Best MPEG2 Decoder & Encoder?

This might seem like an odd ball topic, but what is consider the best or top Windows Decoder and Encoder for windows?

Edited by Eternal Tempest

I prefer Handbreak for larger Encoding/Decoding needs but for simple container switching or something I tend to use the ffmpeg command line tool

I hate these sorts of questions... Best at what exactly?

Your going to have to give some hints to your wants and needs... The "best" choice for me, might not be anywhere close to what your looking and hoping for in a piece of software..

Are you looking for ease of use, feature set, cost? 

How about you describe what your wanting to do, and we can suggest how we do that thing and what tool(s) we use and maybe "why" we believe its the "best" etc..

decoder/encoder?  Are you looking to transcode stuff from other then mpeg2.. Or you looking to watch and record stuff?

The already mentioned handbrake is normally a fine choice for a "transcoder"...  For moving stuff to my container of choice (mkv) without transcoding the actual codec I just use mkvtoolnix gui, which... Along with some other tools that make working with that container so easy..

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 5:43 AM, BudMan said:

I hate these sorts of questions... Best at what exactly?

Your going to have to give some hints to your wants and needs... The "best" choice for me, might not be anywhere close to what your looking and hoping for in a piece of software..

Are you looking for ease of use, feature set, cost? 

How about you describe what your wanting to do, and we can suggest how we do that thing and what tool(s) we use and maybe "why" we believe its the "best" etc..

decoder/encoder?  Are you looking to transcode stuff from other then mpeg2.. Or you looking to watch and record stuff?

The already mentioned handbrake is normally a fine choice for a "transcoder"...  For moving stuff to my container of choice (mkv) without transcoding the actual codec I just use mkvtoolnix gui, which... Along with some other tools that make working with that container so easy..

Quality > Speed / Size and willing to purchase (within reason).

Edited by Eternal Tempest

It seem that right now, all of your available options are FFmpeg-based. So, you might as well go with FFmpeg itself. It's free. It is a command-line tool, so it is marginally faster than HandBrake (also free) or XMediaRecode (free as well).

I expected Adobe to have some incredibly expensive high-end one, but surprise! They have moved on. x262 from VideoLAN is your only other true alternative, but that's encoder only and you have to compile it.

Now, I know you said "Decoder", but if you meant "Player", I suggest you go with PotPlayer.

47 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

Quality > Speed / Size and willing to purchase (within reason).

Huh?  What exactly are you trying decode or encode.. You have a file and you want to shrink it via changing to to x265 vs x264?  Your not able to play this video? 

How about you describe what your wanting to do example... You have file xyz, and you want to transcode it to a different container or codec? Both?