Google Camera 7.2 (Play Store and elsewhere) - Thoughts/Opinions?

As has been circulated, Google Camera 7.2 is available on the Play Store (no longer lashed to the Pixel 4 - and possibly not to Android 10, either).

Have you tested it, what Android device did you test it on, etc.?

I started the thread; therefore, I'll lead off.

I have it on Android 10, on my daily-driver Pixel 3a (sargo).  It required no mods.

Most pleasant surprise/improvement (compared to the same app in stock Android) - NightSight.  This feature improved still more over the same feature in Camera 7.1; especially for low-light indoor pictures.  Coming up is THE season for such - Christmas/Yule in particular.  (Before, I laid low and didn't participate in the picture-taking; however, I don't have an excuse now.)

Biggest quibble - the same one I had with Camera 7.1; motion is on by default.  (Do that many folks NOT use the Camera app for stills that such a default makes sense?  It's the ONLY camera app that does this.)

Upshot - other than the one quibble, it's still the deadliest camera app for Android - if not any OS - that is not ODM-specific

• 2 months later...

UPDATE - a new APK (7.3) is available via the Usual Suspects (original source - Android Police) - it's a straight upgrade from previous versions (possibly except the original Pixel, which got its last upgrade in December).  There are some layout changes - notably, changing from motion to still is easier.  I haven't had a chance to shake it down yet; however, I have upgraded from 7.2.  It does not require stock Android (either 9 or 10); AOSP is supported.

I have the Pixel 4 XL, I love everything about the app. I do agree with you on the default motion. I wouldn't use motion on purpose, ever. It should be something to choose after the photo is taken similar to the background blur is now a choice by slider.

2 hours ago, xrobwx71 said:

I have the Pixel 4 XL, I love everything about the app. I do agree with you on the default motion. I wouldn't use motion on purpose, ever. It should be something to choose after the photo is taken similar to the background blur is now a choice by slider.

That is why I pounded 7.2 and earlier; because of that rather silly default.  Since my Mom has an original Pixel, I'll be checking to see if she can upgrade to this APK.  (It would be nice if they can, because Google Camera is STILL the Camera app against which all others are judged - and it's NOT me saying so! Haven't I been the one with the "#whatcamera" hashtag?

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.