Would an ADSL or VDSL wireless router be needed?

A friend has BT as their ISP, along with BT's Smart Hub 2 wireless router.

On Ebuyer, there are three wireless router categories:

• ADSL (32 products)
  • Cable (134 products)
  • Fibre / VDSL (21 products)

I know he doesn't need a cable router but would he need the top or bottom category?

Wikipedia says his current router is "ADSL2+ and VDSL2" but that's a mix of two different categories above.

He has a BT Openreach box on the wall and, though it's a fibre connection, I highly doubt it's FTTP.

46 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

A friend has BT as their ISP, along with BT's Smart Hub 2 wireless router.

On Ebuyer, there are three wireless router categories:

• ADSL (32 products)
  • Cable (134 products)
  • Fibre / VDSL (21 products)

I know he doesn't need a cable router but would he need the top or bottom category?

Wikipedia says his current router is "ADSL2+ and VDSL2" but that's a mix of two different categories above.

Without knowing what kind of connection your friend has, it’s going to be s but of a guessing game. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Without knowing what kind of connection your friend has, it’s going to be s but of a guessing game. 

It's "BT Fibre" but I highly doubt it's FTTP.

If it's anything like my Fibre then they will have a new white box on the wall with a separate connection for the phone and router. I have a VDSL Netgear D6400 but it also capable of doing ADSL

8 minutes ago, Depicus said:

If it's anything like my Fibre then they will have a new white box on the wall with a separate connection for the phone and router. I have a VDSL Netgear D6400 but it also capable of doing ADSL

There's a BT Openreach box on the wall.

Does the ‘white box’ look something like this?

0405DC58-EBD7-44BA-82C9-4632FC0E3C42.jpeg

20 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

Does the ‘white box’ look something like this?

<photo snipped>

I've been told no and that it looks like a normal phone socket with Openreach on it.

10 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

I've been told no and that it looks like a normal phone socket with Openreach on it.

So that is just a Master Socket.  You have some choices:

1. Get a VSDL Modem and a router than supports PPPoE (the router will only have RJ45 ports)
  2. Get a Router that has a built in VSDL modem (the router will have one RJ11 port and a bunch of RJ45 ports)

Personally, I would go the former route, because it gives you a wider choice of routers.  The downside is that you need 2 boxes.

You can pick up a second hand VSDL modem from eBay for £15 to £20 (sometimes less):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=vsdl+modem&_sacat=0

Or you can get a Draytek Vigor 130 (very highly rated) if you are looking for something after market:

https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130