How to set time since column in Windows Explorer I.e. a few seconds ago, last week, last month.

A while ago on one of the releases I noticed I can see a column in Explorer that would give me how long ago it was created or modified.

Example: a few seconds ago, last week, last month.

It appears I have looked everywhere apart from where the setting is.

Does it still exist?

If so, how do I turn it on?

Do you mean the "date modified" column?

Y0oVuwA.png

If it isn't there by default you can select it under the View>Add columns section. There's also the ability to create a column that can tell you when the item was created.

1 minute ago, Nick H. said:

Do you mean the "date modified" column?

If it isn't there by default you can select it under the View>Add columns section. There's also the ability to create a column that can tell you when the item was created.

Thank you Nick, I have that column.

There is and I've seen the ability to have that column, or similar name and have it in a readable how long ago format.

I've searched Google, and I'm struggling with how to ask.  Google has the answer, I just don't have the right question. 😂

1) In File Explorer, navigate to the folder you want to enable this on

2) Right click the column area and select Date Created

If Date Created isn't there, then:

2) Right click the column area and select More

3) Scroll until you find Date Created in the list

4) Check the box alongside Date Created

5) Press OK

You should now have a Date Created column for that folder in File Explorer. If memory serves, this isn't a setting that works across the folder structures - it only applies to the specific folder you've performed the above actions on.

21 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

<Steps>

Yeah, that was my suggestion as well. But he wants to change the format of the information, so rather than it saying "date modified: 18/03/2019 11:40" it would say, "modified 3 days ago" if I understand correctly?

23 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

2) Right click the column area and select Date Created

If Date Created isn't there, then:

2) Right click the column area and select More

3) Scroll until you find Date Created in the list

4) Check the box alongside Date Created

5) Press OK

You should now have a Date Created column for that folder in File Explorer. If memory serves, this isn't a setting that works across the folder structures - it only applies to the specific folder you've performed the above actions on.

Thank you, appreciate the steps. However, as Nick stated it's about how the information is displayed. I do believe it was in one of the windows insider releases, I am running the latest from the fast release. Perhaps they removed it again?

5 minutes ago, stevember said:

Thank you, appreciate the steps. However, as Nick stated it's about how the information is displayed. I do believe it was in one of the windows insider releases, I am running the latest from the fast release. Perhaps they removed it again?

Ah OK,. I don't ever recall Windows having that information displayed that way. :(

3 minutes ago, stevember said:

Apparently it is only available to some, so I must have had it at some point and then lost it.

Oh, interesting. Although I'm glad that they are making it optional rather than forcing everyone to adopt it.

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Oh, interesting. Although I'm glad that they are making it optional rather than forcing everyone to adopt it.

Yes, I suspect the creatives will love it. The analyst would hate it. The right/left brain thinking.

Are you thinking more of the filtering feature of date modified?

filter.thumb.png.c913b6c8a61cf65bd61b9fb31d0a083b.png

I don't recall ever seeing that listed like you describe.

Ah - think your talking about this

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/12/02/microsoft-begins-testing-file-explorer-tweaks-in-windows-10-19h1/

dates.thumb.png.e47db9b21ae0fbbb2ac825326aebc7fd.png

Here is other info

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/at-home/whats-new-wip-at-home-19h1

usefriendly.thumb.png.3ce66bf0d6011e3b7dc79b87ff66233c.png

Your google fu is just lacking as all - here is another link

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-enable-friendly-dates-file-explorer/

How to Enable Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

Starting with Windows 10 1903, Windows File Explorer is introducing a new feature for displaying dates on files called “Use Friendly Dates”.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:52 PM, BudMan said:

Here is other info

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-insider/at-home/whats-new-wip-at-home-19h1

usefriendly.thumb.png.3ce66bf0d6011e3b7dc79b87ff66233c.png

Your google fu is just lacking as all - here is another link

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-10-enable-friendly-dates-file-explorer/

How to Enable Friendly Dates in Windows 10 File Explorer

Starting with Windows 10 1903, Windows File Explorer is introducing a new feature for displaying dates on files called “Use Friendly Dates”.

Yeah, that's what it was. I did manage to find the information, some users have it and some users do not. I did update  above with this information but thank you for putting it all together.

• 4 months later...

I think this ability may be available in the latest Windows 10 also, but it may be optional, you have to alter some settings to get it. Since I don't want this feature so I don't bother to invest few hours in this.

If I am not mistaken......

You want period of time......... but Windows file explore shows point of time by default.

2/3 years ago when I was developing my website BakingReview.com, that time I needed this feature and I successfully did it. Because I had to find word files from the download folder based on how many days before I downloaded them....... from Freelancer.com and other websites.