11-year-old arrested after refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance

https://nypost.com/2019/02/17/11-year-old-arrested-after-refusing-to-stand-for-pledge-of-allegiance/

An 11-year-old student was arrested after refusing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and allegedly telling a teacher that “the flag is racist and the national anthem is offensive to black people,” according to reports.

The boy, a student at Lawton Chiles Middle Academy in Lakeland, Fla., was charged with disrupting a school function and resisting arrest without violence for the Feb. 4 outburst, according to Bay News 9.

He was also issued a three-day suspension.

His mother, Dhakira Talbot, said officials took things too far by arresting her son, who she said is in gifted classes and has been bullied in the past.

When he told her he believed the flag was racist and the anthem was offensive, Alvarez asked him “why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live,” the teacher said in a statement to the school district.

The teacher said he replied, “they brought me here.”

Polk County Public Schools spokesman Kyle Kennedy insisted that the boy was not arrested for failing to stand for the pledge.

“Students are not required to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance,” he told The Ledger.

The sixth-grader was collared “after becoming disruptive and refusing to follow repeated instructions by school staff and law enforcement,” he added.

It looks like there is more that is still unclear. If it's true that the teacher attempted to force the kid to stand, then prepare for the suits to fly. 

Edited by mudslag

13 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I remember a time when if a kid acted up in school, they were removed from the classroom and parents were called.  Not the police.   And I was a pretty bad kid in school. 

I remember a time when parents gave a damn and didn't just defend their brat kids and blame the rest of the world, while filming the principal shouting "Worldstar"

26 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

100% there's more to it than reported...

There is 100% more to everything than reported.

12 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I remember a time when parents gave a damn and didn't just defend their brat kids and blame the rest of the world, while filming the principal shouting "Worldstar"

You don't know the whole story. Sometimes kids stand up for themselves and what they believe in and do everything correctly and adults still act outrageously, get political and get police involved. Sometimes kids are brats. You seem to be jumping to a conclusion with no real evidence. Also, many parents still do give a damn, including myself, so don't start hating the world just yet!

I remember hearing about a time where if a kid misbehaved in school they beat on the ass. Actually, I think that is still legal in states.

16 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I remember hearing about a time where if a kid misbehaved in school they beat on the ass. Actually, I think that is still legal in states.

You ever get your ass beat in school?

39 minutes ago, astropheed said:

You don't know the whole story. Sometimes kids stand up for themselves and what they believe in and do everything correctly and adults still act outrageously, get political and get police involved. Sometimes kids are brats. You seem to be jumping to a conclusion with no real evidence. Also, many parents still do give a damn, including myself, so don't start hating the world just yet!

Understand hyperbole for comedic effect dude!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought they banned the pledge of allegiance in schools. So kids don't get offended.

lets ban the flag next. hell, why not just ban the country name as well. 

When I was a kid, I had no options, I had to do exactly as I was told. I was left out of adult discussions political and literal. I had to keep my mouth shut on how I felt and believed. Honestly I am glad I grew up in the time I did.

3 hours ago, warwagon said:

I went to a private school so it's a little different, but oh yeah it still happens in our school (Pennsylvania). More common would be smacking the hands with a ruler (even that's rare), but in really, really extreme cases a kid will get his little butt beat. Not abusively, of course, but enough to dissuade him from repeating the same idiotic behavior within a 10-minute period.

31 minutes ago, Rohdekill said:

Can we stop  with the click-bait headlines?

He was charged with disruption and resistance, NOT because he refused to recite the pledge

Headline was from the source, not this site.  And site rules state do not change the topic from the source.  And if a school/teacher cannot handle an 11 year old...they have bigger issues.  I threw things across the room in school.  They took me out of the room and called my parents.  I misbehaved in class and was sent in the hallway many of times.   Absolutely no need to call the cops here.

And the comments from the teacher are totally unacceptable....

When he told her he believed the flag was racist and the anthem was offensive, Alvarez asked him “why if it was so bad here he did not go to another place to live,” the teacher said in a statement to the school district.

The teacher said he replied, “they brought me here.”

Alvarez then told him, “Well, you can always go back, because I came here from Cuba and the day I feel I’m not welcome here anymore, I would find another place to live.”

Good that the teacher, Ana Alvarez, will no longer work for the county.

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Headline was from the source, not this site.  And site rules state do not change the topic from the source.  And if a school/teacher cannot handle an 11 year old...they have bigger issues.  I threw things across the room in school.  They took me out of the room and called my parents.  I misbehaved in class and was sent in the hallway many of times.   Absolutely no need to call the cops here.

And the comments from the teacher are totally unacceptable....

Good that the teacher, Ana Alvarez, will no longer work for the county.

The first reaction for many today is to beat a child into submission and I think many do it for the sheer joy of it. Placing a child in handcuffs is also a turn-on for many wingers. Whatever they can use to reduce a human being to a waste product is a republican goal. I can't get it out of my mind of how this government actually removed children from their parents and tossed them into cages to sleep on the floor. Then blamed the parents.  They still don't know where many of those children are to return them. Monsters.