Recover data from NAS

Hello…

I need to try to recover data from a NAS, since I can't do that using a software with the NAS on the network, can I remove the HDD from the NAS and connect to a computer using a USB external Hard Drive connection?

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Pedro3 said:

Hello…

I need to try to recover data from a NAS, since I can't do that using a software with the NAS on the network, can I remove the HDD from the NAS and connect to a computer using a USB external Hard Drive connection?

Thank you!

It might help if you could post the make and model of the NAS. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Pedro3 said:

It's a Seagate, Model srpd20. Is this enough?

How can I tell if it's using RAID?

What's the use of NAS, if its not using Raid.

Why do you want to recover data?

is it because of accidentally delete? or hardware failure.

you can use any recovery software, if its just accidentally delete.

hardware failure required lot of work to recover the data.

It's a 2 bay, so likely RAID, but was it raid mirror or stripe. If it was mirror and the enclosure failed, get a new enclosure and swap drives. If it was a drive, replace the failed drive and it should rebuild if it was a mirror.

Missing information.  If the NAS hardware failed ... you should be able to hook the drive(s) (depending on RAID config) up to a PC and pull the data (using something like Ubuntu Live). 

Or maybe Ext2Fsd??

There is no where close to enough info to help you.

But with any sort of reason that you "lost" data - just restore said data from your backup.  If the data was not important enough to backup, why are you worried about recovery?

6 hours ago, Xahid said:

What's the use of NAS, if its not using Raid.

Why do you want to recover data?

is it because of accidentally delete? or hardware failure.

you can use any recovery software, if its just accidentally delete.

hardware failure required lot of work to recover the data.

This NAS isn't mine, it's from a friend. She had many folders with many pictures inside, one day, she just opened the NAS and many of the folders just weren't there, she isn't very good with tech, so she could accidentaly deleted the files, but she said that nothing different happened during her usage of the NAS, but she isn't sure of it.

I tried to use Recuva, but it doesn't work on a NAS, what software do you recommend?

Must probably it wasn't hardware faile, since many other folders and files are good.

5 hours ago, xendrome said:

It's a 2 bay, so likely RAID, but was it raid mirror or stripe. If it was mirror and the enclosure failed, get a new enclosure and swap drives. If it was a drive, replace the failed drive and it should rebuild if it was a mirror.

I think it was accidental delete, the drive and enclosure appear to be working OK.

4 hours ago, Jim K said:

Missing information.  If the NAS hardware failed ... you should be able to hook the drive(s) (depending on RAID config) up to a PC and pull the data (using something like Ubuntu Live). 

Or maybe Ext2Fsd??

I don't think it was hardware failure, since she told me that the NAS was always working, but many folders are missing. Can I take the drive out of the NAS and connect it to a PC?

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

There is no where close to enough info to help you.

But with any sort of reason that you "lost" data - just restore said data from your backup.  If the data was not important enough to backup, why are you worried about recovery?

You know, people only do backups AFTER something really bad happens! So, she had no backup of this data. The data is important, so, if I could recover it, great. Sorry by not giving more info, but she's really bad with tech.

2 hours ago, Pedro3 said:

Can I take the drive out of the NAS and connect it to a PC?

Again, we need to know if it is RAID or not.

2 hours ago, Pedro3 said:

Sorry by not giving more info, but she's really bad with tech.

And you are? I'm sure you can give more information to us than her.

31 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Again, we need to know if it is RAID or not.

And you are? I'm sure you can give more information to us than her.

Sorry, I already told that I don't know how can I see if its RAID or not. Can you please tell me?

I only know what already wrote. What more info can I tell?

39 minutes ago, Pedro3 said:

Sorry, I already told that I don't know how can I see if its RAID or not. Can you please tell me?

I only know what already wrote. What more info can I tell?

If you can get into the NAS software, I am SURE you can figure out how it is made. Like DonC said, you can look up the manual and see what's up.

If your lucky and she deleted them, Synology has a trash bin you can just restore the files from.. Pretty much just like the recycle bin on your windows PC.

5 hours ago, DonC said:

I can find the manual for a Seagate SRPS20. Did you typo the model number?

Yeap, this is the one, it was a typo. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

If you can get into the NAS software, I am SURE you can figure out how it is made. Like DonC said, you can look up the manual and see what's up.

Yes, now I'm in the software using the browser. The guy that sold her the NAS and did the configurations did not programed backups.

It's using SimplyRAID.

Is there any other option to recover the data using the software from the NAS or should I try

Runtime Software's NAS Data Recovery

?

5 hours ago, BudMan said:

If your lucky and she deleted them, Synology has a trash bin you can just restore the files from.. Pretty much just like the recycle bin on your windows PC.

But Synology isn't a hardware? This NAS is not a Synology. Forgive me if I'm saying something very wrong.

1 hour ago, Pedro3 said:

Yes, now I'm in the software using the browser. The guy that sold her the NAS and did the configurations did not programed backups.

It's using SimplyRAID.

Is there any other option to recover the data using the software from the NAS or should I try

Runtime Software's NAS Data Recovery

?

As said above, if it is stripped, there's little you can do. If it is mirrored, you can hook it up to your PC.

1 hour ago, Pedro3 said:

But Synology isn't a hardware? This NAS is not a Synology. Forgive me if I'm saying something very wrong.

I think he is just confused. Think he missed that it's a Seagate, not a Synology.

11 hours ago, Pedro3 said:

This NAS isn't mine, it's from a friend. She had many folders with many pictures inside, one day, she just opened the NAS and many of the folders just weren't there, she isn't very good with tech, so she could accidentaly deleted the files, but she said that nothing different happened during her usage of the NAS, but she isn't sure of it.

I tried to use Recuva, but it doesn't work on a NAS, what software do you recommend?

Must probably it wasn't hardware faile, since many other folders and files are good.

I think it was accidental delete, the drive and enclosure appear to be working OK.

Well, Normal Free recovery program won't work on network drive,

Try R-Studio, it recovery data from network drives.

I know its not a synology It was it as an example - if one nas has it, maybe yours does as well.

So that runs NAS OS, can you log into that NAS OS?  All the info about how the drives are configured would be there.. Also apps, and even maybe undelete option..  I am not familiar with that OS... But it does run it.

https://www.seagate.com/support/software/apps/nas-os/

Here is their recyclebin

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/nas-os-4x-network-recycle-bin-nrb-006005en/

The purpose of the Network Recycle Bin (NRB) is to ensure that when a file is deleted from the NAS, it isn’t permanently deleted. The benefit of the NRB is that if you delete a file from your NAS by mistake, you can restore the file back to the NAS. The downside to the NRB is that when you delete files from the NAS, you will not see the extra capacity freed up. You will have to empty the Recycle Bin in order to gain the additional free space.

35 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I know its not a synology It was it as an example - if one nas has it, maybe yours does as well.

So that runs NAS OS, can you log into that NAS OS?  All the info about how the drives are configured would be there.. Also apps, and even maybe undelete option..  I am not familiar with that OS... But it does run it.

https://www.seagate.com/support/software/apps/nas-os/

Here is their recyclebin

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/nas-os-4x-network-recycle-bin-nrb-006005en/

The purpose of the Network Recycle Bin (NRB) is to ensure that when a file is deleted from the NAS, it isn’t permanently deleted. The benefit of the NRB is that if you delete a file from your NAS by mistake, you can restore the file back to the NAS. The downside to the NRB is that when you delete files from the NAS, you will not see the extra capacity freed up. You will have to empty the Recycle Bin in order to gain the additional free space.

:( NRB was off

So what is the raid configuration then?

"It's using SimplyRAID."

So all that is like auto mode from my take... If using all the space then it would be 0 and and striped across both, if safety and redundancy was your choice then is prob 1, etc.  So get onto the NAS OS, and validate what config its in.. ScreenShots wold be very helpful!

20 hours ago, BudMan said:

So what is the raid configuration then?

"It's using SimplyRAID."

So all that is like auto mode from my take... If using all the space then it would be 0 and and striped across both, if safety and redundancy was your choice then is prob 1, etc.  So get onto the NAS OS, and validate what config its in.. ScreenShots wold be very helpful!

Here are three screenshots from "Summary", "Services" and "Storage", do you need more?

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 07.17.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 07.17.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 07.18.12 AM.png

23 minutes ago, Pedro3 said:

Here are three screenshots from "Summary", "Services" and "Storage", do you need more?

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 07.18.12 AM.png

Its Raid-1, you have 1 disk redundancy,

But we are talking about Accidental delete, since your Hardware looks OK

Edit:

You can take the disk out of NAS and plug it into your computer and Run any Free Recovery Program to retrieve the data, if its hard for you, than call your any tech. friend?

And TURN ON NRB!!! So your idiot friend doesn't delete other stuff she needs next week.

Curious why SMB and AFP enabled - so does this person have PC or Mac?  Why is time machine not being leveraged if Mac?  So no recycle in, no backups?

Did they delete like all their files... Only 8% being used?  Did they just get this thing last week or something?