DD-WRT and Asus RT-AC5300 question.

So I flashed my router with DD-WRT a while back and I sorta want to go back to the stock firmware that the router came with. I downloaded it from Asus website and updated it but when the router was done booting there was no change, it was still the DD-WRT firmware... I was wondering if there was any way to go back to the stock firmware or is it a done kind of thing? Thanks for any help guys and girls!

Are you mental? DD-WRT is so much better than stock firmware.  There's 100 more options to tweak it. There a reason you want to go back?

• Facepalm 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Are you mental? DD-WRT is so much better than stock firmware.  There's 100 more options to tweak it. There a reason you want to go back?

Yeah, I had a feeling I was going to get a lot of flack for this choice... As for reasons, I guess I don't really need those options, I like the easier feel of the stock firmware. I don't know my friend, I guess it's just a personal thing.

Did you validate the go back process?  It might even be that some models are one way.. But some dd-wrt has special firmware you have to flash to then be able to go back to native firmware.  Would have to look into your specific model to know for sure the process of putting native back.

You do understand that just having the options there, doesn't mean you have to do anything with them ;)

For most users the 3rd party is way more stable then native.  Also to be honest, once you setup your wifi - when do you need to even look at it again? 

Its your device, and your preference - but could you give an example of this easier feel?

2 hours ago, SyntheticVirusZ said:

Yeah, I had a feeling I was going to get a lot of flack for this choice... As for reasons, I guess I don't really need those options, I like the easier feel of the stock firmware. I don't know my friend, I guess it's just a personal thing.

Then, umm, don't use them? There's no reason to go back.

Its his device, he can go back to native if he so desires.. We might not get it - I sure don't ;)

Quick google for reverting that model talks about using the some asus restoration utility.. Vs just hitting the now dd-wrt gui and loading the native firmware file.. So its going to be a bit more complicated.. When using that utility your pc prob won't get a dhcp address, etc.  So you prob have to set the machine your trying to restore from with static IP, etc.

36 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Its his device, he can go back to native if he so desires.. We might not get it - I sure don't ;)

Same. He can do what he wants. I'm just the door between him rolling back. He can always open me. ;)

I used a guide I had found on Asus's website. Had to put the router in recovery mode as Riva mentioned then used their recovery software to flash the firmware and it worked! Thanks for the help guys!

nice that you managed to get it back but was there a reason you decided to go back to the stock firmware?

something missing or you didn't understand on DD-WRT? I haven't used true DD-WRT in forever, mostly use Open-WRT but they're rather similar in feature set.

another option if you want a custom firmware would be Merlin since you have an Asus; Merlin adds a bunch of extra useful features and bug fixes while keeping the Asus interface

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

it looks like your model is supported if you'd like to take a look :)

• Like 1

He hasn't answered the why question.. I don't get it.. Like moving to color TV, you can still watch black and white shows on it.. And shoot even if color show you can turn the color off and get it in black and white.. But its like can not stand that the "option" to watch color is even available it seems..

3rd party works just like the other firmware, you set an ssid, you set a psk.. Sure you can get into the weeds if you want with setting all kinds of extra features if you want... But comes down to it you can just use black and white if you want..

I for the life of me can not figure out why someone would want the ability to do less with their device..

7 hours ago, BudMan said:

I for the life of me can not figure out why someone would want the ability to do less with their device..

Could it be that not everyone uses their devices like you? It's pretty simple IMO, the OP wants to use the stock firmware. It really is that simple. Now, whether you or myself believe that is the best choice, is a whole other story. If it works for OPs needs, great. No need to continue harping on the OP for their decision to run stock firmware on their device.

• Facepalm 1

This is meant as a discussion board.. If your going to ask to do something that doesn't make a lot of sense, to get asked why.

I get it he might not use the device like me, or others.. But the point is - once you set the thing for the ssid you want, and the psk... Unless your going to be doing something fancier with it.. Which the native firmware doesn't have any way to do.. There is not reason to go look at it every day.. Its like watching a BW channel on your color TV.. What does it mater if the TV can do color if your just going to use it for BW.. Taking away the ability of it to do color makes no sense..

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, BudMan said:
On 8/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Brandon H said:

nice that you managed to get it back but was there a reason you decided to go back to the stock firmware?

something missing or you didn't understand on DD-WRT? I haven't used true DD-WRT in forever, mostly use Open-WRT but they're rather similar in feature set.

another option if you want a custom firmware would be Merlin since you have an Asus; Merlin adds a bunch of extra useful features and bug fixes while keeping the Asus interface

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

it looks like your model is supported if you'd like to take a look :)

I have used Merlin before and it is preset good! 😀

On 8/19/2019 at 1:25 PM, BudMan said:

He hasn't answered the why question.. I don't get it.. Like moving to color TV, you can still watch black and white shows on it.. And shoot even if color show you can turn the color off and get it in black and white.. But its like can not stand that the "option" to watch color is even available it seems..

3rd party works just like the other firmware, you set an ssid, you set a psk.. Sure you can get into the weeds if you want with setting all kinds of extra features if you want... But comes down to it you can just use black and white if you want..

I just like it better my friend. That's really all I got. Sorry this is upsetting some of you.😯

Not upsetting, just ODD.. You prob like ketchup on your hotdogs as well ;)  And mayonnaise on your fries.. hehehehe

So you can not even articulate what it is you like better or dislike on the other.. Just your taste..

14 hours ago, SyntheticVirusZ said:

I just like it better my friend. That's really all I got. Sorry this is upsetting some of you.😯

no that's quite alright, I was just curious. That's part of why I brought up Merlin, it's an extension of the Asus firmware with some extra bug fixes and features. I'd recommend checking it out for the bug fixes alone :)

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

Not upsetting, just ODD.. You prob like ketchup on your hotdogs as well ;)  And mayonnaise on your fries.. hehehehe

So you can not even articulate what it is you like better or dislike on the other.. Just your taste..

I hate mayonnaise on anything... 

1 hour ago, Brandon H said:

no that's quite alright, I was just curious. That's part of why I brought up Merlin, it's an extension of the Asus firmware with some extra bug fixes and features. I'd recommend checking it out for the bug fixes alone :)

I'll probably check it out again.