Is there any Cloud where I have the option of ignoring specific folders/files like MEGA for uploading on Windows?

Hello.

I have been using MEGA for years.

MEGA has the option of excluding specific folders/files of uploading and it even supports wildcards (for example: *.ini, which will ignore all files with the extension ini.)

and also gives you 50GB for Free account.

I am using MEGA for both my Desktop & Laptop Windows 10 PCs.

Unfortunately, MEGA has stopped working fine for me.

For whatever reason, it has been creating duplicate folders and that fills up my Cloud Space.

My actual files is around 30GB and when the problem started my Cloud Folder is around 60GB.

I contacted support but they haven't replied yet.

Other Cloud Services I tried:

OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive

Only MEGA gives me the option of excluding File/Folders.

The reason I'm using MEGA is because I have configured my programs to use MEGA folder instead of AppData (with Symbolic Links) and with that I can continue my work on my other PC without changing anything but some Applications have temporary files and I do not want to be uploading the Temporary Files, Just the options and that's enough.

EDIT: The Problem it seems it is not in the Desktop I'm using, it's in the Cloud, The Online Folder.

I have tried uninstalling MEGASync, deleting it's settings, changing it's folder  and the problem wasn't fixed.

All of those services allow you to exclude folders from sync..

Nextcloud can do it as well - I can not think of a cloud service that doesn't allow you to exclude stuff from sync.

The other option is just don't put the stuff you don't want to sync in the path of your online cloud service..  You have say c:\mega sync, if you don't want stuff to sync - why would you put it under c:\mega?

Comes down to the simple

user: hey doc it hurts when I do this

doc: then don't do that

Are you sure? because Last Time I checked that option was Selective Sync and it was not letting me Keep the files on my local machine (like OneDrive)

Well no ###### if you ignore the folder from sync, it wouldn't be on your local PC..

Why would you be putting stuff in your sync folder that you don't want sync'd?  The ignore rules are for stuff that is in the cloud from source A, that you don't want on source B..

Just at a loss to why you would store stuff in a "sync" folder that you do not want to sync? 

Don't do that! ;)

There is a difference between backup app that backs up stuff in folder A, expect for xyz.. And a sync app.

• Like 1

It's really simple really.

Let me use the following as an example, don't take it seriously but it will make a valid point why I want to do what I'm trying to do.

I'm using Visual Studio Code, I work as a Web Developer and I use 2 PCs for my work, a Desktop at home with 2 Screens which is much more comfortable and a Laptop and I want both my devices to be almost exactly the same.

Most of the time I'm changing my Visual Studio Code Settings, I uninstall Visual Studio Extensions and install other ones.

Now Visual Studio Code has a ton of files when you are handling extensions, most of them are garbage and you don't need them to be synced  and they are in a very special folder called "Temporary" and is inside the Visual Studio Code Configuration Folder and the Temporary folder is used Temporarily  while extensions run.

Since I'm swapping Computers a lot I want my Visual Studio Code to be exactly like my Laptop's if I am working on my Desktop (and of course Vice Versa).

Cloud Syncing allows me to automatically Sync the Settings I need while ignoring the "Temporary" folder. I can sync my settings without Syncing Temporary folder and my Visual Studio Code Environment will be exactly the same as my other PC.

As you said, what I need is Cloud Sync, not backing up, the ability to automatically Sync Files and Folders with the additional option of Ignoring Certain Folders making this work much more faster.

Like I said in my first post, MEGA.NZ allows me such options, Sync Everything while ignoring the Specific Files/Folders.

I even have my Desktop synced, looking exactly the same with the same icons, folders, wallpapers, etc.

PS) I know that Visual Studio Code, Firefox, Chrome, allows syncing with or without extension.

However I use a lot of Programs such as: WinSCP, PuTTY, FileZilla, Notepad++, EASEUS, Thunderbird and many others as well.

Many programs take very small space and they are very nice for syncing.

I hope I made a point.

Your temp folder does not need to be under your code folder.. Sorry but that makes zero sense... I can understand how your having problem - but that is not how you should be doing it or syncing your code between pcs..

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1