NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Mobile vs 1050 Mobile; what's the difference & is it justified?

There is a nice 'bargain' for a notebook... the Asus TUF FX705GD-EW106T. It has a 1050 GeForce card in it.

I am also looking at the MSI GF75 9SC-072 with a 1650 nvidia one.

The MSI is 350 EUR (= 390 USD) more expensive.

Is the price difference worth it?

If this is the only difference not really. A 16050 is not worth 390$ USD more than a 1050. It's better but you'll have to tune things down with both gpu.

12 minutes ago, LaP said:

If this is the only difference not really. A 16050 is not worth 390$ USD more than a 1050. It's better but you'll have to tune things down with both gpu.

Not only just that, also: 

Intel Core i7-9750H vs Intel Core i7-8750H

additional HDD; 7200rpm vs 5400rpm

Both in favor of MSI.

Get the ASUS TUF...

I dont think you are playing AAA games at max. Being this is a laptop, too, you know the 1650 isn't that much more powerful than the 1050...

Note: I don't have any idea on the currency being used here, so all units are from a NL website with numbers that are somewhat close to the original "1449" whatever that might represent... From a quick look at the pricing, it seems to me that the most gaming Value right now might come from a focus on a 1070.

Your 1650 unit for reference: 

GF75 [17 inch] - 1449https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/829240/msi-gf75-9sc-072nl.html

The 1650 seems a bit weak. The 1060 is similar in performance to a 1650 but the 2060 is quite a jump up - seems like a larger jump than any 1xxx to 2xxx. The 1660 Ti is similar to a 1070.

1060:

MSI GF62 [15 inch] - 1299https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/816260/msi-gf62-8re-041nl.html

HP Omen 17-an194nd [17 inch] - 1349 https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/813075/hp-omen-17-an194nd.html

2060:

MSI GL63 [15 inch] - 1659https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/824741/msi-gl63-8se-058nl.html

1660 Ti:

GS75 [17 inch] - 2049https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/829233/msi-gs75-9sd-265nl.html

1070:

HP Omen 15-dc0982nd [15 inch] - 1649https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/813072/hp-omen-15-dc0982nd.html

HP Omen 17-an104nd [17 inch] - 1899https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/815161/hp-omen-17-an104nd.html

2070:

MSI GE75 [17 inch] - 2249https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/824766/msi-ge75-8sf-005nl.html

Asus ROG Strix GL704GW-EV004T [17 inch] - 2249 https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/824917/asus-rog-strix-gl704gw-ev004t.html

Lenovo Legion Y740-17ICHg 81HH000RMH [17 inch] - 2349https://www.coolblue.nl/en/product/824878/lenovo-legion-y740-17ichg-81hh000rmh.html

@DevTech

Thanks for links, but we do not know his intention for this notebook. Maybe he isn't a hard gamer. So that 1650 would not matter to him.

And second, I doubt he has this much money on him... (above links)

9 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Not only just that, also: 

Intel Core i7-9750H vs Intel Core i7-8750H

additional HDD; 7200rpm vs 5400rpm

Both in favor of MSI.

Don't ever buy a laptop with a 5400 rpm hdd if you plan to work with it. You'll have to replace it so you absolutely must add the cost of the replacement to the laptop. 5400 rmp will kill the best machine out there it's the worst bottle neck possible for work. It's not too bad fg you just play games and check mail but if you plan to do any kind of work a 5400 rmp hdd will kill the computer and make it slow no matter what. Just doing a create-react-app on a 5400 rpm hdd is painful.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

@DevTech

Thanks for links, but we do not know his intention for this notebook. Maybe he isn't a hard gamer. So that 1650 would not matter to him.

And second, I doubt he has this much money on him... (above links)

Really, can you yourself even believe what you just wrote? Pot calling the kettle black?

You know absolutely no more about his planned usage than I do, even though we have both decided to SPECULATE based on whatever Sherlock Holmes type of clues that we think we are seeing.

My personal Sherlock Holmes Spidy Sense tells me this:

1. He has no firm plans to purchase a laptop, just a nagging sense of obsolescence because NVIDIA dropped support for his GPU.

2. His SIG indicates he likes to buy QUALITY equipment and then hold onto it for a LONG time.

3. That leads to the concept that he values actual VALUE more than a cheap price.

4. Therefore I conclude that he will be very disappointed in the longevity of the 1050 and the 1650 and attempted to show that a suitable 1070 could be located for not much more cost. Believe me, I scoured a lot of units to find affordable 1070s and even linked to a couple of 15 inch units when I'm pretty sure he wants a 17 inch, but in general you can find a better deal on a 15 inch.

-------------------------------

Now that I have provided the reasoning (correct or not) behind my post, I would like to point out a bigger issue that seems to produce a BLIND SPOT in a few people.

It is extremely common that in diagnosing and solving almost any human problem that most people develop tunnel vision and can't see the "forest for the trees." One of the greatest services that we can provide as outsiders to the subjective life of the poster is to jolt them into ideas they might not of thought of. This kind of IDEA SPARK can often even come from ideas they don't like at all. But like a series of dominoes, it can lead to a better outcome in the end.

So if I suggest for any hardware selection something that is out of left field or costs a lot less or costs a lot more, then that is the silliest thing to object to since these are all ideas that can easily be ignored by moving the eyeball to the next post, but in the course of considering or rejecting the idea, good things can happen!

But one technique in any type of purchase scenario from computers to cars to real estate is to think "What would I buy if I had a lot more money?" That gets you to define what your ideal scenarios and objectives are and then as you reduce the money back to reality you justify the trade-off you have to make to end up with the best value for the money which can very often be a very different outcome than starting at the other end, since you often find out that a feature you didn't think about that is extremely useful is for example double your budget. For people living in a FIRST WORLD COUNTRY all you have to do in order to double your budget is just WAIT a little longer to perhaps end up with MORE THAN DOUBLE the VALUE.

Pointing out the WAIT OPTION is ALWAYS a GOOD THING. :)

1 hour ago, LaP said:

Don't ever buy a laptop with a 5400 rpm hdd if you plan to work with it. You'll have to replace it so you absolutely must add the cost of the replacement to the laptop. 5400 rmp will kill the best machine out there it's the worst bottle neck possible for work. It's not too bad fg you just play games and check mail but if you plan to do any kind of work a 5400 rmp hdd will kill the computer and make it slow no matter what. Just doing a create-react-app on a 5400 rpm hdd is painful.

"the devil is in the details"

Computer tech stuff is all about the details... which must mean we are in a Devilish business!

Both of the laptops he was looking at have SSD boot drives.

In one, the secondary drive is 5400, the other 7200.

So you missed that detail, but it doesn't matter because we would need to know a whole bunch more details on what he uses his laptop for.

In your example of Web Dev, he can probably fit all the important tooling on the SSD. But once you leave the silly JS of the Month web world, the secondary drive could be critical for:

- Game Dev where baking levels and procedural texture generation could need a couple of Terabytes of SSD.

- Video editing

- Graphics Asset processing

- and many more.

On the opposite end, if all his tooling can be stored on his boot SSD, then a secondary 5400 can be superior to a 7200 to store large amounts of data at much lower power consumption, leading to improved battery life.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

(...)

My personal Sherlock Holmes Spidy Sense tells me this:

1. He has no firm plans to purchase a laptop, just a nagging sense of obsolescence because NVIDIA dropped support for his GPU.

2. His SIG indicates he likes to buy QUALITY equipment and then hold onto it for a LONG time.

3. That leads to the concept that he values actual VALUE more than a cheap price.

4. Therefore I conclude that he will be very disappointed in the longevity of the 1050 and the 1650 and attempted to show that a suitable 1070 could be located for not much more cost. Believe me, I scoured a lot of units to find affordable 1070s and even linked to a couple of 15 inch units when I'm pretty sure he wants a 17 inch, but in general you can find a better deal on a 15 inch.

(....)

You're quite right about about that Sherlock ;)

I am looking for a decent replacement for my Asus NJ750V. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but like to play a game once in a while (like Anno 1800 now). Some nice graphics are nice to the eye, but not at all costs. Budget is around 1200-1450 EUR.

I would like to have a 17" screen, with at least an i7 processor (or AMD equivalent).

I do prefer Asus or MSI. I have no experience with HP, but I do know that a load of bloatware came pre-installed on HP devices in the past. Is this still the case? Or can I just 'clean install' this with only the necessary HP-drivers?

So from the alternatives listed by @DevTech (thx for that one), I guess the MSI GF75 9SC-072 is the most suitable option for me than... (or else HP Omen 17-an194nd and save me an extra 100 EUR)

29 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

You're quite right about about that Sherlock ;)

I am looking for a decent replacement for my Asus NJ750V. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but like to play a game once in a while (like Anno 1800 now). Some nice graphics are nice to the eye, but not at all costs. Budget is around 1200-1450 EUR.

I would like to have a 17" screen, with at least an i7 processor (or AMD equivalent).

I do prefer Asus or MSI. I have no experience with HP, but I do know that a load of bloatware came pre-installed on HP devices in the past. Is this still the case? Or can I just 'clean install' this with only the necessary HP-drivers?

So from the alternatives listed by @DevTech (thx for that one), I guess the MSI GF75 9SC-072 is the most suitable option for me than... (or else HP Omen 17-an194nd and save me an extra 100 EUR)

Can you tell me what kind of U.S. dollar equivalent that price would be? I ask because EU also has various taxes that add significant cost I think?

The OP in this thread ended up going with a HP Omen which I found quite interesting due to the probably surplus type low cost combined with a very rare 17" 4K display:

It has a still very capable 6700HQ and RAM etc and NVMe upgrade potential so it becomes an interesting artistic decision (if it can be located anywhere) between what is probably a fantastic viewing experience versus the GTX 965 which isn't horrible but is not a 1060.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3131518/hp-omen-17-review-great-gaming-performance-at-a-great-price.html

https://www.pcmag.com/review/348730/hp-omen-17

So, the HP Omen 17" sold with a 4K screen, a GTX 1070 and a i7 6700HQ at some point, and clearly @ranasrule found one...

That laptop has some longevity legs! 

I have an older Alienware 17" with a beautiful FHD display and a Dell XPS 15 9550 with a 4K display. So after 2 years, a day does not go by where I don't pause for a second and marvel at that 4K display. That just has to be a weighting factor in my subjective universe.

My next laptop will be a return to a much heavier, super thick (NOT THIN) expandable laptop with a 17" 4K display and a proper giant 330 watt power brick!

4K YES. Super thin, super throttle CPU and GPU to keep temps down, NO!

I mention all this to further refine your criteria of course and any resemblance to a rant on how modern trends sometimes moves things backwards for a tech enthusiast is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

1. Certain product lines within a brand may have better components, otherwise the only brand connection is the service footprint it has in your locality.

2. Product lines with better insides are Dell Alienware, Dell Precision, Dell XPS, Acer Nitro, Acer Preditor, ASUS ROG, HP Z series, HP Omen, Lenovo P series, Lenovo Y series, MSI Gaming series. Subjectively, I think the 3 Dell lines outshine the others by a hair or two...

3. Bloatware has no meaning for me since in most cases I would replace the boot drive of whatever new laptop I purchased with a Samsung 970 Pro NVMe and move the existing drive somewhere else. Some of the product lines listed above will ship with a top end Samsung NVMe in which case I would ZERO the drive with a low level utility so I could over-provision the spare flash cells and then clean install.

4. It may not be obvious at first, but even within a product line and certainly between manufacturers the "feel" of the keyboard can vary a lot. For me, the Dell XPS and the Acer Nitro models have outstanding keyboards but that is so so so subjective! So if you can, try to find a similar model in a giant electronics store and open a text editor and type on each for a few minutes. If the variation between laptops does not surprise you, I will be surprised!