Need help building new PC

So I just got an RTX 2060 and am looking to upgrade to a new computer as well as my CPU is a bit outdated.

I am looking for something that will run my oculus rift fine, along with games on high settings that will at least keep up for several more years.

Below is what I am currently looking at. I was curious if this would work with my goal, or be basically to outdated to run new games that come out next year on high settings. Please note I play on an HD monitor no 4k or anything like that.

Any tips or suggestions to possibly save a few bucks or anything here I can replace that's maybe more optimal to get? As I am on a budget trying to get the most bang for my buck, but also do want quality parts.

Motherboard - https://www.amazon.com/ROG-B350-F-GAMING-DisplayPort-Motherboard/dp/B071SGQP1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546142719&sr=8-1&keywords=ASUS+ROG+STRIX+B350-F

Processor - https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler/dp/B07B41WS48/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1546142268&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=AMD+RYZEN+5+2600+6-Core&psc=1

Ram  - https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Kingston-Technology-HX424C15FB2K2-16/dp/B01D8U2B8W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546142325&sr=8-3&keywords=hyperx+16gb+ddr4+ram

Power Supply  - https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Warranty-Supply-210-GQ-0650-V1/dp/B017HA3SQ8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1546142750&sr=1-5&keywords=650+watt+power+supply

Computer case  - https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Gaming-Computer-THOR-V2/dp/B0058P5S9A/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546143168&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=Rosewill+Gaming+ATX+Full+Tower+Computer+Case&psc=1

Mind telling us what your previous system had? Will keep prices lower on parts you can take over.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600 myself. Very nice CPU :) (that reminds, I have to update my sig...)

Motherboard is OK, not to my liking, but it IS a good board.

RAM, never used Kingston RAM. But, if you have devotion to them. /shrug

PSU is fine for your system. Just don't try doing SLI with that 😛

Computer Case is personal preference. Long as it has the style you want, and the innards and front ports you need, go run with it :)

20 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Mind telling us what your previous system had? Will keep prices lower on parts you can take over.

I have a Ryzen 5 2600 myself. Very nice CPU :) (that reminds, I have to update my sig...)

Motherboard is OK, not to my liking, but it IS a good board.

RAM, never used Kingston RAM. But, if you have devotion to them. /shrug

PSU is fine for your system. Just don't try doing SLI with that 😛

Computer Case is personal preference. Long as it has the style you want, and the innards and front ports you need, go run with it :)

Right now I am running the RTX 2060 with 16gb ddr3 ram. Issue is my motherboard supports the A Series AMD ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.  A55BM-E. Processor is a A10-6800K so not much room to upgrade there sadly. Basically need a new eveyrhting with the MB. 

1 minute ago, Nick Chapple said:

Right now I am running the RTX 2060 with 16gb ddr3 ram. Issue is my motherboard supports the A Series AMD ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.  A55BM-E. Processor is a A10-6800K so not much room to upgrade there sadly. Basically need a new eveyrhting with the MB. 

Yeah, with that board, definately a upgrade needed ;)

Personally, from your list, I would have made a few changes.

Spend a bit less on a great motherboard, and use those bucks to upgrade the PSU.

MSI Gaming B350 Tomahawk

Corsair RMX Series 850W Gold Certified

I've used Kingston memory in past builds, it's decent memory.  These days, I am more of a Corsair or GSkills fan.  I don't do any OC'ing, so I tend to get the fastest clock speeds as I can afford, and yet not waste too much money or energy on cooling systems.

28 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

I've used Kingston memory in past builds, it's decent memory.  These days, I am more of a Corsair or GSkills fan.  I don't do any OC'ing, so I tend to get the fastest clock speeds as I can afford, and yet not waste too much money or energy on cooling systems. 

G.Skill lover here. Bought them ever since the 1156 days. They NEVER gave me a problem.

• Like 1

I recently picked up a 2600 with a RX 570, and so far I've hit no bottlenecks, my CPU typically stays under 50% while my GPU struggles a little bit. (OW, fortnite, Apex, WoW, haven't played SUPER recent AAA titles)

Kingston is fine, but Corsair and G.Skill are top dogs these days, for what its worth.

Interesting note- it appears that AMD is getting ready to release new CPUs, and they've cut prices on their whole Ryzen line as best I can tell. The 2600x is going for ~$180. Most people will tell you the 2600 is the best price/performance, but it may be worth looking into. Even if you just want to wait now due to new CPUs dropping. Eitherway, 2600 has been a solid performer for me.

27 minutes ago, siijunn said:

I recently picked up a 2600 with a RX 570, and so far I've hit no bottlenecks, my CPU typically stays under 50% while my GPU struggles a little bit. (OW, fortnite, Apex, WoW, haven't played SUPER recent AAA titles)

Kingston is fine, but Corsair and G.Skill are top dogs these days, for what its worth.

Interesting note- it appears that AMD is getting ready to release new CPUs, and they've cut prices on their whole Ryzen line as best I can tell. The 2600x is going for ~$180. Most people will tell you the 2600 is the best price/performance, but it may be worth looking into. Even if you just want to wait now due to new CPUs dropping. Eitherway, 2600 has been a solid performer for me.

Ditto across the board.

2600 is across the floor best for your wallet. It's not too expensive, and it packs a punch. My i5 6400 used to charge up to 100%. 2600 doesnt go above 40%...

G.Skill, Corsair, Crucial, or Kingston for me. (In that order) Ballistix used to be good back in the 775 days. Not sure about them now.

But to say the least, every RAM stick is potentially the same. Not exact, but pretty darn close. Buy the cheaper, but not the cheapest. Get names you know.

G.Skill lover here. Bought them ever since the 1156 days. They NEVER gave me a problem.

Back when I first upgraded my AMD Athlon XP system to the 3200XP CPU, I bought Corsair's XMS Series 512MB sticks.  Four of them; the ones that first had LEDs that lit up in series as the memory is being used.  One of the first builds where the CPU had a 400MHz FSB, and matched the memory's 400MHz FSB.  These days, it's not so common to have a 1:1 FSB ratio.

Haven't looked back since... at least for my main PC.  

37050269.jpg

RTX is under 170w under load, so why wouldn't a 650w PSU work?  Total system power in an AnandTech article is 322w.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JbRv7W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JbRv7W/by_merchant/

CPU: *AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($164.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Team - L5 LITE 3D 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: *Seagate - Constellation ES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.49 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: *Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $812.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-13 17:19 EDT-0400

12 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Memory: *G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Seagate - Constellation ES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.49 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card  ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: *Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg) 

Stop doing this, please....

2 hours ago, farmeunit said:

RTX is under 170w under load, so why wouldn't a 650w PSU work?  Total system power in an AnandTech article is 322w.

That is true.

However, in this day and age.. with quality hardware, it always pays to spend a few dollars more on a quality PSU.  I would never recommend having one with just a few watts over the required need.

For me.. if a system maxed out, would drain near 450W.. I'd purchase a minimum of 800W... and at least bronze certified.  A quality PSU leaves little to doubt when it comes to performance, system stability.. and having it and not needing it, is better than needing it and not having it.

Also leaves out questioning whether or not further upgrade additions (cards/drives/more ram) etc.. can be handled by the PSU.

38 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

That is true.

However, in this day and age.. with quality hardware, it always pays to spend a few dollars more on a quality PSU.  I would never recommend having one with just a few watts over the required need.

For me.. if a system maxed out, would drain near 450W.. I'd purchase a minimum of 800W... and at least bronze certified.  A quality PSU leaves little to doubt when it comes to performance, system stability.. and having it and not needing it, is better than needing it and not having it.

Also leaves out questioning whether or not further upgrade additions (cards/drives/more ram) etc.. can be handled by the PSU.

Exactly that... I previously had a 750W. Now, with my new system, I have a 1200W. Do I use all that power, do I OC, SLI, etc. No. More powerfull PSU's last longer than the $50 ones...

Also, I live by this in all builds I suggest and build myself.: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

...make a whole lot more sense than just posting links

Just now, Mockingbird said:

...make a whole lot more sense than just posting links

You gave no reasoning... look at our suggestions. Your's means crap nothing...

14 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Exactly that... I previously had a 750W. Now, with my new system, I have a 1200W. Do I use all that power, do I OC, SLI, etc. No. More powerfull PSU's last longer than the $50 ones...

Also, I live by this in all builds I suggest and build myself.: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

I understand buying a quality PSU, but he would still have over 150 watts of available power and that is "if" he decided on SLI.  If the price isn't much more, sure, go for it.  But it's hardly necessary.  Power doesn't determine life.

14 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You gave no reasoning... look at our suggestions. Your's means crap nothing...

He was just suggesting something.  OP can take it or leave it.

Not sure why the talk of SLI with respect to the power supply ... the 2060 doesn't support SLI.

Wattage is fine for this system ... could even go lower...not suggesting OP does that ...but it is a relative low wattage build.

15 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Not sure why the talk of SLI with respect to the power supply ... the 2060 doesn't support SLI.

Wattage is fine for this system ... could even go lower...not suggesting OP does that ...but it is a relative low wattage build.

2060 doesn't? That's new to me...

29 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

He was just suggesting something.  OP can take it or leave it.

MockingBird posts these all the time, never gives any reason. Just bam, a pcpartpicker link.

31 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I understand buying a quality PSU, but he would still have over 150 watts of available power and that is "if" he decided on SLI.  If the price isn't much more, sure, go for it.  But it's hardly necessary.  Power doesn't determine life.

Yes, it does not make it live any longer. BUT it does have better hardware. Not just talking about SLI, that was an example...

18 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

MockingBird posts these all the time, never gives any reason. Just bam, a pcpartpicker link.

Yes, it does not make it live any longer. BUT it does have better hardware. Not just talking about SLI, that was an example...

Neither the 2060 or the 2070 support SLI/NVLink...have to get a 2080/2080ti.

My suggestions were personal on my part.

However, I will stand by my point of having a really good power supply.. a component not to be overlooked.  And, to top it off.. having a 550 or 650W PSU for one that runs 380W worth of system hardware (for the sake of the conversation) leaves less headroom for future upgrades.

Even though the 2060/ 2070 isn't.. after looking at the specs and base price, paying double for two cards, doubling up on PSU cables (oh, having a great PSU to cover the requirements!).. it really would make more sense to just drop roughly another $100 on a 2080.

Base price on a 2060 (given said vendor's price) at $350 or so, and the 2080 at roughly $800.

Bonus - skip any driver or game headaches for SLI.

3 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

Even though the 2060/ 2070 isn't.. after looking at the specs and base price, paying double for two cards, doubling up on PSU cables (oh, having a great PSU to cover the requirements!).. it really would make more sense to just drop roughly another $100 on a 2080.

Base price on a 2060 (given said vendor's price) at $350 or so, and the 2080 at roughly $800.

Bonus - skip any driver or game headaches for SLI.

Well, you can still have 2 or more GFX cards in your system, and not have them SLI/XFired. But still, you will need the extra juice to power them both.

You CAN do a lot of things.  We can play what ifs all day.  Total system power is 322 with a 2060.  With a 2080, let's say 55 more, so 375.  Another 2080 would add 225, so 600.  Still enough.  If he wants to spend more on more power he can, but there is ZERO point in doing it right now.  In 2-3 years, he might want to upgrade a lot of things and he can upgrade PSU then.  Sure it's nice to have a little cushion, but his projected system power is HALF what he needs in a PSU at this time.

37 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

You CAN do a lot of things.  We can play what ifs all day.  Total system power is 322 with a 2060.  With a 2080, let's say 55 more, so 375.  Another 2080 would add 225, so 600.  Still enough.  If he wants to spend more on more power he can, but there is ZERO point in doing it right now.  In 2-3 years, he might want to upgrade a lot of things and he can upgrade PSU then.  Sure it's nice to have a little cushion, but his projected system power is HALF what he needs in a PSU at this time.

You have to count in other parts as well... Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD(s), etc... GFX cards are the most power hungry, yes, but not the only thing you are powering.