I need to get my daughter a new cell phone

My daughter is currently using a Moto G Play XT1607 and has been for ~3 years now. She and my wife are reporting that the phone recently has started randomly powering off and on, as well as not ringing on random calls. My wife thinks that I need to spend $200 and buy here the phone that I have (Moto X4 Android One) but I am not ready to spend $200 for her since she is still in school and not working, and will be 18 this summer. She currently has service with Verizon (prepaid) but I am hoping to get her to switch to Redpocket Mobile, considering it is cheaper. I feel that spending $100 to $150 max would be more then reasonable for a phone. Also worh mentioning I will not entertain the idea of buying an iPhone, so please do not suggest that.

7 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

My daughter is currently using a Moto G Play XT1607 and has been for ~3 years now. She and my wife are reporting that the phone recently has started randomly powering off and on, as well as not ringing on random calls. My wife thinks that I need to spend $200 and buy here the phone that I have (Moto X4 Android One) but I am not ready to spend $200 for her since she is still in school and not working, and will be 18 this summer. She currently has service with Verizon (prepaid) but I am hoping to get her to switch to Redpocket Mobile, considering it is cheaper. I feel that spending $100 to $150 max would be more then reasonable for a phone. Also worh mentioning I will not entertain the idea of buying an iPhone, so please do not suggest that.

Any specific requirements?

Just now, Elliot B. said:

Any specific requirements?

Other then being Android, I don't think so.

9 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Other then being Android, I don't think so.

Your worldwide options (released in 2018 or 2019 and still in production, €100/$115)-€150/$175), Android 8.0 and above, Bluetooth 4.1 and above and has GPS):

• alcatel 1x
  • Coolpad Cool Play 8
  • Honor 7A
  • Honor 7s
  • Honor Play 8A
  • Huawei Y5 lite (2018)
  • Huawei Y5 Prime (2018)
  • Huawei Y6 (2018)
  • Huawei Y6 (2019)
  • Huawei Y6 Prime (2018)
  • Huawei Y6 Pro (2019)
  • Huawei Y7 (2018)
  • Huawei Y7 (2019)
  • Huawei Y7 Pro (2018)
  • Lenovo A5
  • Lenovo K5 Note (2018)
  • Lenovo K5 play
  • Lenovo K5 Pro
  • Lenovo K9
  • Lenovo S5
  • Meizu C9 Pro
  • Meizu V8
  • Meizu V8 Pro
  • Micromax Infinity N11
  • Micromax Infinity N12
  • Motorola Moto E5 
  • Motorola Moto E5 Play Go
  • Motorola Moto G6 Play 
  • Motorola Moto G7 Play
  • Nokia 3.1
  • Nokia 3.1 Plus
  • Nokia 5.1 Plus (Nokia X5)
  • Oppo A3s
  • Panasonic Eluga Ray 530
  • Panasonic Eluga Ray 600
  • Realme 1
  • Realme 2
  • Realme 3
  • Realme C1
  • Realme U1
  • Samsung Galaxy A10
  • Samsung Galaxy J2 Core
  • Samsung Galaxy J2 Pro (2018)
  • Samsung Galaxy J3 (2018)
  • Samsung Galaxy J4
  • Samsung Galaxy J4 Core
  • Samsung Galaxy M10
  • Samsung Galaxy On6
  • vivo Y71
  • vivo Y71i
  • vivo Y81i
  • vivo Y91i
  • Vodafone Smart X9
  • Xiaomi Redmi 6
  • Xiaomi Redmi 7
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
  • Xiaomi Redmi S2 (Redmi Y2)
  • ZTE Blade V9

Source: https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

• Thanks 1

So my wife is pretty adamant that I buy our daughter a new phone, and (of course) she like the one I bought for myself. My question is: choosing between Nokia and Motorola, which one would be better? They are both similar price range, and both have android one. 

10 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So my wife is pretty adamant that I buy our daughter a new phone, and (of course) she like the one I bought for myself. My question is: choosing between Nokia and Motorola, which one would be better? They are both similar price range, and both have android one. 

I have a Moto E4 that I'm pretty happy with. I never used Motorola, but it seems to have frequent upgrades.

It is a budget phone, but it packs a punch.

Edit: that reminds me, I changed my phone on my profile...

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have a Moto E4 that I'm pretty happy with. I never used Motorola, but it seems to have frequent upgrades.

It is a budget phone, but it packs a punch.

I believe that the E4 does not work with Verizon, so it is out of the question :(

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I believe that the E4 does not work with Verizon, so it is out of the question :(

I see the E5 in there. that shouldn't be all that different...

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I see the E5 in there. that shouldn't be all that different...

I think you are right, it will still a little while before I give in and buy another phone for her (though in all fairness, she has had her current phone for ~3 years). I still am curious if there is much difference between the Nokia's and the Motorola's, I am considering both.

install OFFER app on your phone, it has hundreds of phones open box/sealed for cheap (a birthday gifts i hope)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Marujan said:

install OFFER app on your phone, it has hundreds of phones open box/sealed for cheap (a birthday gifts i hope)

Cool, I will look at this

On 3/25/2019 at 1:28 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

If your network works with Fi phones (I know AT&T does, dunno anyone else really) they get great deals every so often.

The E5 is also a great deal (I had an E4 and had almost no complaints.)

5 minutes ago, LostCat said:

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

If your network works with Fi phones (I know AT&T does, dunno anyone else really) they get great deals every so often.

The E5 is also a great deal (I had an E4 and had almost no complaints.)

The E5 will not work with Verizon (her carrier, atm) so that is out of the question for now :(

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up getting her a Motorola X4, like mine, but I bought the Amazon Prime edition for $129.99, vs the $188.99 that the regular version was selling for.

Nice.  I do like my X4s support so far.  Best Android experience I've ever had in that regards.

I can't say its the best phone ever but it's certainly not the worst.

17 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I ended up getting her a Motorola X4, like mine, but I bought the Amazon Prime edition for $129.99, vs the $188.99 that the regular version was selling for.

Was she excited to get it?

20 hours ago, Jazmac said:

Was she excited to get it?

She just got it today, and they are going to the Verizon store to get a different SIM card, because the one in her current phone is too big, But I would say she is excited!!

40 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

She just got it today, and they are going to the Verizon store to get a different SIM card, because the one in her current phone is too big, But I would say she is excited!!

If it’s more convenient, you can trim it down in size with scissors. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

If it’s more convenient, you can trim it down in size with scissors. 

Her mother went to the store with the phone and got it fixed, was also told that the SIM card in the old phone would've stopped working by this summer when Verizon is done updating all the towers (old tech I guess)

14 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Now that's what's up. Congrats on being there, dad.