VirtualBox Crawling

Question

It's been a long time since I've had to use a VM and am puzzled as to what I've setup incorrectly and need some guidance getting things setup correct.

I'm currently using VirtualBox with Windows 7 Pro to transfer encrypted files from a old FreeagentGO external drive. Seagate hasn't updated their software for that drive to run correctly on Windows 10, so I'm having to go this route to decrypt the files and move them over to my desktop. 

The transfer is literally CRAWLING. In two days I've only transferred 5GB of files. 

I understand it won't be a fast process but surely I've set something up wrong somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

8 answers to this question

Found the culprit. In the storage settings "Use host I/O Cache" was unchecked. After checking that things are finally transferring and decrypting at a decent speed. 

5 minutes ago, Sean B. said:

It's been a long time since I've had to use a VM and am puzzled as to what I've setup incorrectly and need some guidance getting things setup correct.

I'm currently using VirtualBox with Windows 7 Pro to transfer encrypted files from a old FreeagentGO external drive. Seagate hasn't updated their software for that drive to run correctly on Windows 10, so I'm having to go this route to decrypt the files and move them over to my desktop. 

The transfer is literally CRAWLING. In two days I've only transferred 5GB of files. 

I understand it won't be a fast process but surely I've set something up wrong somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of USB Ports do you have? Make sure you have the right one in the settings of the VM and make sure you have VirtualBox tools installed on the VM. I would start there. 

image.thumb.png.f49ebe05f49c14d60a082cb20ce9dc8f.png 

21 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

What kind of USB Ports do you have? Make sure you have the right one in the settings of the VM and make sure you have VirtualBox tools installed on the VM. I would start there. 

image.thumb.png.f49ebe05f49c14d60a082cb20ce9dc8f.png 

It's a USB 2.0 drive and I have that set correctly as well as have the tools package installed.

Is there a way for me to post my settings for the VM for review to see if I've set something up incorrectly?

Edit: I've also setup a shared folder in the VM and that's where I'm decrypting the files too, would that have anything to do with the slowness?

Edited by Sean B.

You can take screenshots if you'd like. Sharing the folder shouldn't matter. Make sure in device manager all the usb drivers are installed. Are you copying and decrypting at the same time on the drive it's copying too? If so, that has something to do with it. 

3 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

You can take screenshots if you'd like. Sharing the folder shouldn't matter. Make sure in device manager all the usb drivers are installed. Are you copying and decrypting at the same time on the drive it's copying too? If so, that has something to do with it. 

It's decrypting the files and then copying them from the external drive to the shared folder on my HDD.

image.thumb.png.b6b403377f402d7d77633adab657112b.png

1 hour ago, fusi0n said:

image.thumb.png.643ef73729e8f4d970ac4bcd1ad55811.pngimage.thumb.png.be97fedecb4339d84b11c01b13cfede9.png

I originally set up the VM to only run with one core. I changed it to four cores and the data transfer is crawling even worse than before. Would any of these settings affect the speed?

2 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

That all looks good. I think the issue is CPU limitations and the copying / decryption at the same time. 

I'm pretty sure that the Seagate encryption software doesn't support multiple threads and when I enabled 4 cores to the VM it borked it on top of the "Use Host I/O Cache".

I know I won't be using the drive anymore after this given all of the above.