After 3 deaths, CDC says to stop using e-cigarettes [450+ cases]

450 cases, 3 deaths, and counting.

One of the suspected ingredients is Vitamin E acetate, but other ingredients and dilutants are likely involved. 

Better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/after-3-deaths-cdc-says-to-stop-using-e-cigarettes

After 3 deaths, CDC says to stop using e-cigarettes

Americans should not smoke e-cigarettes, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Friday, as they investigate how hundreds of people became sick, and at least three people died, after using them.

"While this investigation is ongoing, people should not use e-cigarette products," Dana Meaney-Delman of the CDC said in a call Friday. That broad recommendation is because "there is a diversity of products" related to e-cigarettes, some containing THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, marijuana's primary psychoactive component, and some containing nicotine, she said.

As many as 450 people, including 215 cases formally reported to the CDC, in 33 states have reported possible pulmonary disease after using e-cigarette devices, liquids, refill pods and cartridges. Symptoms of this pulmonary disease include shortness of breath, fatigue, fever and nausea or vomiting. Investigators must eliminate other causes of illness, aside from e-cigarette use, Meaney-Delman said. She is the incident manager who is overseeing efforts to track, understand and respond this pulmonary disease for the CDC.

The medical community is gathering more information to understand why people are getting sick and dying, and "no definitive causes have been established," Meaney-Delman said.

Many chemicals and additives are present in e-cigarettes, according to officials on the call. They do not know what chemicals, or combination of chemicals, could lead to getting sick and dying.
>

This isn't from nicotine carts. 

This is from THC carts. When exacting the THC, you are also getting a lot of Vitamin E which is causing this. The media doesn't understand the difference. 

You can buy fake THC cart packaging all day..  This isn't regulated. People are selling them to outlawed stated claming they came from legal states when they are just some homemade BS. 

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/box-thc-oil-cartridge-package.html

For example the Exotic Carts and Dank Vapes aren't even real companies. You can also buy FAKE real cart packaging. This is a perfect example why the federal government needs to make THC legal in ALL states. This is NO different the moonshine being made though old radiators causing blindness. PROHIBITION IS THIS PROBLEM> 

Also a problem is that the flavorings, dilutants etc. may be OK for ingestion but not for inhalation. Lung tissue is very sensitive to irritants, and can react very badly to rogue vapors.

Extreme example:  the capsaicin in chilie peppers in food can be great, I'm a "fire eater" myself, but inhaled as a pepper spray component not so much. Someone with a pre-existing lung condition, such as asthma, could react very badly.

6 hours ago, wakjak said:

Who knew that buying unregulated carts of nicotine from Joe blow in the back of a van wouldn't be good for you. 

Who knew that inhaling any kind of man-made chemical concoctions wouldn't be good for you...

I mean, seriously people... How dumb are you?

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Who knew that inhaling any kind of man-made chemical concoctions wouldn't be good for you...

I mean, seriously people... How dumb are you?

Dumb enough that some people roll dried leaves containing a neurotoxin (and sometimes Polonium-210) into paper wraps  they put in their mouth, set fire to, and inhale. Repeatedly.

🙄

30 minutes ago, DocM said:

Dumb enough that some people roll dried leaves containing a neurotoxin (and sometimes Polonium-210) into paper wraps  they put in their mouth, set fire to, and inhale. Repeatedly.

🙄

I never said smokers were particularly smart either... :p

3 hours ago, DocM said:

🙄

A clue called and left a message. 

Kindly call it back and then go get it.

Thanks!

• Facepalm 1
  • Haha 2

To avoid confusion as to what this is actually about, here's the link to the source:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

E-cigarettes are devices that deliver an aerosol to the user by heating a liquid that usually contains nicotine, flavorings, and other chemicals. E-cigarettes can also be used to deliver marijuana or other substances.

People thought vaping was safer than smoking. And then they started abusing it by vaping all the time non-stop.

Of course, there were going to be consequences.

18 hours ago, Peresvet said:

To avoid confusion as to what this is actually about, here's the link to the source:

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/severe-lung-disease.html

People thought vaping was safer than smoking. And then they started abusing it by vaping all the time non-stop.

Of course, there were going to be consequences.

That's because they're morons.  It doesn't matter if you're burning a solid or vaporising a liquid, you're still inhaling garbage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's HILARIOUS that the CDC is all up in arms about banning vaping....  Yet with the MILLIONS of deaths attributable to smoking over the last 100+ YEARS.... THEY are still on the market.

This has nothing to do with preventing potential harm, and everything to do with the fact that the US govt has yet to come up with a way to monetize the vaping industry.  That's it.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Because that worked so well with alcohol in the past  and drugs now. 

because smoking is the one thing that directly impacts other people's health around you. So either ban it being smoked in public spaces and in communities or ban it entirely.

I'm tired of having to breathe in the smoke from other people who want to destroy their own lungs.

• Like 2

I never understood the appeal of smoking cigarettes and the like as it's just poison going into your lungs etc with minimal to no benefit. why do people start smoking in the first place? ; because at least I can see the point of alcohol with people being taste or some who like to get drunk but with cigs, it's just nothing but negative as far as I can see.

in fact, ill get a bit sick feeling if I have to breathe that crap in 2nd hand in the air. like a little in the distance won't really do much to me but if I can clearly smell it in the air with a little haze (or thereabouts) and I do that for some minutes etc Ill start getting a bit sick.

p.s. even with alcohol... I never seen the appeal of getting wasted as when i drink it's largely for taste as I don't mind a slight buzz and thereabouts, but after a certain point ill simply back off as I don't like the feeling. because those people who drink so much they can't even remember what happened, they clearly drank WAY to much. I would say about the most I ever drank in a setting would be something in the ball park of roughly six 12oz beer equivalent, maybe a bit more(probably a little more I suspect given it was hard to gauge since it was mixed drinks and I think I had about 5 of those in a cup etc), but that was over several hours of time at wedding etc. but on an average week/weekend I typically don't drink more than about two 12oz beers (sometimes less, sometimes a bit more) and maybe a handful of times a year or so we will have some family get-togethers and ill drink a bit more here, like say 3-6 12oz beers (probably more towards 4-5, at least 3) or equivalent.

6 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I'm tired of having to breathe in the smoke from other people who want to destroy their own lungs.

I am glad they banned smoking in public places like restaurants etc here years ago in my state as I would be the same as you for sure if not. because without them banning it, people will continue to do it with no respect for others not wanting to breathe that poison it into their lungs.

3 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

I am glad they banned smoking in public places like restaurants etc here years ago in my state as I would be the same as you for sure if not. because without them banning it, people will continue to do it with no respect for others not wanting to breathe that poison it into their lungs.

Unfortunately, in my state they've legalized pot. So instead of cigarette smoke my entire living room once a week is hotboxed by our neighbors.

It's disgusting, and what's even worse is they have children in the house (which medically is terrible for them).

27 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Unfortunately, in my state they've legalized pot. So instead of cigarette smoke my entire living room once a week is hotboxed by our neighbors.

It's disgusting, and what's even worse is they have children in the house (which medically is terrible for them).

So call child services? Smoking pot might be legal, but child endangerment sure as hell isn't...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Apartment? Just curious. 

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Apartment? Just curious. 

Condo, it comes in our windows and or chimney (gas fireplace, by law we cannot close it).

8 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

So call child services? Smoking pot might be legal, but child endangerment sure as hell isn't...

Unfortunately that won't work, as there has to be demonstrated medical complications from the smoke inhalation. There are no laws really about smoking around your kids at home that I know of.

10 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Condo, it comes in our windows and or chimney (gas fireplace, by law we cannot close it).

Unfortunately that won't work, as there has to be demonstrated medical complications from the smoke inhalation. There are no laws really about smoking around your kids at home that I know of.

That sucks. It’s also why I hate living so close to people. That said, regarding endangerment...

Pretty easy to give CPS a call to find out. Let them investigate instead of assuming nothing can be done. I wish neighbors would have done the same with me when I was a kid (not drug related though). 

12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

That sucks. It’s also why I hate living so close to people. That said, regarding endangerment...

Pretty easy to give CPS a call to find out. Let them investigate instead of assuming nothing can be done. I wish neighbors would have done the same with me when I was a kid (not drug related though). 

What I'll probably do first is all the HOA if there have been any other complaints by neighbors.

It's NOT E-CIGS. It's bootleg THC carts that contain Vitamin E acetate. E-Juice contains no Vitamin E acetate.

The whole e-cig crap is sensationalism fueled  by big tobacco.

35 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

I wasn't meaning the smoke itself.  Have you never been around a stoned person? They're not exactly what I'd call a responsible care giver whilst blasted. What're they going to do in an emergency? Ask for more snacks?

41 minutes ago, Xilo said:

It's NOT E-CIGS. It's bootleg THC carts that contain Vitamin E acetate. E-Juice contains no Vitamin E acetate.

The whole e-cig crap is sensationalism fueled  by big tobacco.

Big Tobacco is invested in e-cigs, heavily.  JUUL is owned by Altira 35% (Marlboro brands, etc)  -    Source - https://www.schlesingerlawoffices.com/blog/2019/april/teens-targeted-with-e-cigs-by-big-tobacco/     and https://www.investopedia.com/news/which-company-behind-popular-ecigarette-juul/

Other info, a bit dated - https://ecigone.com/featured/big-tobacco-e-cigarettes-2017/

And - http://www.opensecrets.org/news/issues/e-cigarettes

1 hour ago, Raze said:

Exactly. That's why they want all other e-cigs and e-juice to be banned. They did this ###### years ago trying make it so all devices/juice had to be licensed which only they could afford. Also, e-cigs have been around for 10 years ish without these issues. Other countries aren't reporting issues either.

Like I said, it's THC carts which are VERY popular with teens.