Recommend: Wireless Router for home (2 Level Loft Apartment)

My current wireless router is getting old (4+ years) and getting frequent loss of internet connectivity, both wired and wireless and I think it's starting to die on me. Is there a router people could recommend?

Our usage is primarily wired Internet streaming of TV shows on a Roku, wireless for when I work from home, and wireless for 2 smartphones (android). My office is the second floor, which is a loft (line of sight to the router).

I saw good reviews on the TP-Link Archer C2300 and leaning towards that for the price, ~$135

Anyone else use this one?

what is your internet speed?  Will that being going up anytime soon?

Guess your ISP doesn't provide?  What device do you have currently from isp?  Make and model - or is your internet provided by the complex and you just have a jack to plug your router into?

If both wired and wirelss having problems - how do you know its not just internet issues with your isp?

do you have any Wireless AC devices? will help narrow down the selection if you don't make use of AC

21 minutes ago, BudMan said:

The smart phones must be freaking ancient if they are not AC ;)

or low/mid-range phones ;). until recently AC was only found on flagships

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

or low/mid-range phones ;). until recently AC was only found on flagships

Exactly, not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford the latest and greatest.

I have had great luck with netgear routers.  The R7000 and R8000 are really kick ass routers.

Could always go mesh and have better coverage if needed.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

what is your internet speed?  Will that being going up anytime soon?

Guess your ISP doesn't provide?  What device do you have currently from isp?  Make and model - or is your internet provided by the complex and you just have a jack to plug your router into?

If both wired and wirelss having problems - how do you know its not just internet issues with your isp?

It is 60Mbps. The modem is Arris TG1682. It does not include wireless b/c that would have been more $$$. Connected to that is my wireless router, D-Link DIR-826L.

I suspect it is the router because the only thing plugged into the modem is the router from D-Link

49 minutes ago, BudMan said:

The smart phones must be freaking ancient if they are not AC ;)

The smartphones are Samsung Galaxy S8+ and iPhone 8+

To eliminate the modem, next time it goes down, instead of reseting both the modem and router, will just reset the router. While not conclusive, figured replacing the router will be much easier than fighting with my ISP to get them to fix the issue.

802.11ac has been around since 2013...   Hard for to me to imagine buying any phone and not have it support AC... ###### my $149 (fireHD) tablets I bought my grandkids (8 and 4 years old) support AC ;)

But guess true, there are people using flip phones still..

But even in that case - what wireless router would you be buying for $135 price range did not support AC?  And why would you?

But with only 60mbps internet, sure AC not a requirement at all..

I wouldn't buy anything until concluded its the router and not the internet or isp devices having issues.  And the mentioned mesh would be good idea and can be be started out for under that price range... The google home wifi is only $99 at amazon.. Then can just add node if he needs more coverage elsewhere..

Or shoot luma 2 pack is under 100 on amazon for sure..

I'll second "Why would you?" as AC routers were shown to help N connectivity also.

I'm a huge fan of mesh networking for larger spaces, though they can be poor for some use cases (Google Wifi is great for general use all around and constant platform updates for security, but the kit isn't amazing for gaming.)

1 minute ago, LostCat said:

I'll second "Why would you?" as AC routers were shown to help N connectivity also.

price mostly. I could recommend some cheaper just as reliable routers if AC was not a concern.

AC router prices are coming down but most are still $150+ for the quality ones.

Looks like OP does have some AC capable phones though so an AC capable router may be worth while.

I agree with Budman though; I'd personally want to completely rule out the ISP being at fault before I purchased a new router :)

• 2 weeks later...