown or Restart, something quick...not wait god knows how many minutes for the update. Also I hate the updates are partial done after you shutdown/restart and then continues when you boot up, as if you didn't have nothing else to do while you wait.

Disconnect from the Internet. 

Hello,

There is no way to permanently disable updates in Windows 10.  Even enterprise versions update, although system administrators have some more granular control about when those updates are applied.

There are several reasons Microsoft chose this strategy, but a major component of their reasoning is that people who do not install updates are unsafe on the Internet.  Not only are they vulnerable to being attacked, their computers serve as platforms from which additional attacks can be performed.  Having everyone on the latest patches helps mitigate this problem.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I think you can disable updates with tools like StopUpdates10 and also Windows Update Blocker.

http://greatis.com/blog/stopupdates10

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-1/

On 1/27/2019 at 5:59 AM, freedonX said:

windows key+R ...  type services.msc ... right click on windows update .. select properties ....  disable

3 minutes ago, Som said:

windows key+R ...  type services.msc ... right click on windows update .. select properties ....  disable 

Also make sure to stop the service before disabling it, otherwise it will still be running until you reboot.

install Win10 LTSB version

• Facepalm 2

58 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

What? No.  

Yes

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah? How does that work for what the poster wants? Go ahead and tell us.  

LTSB is limited version which gets updates after all, usually installed at important machines as Factory PC to show maximum stability, it gets updates once in 3-6 monthes and has all included useless win apps disabled

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/understanding-long-term-servicing-branch-and-current-branch-windows-10

8 minutes ago, Marujan said:

LTSB is limited version which gets updates after all, usually installed at important machines as Factory PC to show maximum stability, it gets updates once in 3-6 monthes and has all included useless win apps disabled

https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/understanding-long-term-servicing-branch-and-current-branch-windows-10

The OP wants NO UPDATES. So no that doesn’t work. 

When I last used Windows 10, I kept the Windows Update service disabled and at a 'stopped' state and would toggle it to 'Manual' and start it whenever I decided to get around to updating. I used an alternate and unofficial Windows Update 'client' of sorts called WUMT, it's been years since I last used it so I don't know if it still works. I assume the backend components are the same like APIs, etc so it should. WUMT lets you individually pick and choose updates. When finished, I again disable  and stop the service. It's not ideal given the repeated steps but better than nothing. Of course, if you don't ever want to update, then you only need to disable it once. 

Also, I had this registry item set to prevent WU from immediately trying to do stuff in the background whenever I would manually enable the service for brief periods:

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

[Screenshot is not mine]

Windows-update-minitool.jpg

Edited by DeusProto

On 1/26/2019 at 11:59 PM, freedonX said:

the updates always break something!!

Then you have something WRONG ;)

Sorry but disable updates is not the solution to your problem(s).. Anyone that would even help you with such a thing is not helping.. What you should be looking at is controlled updates.  Not disabling them.

If you do not like windows updating - here is your solution... Run a different OS ;)  Join the apple crowd, or switch to linux or bsd.

11 hours ago, BudMan said:

Then you have something WRONG ;)

Sorry but disable updates is not the solution to your problem(s).. Anyone that would even help you with such a thing is not helping.. What you should be looking at is controlled updates.  Not disabling them.

If you do not like windows updating - here is your solution... Run a different OS ;)  Join the apple crowd, or switch to linux or bsd.

Not my fault MS likes to break basic functions of the Surface (Pro 4) because of Windows update.

almost 2 years ago, an update broke Windows Hello . What was MS solution, to do a rollback of that specific update.
Last year it broke something related to the pen where part of the screen you couldn't write.

2 important (non critical mind you) functions to fully take advantate of the Surface.

Not my fault they break it and it ain't my fault. My Surface is strictlly work related. So no weird add ons or software. That's what I have the desktop for.

So yes, I would like to disable updates before MS breaks features I'm using.

• Facepalm 2

On 2/3/2019 at 1:23 PM, DeusProto said:

When I last used Windows 10, I kept the Windows Update service disabled and at a 'stopped' state and would toggle it to 'Manual' and start it whenever I decided to get around to updating. I used an alternate and unofficial Windows Update 'client' of sorts called WUMT, it's been years since I last used it so I don't know if it still works. I assume the backend components are the same like APIs, etc so it should. WUMT lets you individually pick and choose updates. When finished, I again disable  and stop the service. It's not ideal given the repeated steps but better than nothing. Of course, if you don't ever want to update, then you only need to disable it once. 

Also, I had this registry item set to prevent WU from immediately trying to do stuff in the background whenever I would manually enable the service for brief periods:

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v "NoAutoUpdate" /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

[Screenshot is not mine]

Windows-update-minitool.jpg

Looks interesting...that way I know what is updated.

EDIT:ADD:

Must have missed the previous posters comment. Will also check into those options.

If I have to update something, so be it...I know it's for the best. But pisses me if I'm forced something that eventually breaks a feature

• 2 weeks later...

I have completely given up on Windows 10. I have had enough. It was working fine and then came the updates that completely made my PC crash over and over again. Blue screen of death. Formatted HD, downloaded latest version of Windows 10 and did a clean install....Same thing happened. I don’t know what updates are creating the issues but I am done. Back to Windows 7. Never had this issues with Windows 7 - ever. All I use my PC is to play games anyways (gaming rig) so I could care less about Windows 10 as 7 does the job just fine. Just my 2 cents.

Another thing for the OP who wishes to disable WIndows update. If you are on Windows, whether it's 7, 8 or 10, you need to do your updates bud. I know it sucks, but you have to. Way too many security issues out there (malware, viruses, etc). Leaving your computer vulnerable can be even worst. It's like not taking the flu shot every year. You might get lucky the first couple of times and not catch something but it will eventually get you at some point so do your updates brother!

Your other solution is to go with Linux.

If you are using a Linux distribution then you also need to update that, for the same reason as in the post immediately above.

However for most distros the update process does seem to be much less troublesome than on Windows.

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2019 at 12:59 AM, freedonX said:

Why in God's Earth would you want to do something like that? Is your Windows 10 pirated or something? If it isn't, I wouldn't do such a stupid thing if I was you, unless you want your PC full of malware.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, spacelordmaster said:

Why in God's Earth would you want to do something like that? Is your Windows 10 pirated or something? If it isn't, I wouldn't do such a stupid thing if I was you, unless you want your PC full of malware.

For some reason on my Surface Pro 4 it would break something.

Almost 2 years ago, it broke Windows Hello. This was actually documented and Microsoft fix was to rollback that specific driver.

Then , like a year later, out of nowhere the battery was getting drained a lot faster. Found out that if I closed 'OneDrive'  that would solve it. Though I use OneDrive for my business.

So as you can see, it causes probelsm with my day to day use.

Why would it do that...beats me, but it does!

Onedrive is not the OS, and hello is 1 thing..

That is a FAR CRY from

the updates always break something!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I did it by using these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the experience.
  3. Navigate to the following path.
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.