Unable to ping single device on LAN

I am unable to ping just this one device on the local network.

Ping returns "Destination host unreachable", but it also says : sent 4 received 4, 0% loss.

I understand this to mean the device is receiving the packets, but is not acknowledging this?

All other devices work fine.

I f I use the FING app on my phone, I can ping the device successfully.

The device is a biometric fingerprint time clock. The time and attendance software returns "Unable to connect device" error.

I tried it on another LAN and it works fine.

The LAN is a very simple one, set up in a small office, and consists of ISP fibre router/modem, one PC, two wireless printers, and the time clock, which is hard wired to the router LAN port.

Believe me, I have been trawling the Internet for days, with no luck. I would deeply appreciate any help.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:27 PM, Ice_Blue said:

I understand this to mean the device is receiving the packets, but is not acknowledging this?

Where did you get that from?

First thing you need to validate is that the mac is correct.

So when you ping the IP.. lets say its 192.168.9.10 for example since going to use that as example.

So try and ping it.. After it fails, or you can stop the ping look in your arp table.. arp -a, do you see it listed?

Interface: 192.168.9.100 --- 0x1f
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.9.9           00-1f-29-54-17-15     dynamic
  192.168.9.10          00-11-32-7b-29-7d     dynamic
  192.168.9.11          00-11-32-7b-29-7e     dynamic

So you see for me 9.10 is 00-11-32-7b-29-7d, validate that is actually the mac of the device!!! By looking on the device, etc..  If you say your fing can ping it - what does your fing report as the mac for the IP your pinging?

Now ping something that doesn't actually even exist..

$ ping 192.168.9.52

Pinging 192.168.9.52 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.9.52:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

So your saying that since sent, the device got the pings but didn't answer?  How could that be - there is NO device with that IP on the network!!

if you look in the arp table you will not see any mac, or you will see an invalid entry, etc. etc.

So is where your pinging from both wired, or wired and wireless, or wireless and wireless?

9 hours ago, BudMan said:

Where did you get that from? 

That the ping results say 0% loss.

arp -a from the PC connected to the same router does not show the device.

9 hours ago, BudMan said:

So your saying that since sent, the device got the pings but didn't answer?  How could that be - there is NO device with that IP on the network!! 

But there is.

Device is set to DHCP, and acquired an IP address immediately.
Like I said, I can successfully ping the device from my phone.

Also, like I said, the device is connected directly to an Ethernet port on the router.

Thanks for your response.

So lets see the arp table of your device then right after you ping it.

Also lets make sure your device has the correct mask, your device got its IP from dhcp as well?  Your pinger device is also wired?

1) set static IP on clock device

2) or Wireshark it, get correct IP>login>set static IP

3) profit

are you sure your computer and your time clocks are on the same "lan" or have a route to communicate to each other.  If it were one of my networks, they would not be on the same network as a computer network and they would not communicate to any of the office networks.    Your phone may exist on the same outside network as the time clock and also not be accessible either via a computer on the office network.

these devices are considered unsecure as IT has no way to secure them.

have you spoken to your network admins? It's not uncommon practice to disable pinging on a business network

edit: you don't need to open up any ports on the router the time clock is on do you?

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

have you spoken to your network admins? It's not uncommon practice to disable pinging on a business network

edit: you don't need to open up any ports on the router the time clock is on do you?

time clocks generally talk out, outbound communication is rarely blocked.

"arp -a from the PC connected to the same router does not show the device."

Then NO Your never going to be able to ping it! period end of story... Unless as mentioned this device is on a different L2?  But your OP sounds like your just connected to soho wireless routers lan ports.

But if your saying wireless can ping it, but your wired device can not.. And you can not arp for it.. ie its not in your arp table after you attempt to ping then your boxes are not in the same L2..  Or there is something else wrong like your PC cable, or connection in general - but take it this pc yoru trying to ping from can get elsewhere, internet etc..

If your on a different L2 then you would have to be able to route to get to it L3..

What is the specific make and model of the "router" your connecting too?  And when you look on this pc.. Its windows?  if you do a ipconfig /all from cmd line it shows you in network what?

IP 192.168.x.x

mask 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.168.x.x

And this all matches up with the device your trying to ping as far as numbers and mask?