Man screaming 'You die!' kills 33 at anime studio [Kyoto Animation]

Damn...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/world/2019/07/18/man-screaming-die-kills-least-anime-studio/39697119/

Man screaming 'You die!' kills 33 at anime studio

Tokyo  A man screaming You die! burst into an animation studio in Kyoto, doused it with a flammable liquid and set it on fire Thursday, killing 33 people in an attack that shocked people across Japan and brought an outpouring of grief from anime fans.

Thirty-six others were injured, some of them critically, in a blaze that sent people scrambling up the stairs toward the roof in a desperate  and futile  attempt to escape. Others emerged bleeding, blackened and barefoot.

The suspect was injured and taken to a hospital. Police identified him only a 41-year-old man who was not a company employee. They gave no immediate details on the motive.

Most of the victims were employees of Kyoto Animation, which does work on feature films and TV productions but is best known for its mega-hit stories featuring high school girls. The stories are so popular that some of the places depicted have become pilgrimage sites for fans.
>

Anyway, so the guy didn't work for the company and claimed something was stolen.  Wonder if he thought an idea of his was stolen.  Still, he took it way to far.  Not sure how the laws in Japan are for someone who commits a crime like this but he should get the max that is allowed.

Edited by dipsylalapo
Edited to keep on topic

Kyoto Animation created some of the most memorable anime shows in recent years, with leading art quality. I struggle to understand this...why would anyone do this? My condolences to families of those that did not make it. I hope Kyoto Animation will find the strength to rise up again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

I struggle to understand this...why would anyone do this?

Violent psychopathy is what it is; dangerous.

Every culture struggles with how to address it, but as advanced cultures loosen family ties by separation & busy time, and friendships are less close, more of them have no one to raise an alarm.

My condolences to families of those that did not make it. I hope Kyoto Animation will find the strength to rise up again.

Agreed. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, techbeck said:

Anyway, so the guy didn't work for the company and claimed something was stolen.  Wonder if he thought an idea of his was stolen.  Still, he took it way to far.  Not sure how the laws in Japan are for someone who commits a crime like this but he should get the max that is allowed.

Japan has a pretty low crime rate overall, but when they DO have violent crimes, they seem to be fairly extreme ones for some reason.  Maybe it's a side effect of such a controlled society?  Everyone has to conform so tightly to the rules of their society that when they snap, they REALLY snap... :S

Either way, this is really tragic and will, no doubt, have a long term affect on the company.  With so many talented employees lost, they might not even be able to recover.