Problems since upgrading to Windows 10 - Please help

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 the other day. I did a full wipe and fresh install but I am having some weird issues.

• My CPU fan is at 100% all the time even with CPU usage around 3%. It used to power down once it loaded windows but it doesn't seem to do so. The BIOS is the same with smart fan enabled and I had no software controlling it before. I have no idea how this could be.
  • When streaming bbc radio or tv live I get really annoying pauses in audio, as if it is buffering for a second or two every 10 seconds. Streaming on BBC iPlayer, youtube, netflix, spotify etc is fine. It's just the live BBC content that seems to be the issue
  • Lastly, the clock isn't keeping up with the time. For example it currently says 16:32 when it is 16:59

If anyone has any idea what might be causing this I'd appreciate it. Literally nothing has changed about my setup other than wiping windows 7 and installing 10.

I agree, make sure all drivers are up to date and check if you have any BIOs updates available.

If you'd like a driver scanner I'd recommend IObit Driver Booster free edition. it minerly nags you to get the pro version inside the app but the free edition works great for detecting and downloading/installing new drivers

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

edit: as for the clock not staying in sync you may want to check or swap out your CMOS battery as that could be getting low causing the discrepancy

On 11/22/2019 at 5:14 PM, Brandon H said:

I agree, make sure all drivers are up to date and check if you have any BIOs updates available.

If you'd like a driver scanner I'd recommend IObit Driver Booster free edition. it minerly nags you to get the pro version inside the app but the free edition works great for detecting and downloading/installing new drivers

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

edit: as for the clock not staying in sync you may want to check or swap out your CMOS battery as that could be getting low causing the discrepancy

Thanks for suggesting that app. Some of my drivers were alot older than I could have guessed! It seems like the time and audio problems are sorted now.

I'm still having issues with the cpu fan though. I have the latest BIOS although the last update was in 2010 so maybe it's just too old. It's a v1 GA-X58A-UD3R. I'm solving it by using speedfan but I'd prefer not to if possible.

yeah if the manufacturer hasn't released a BIOS update since 2010 then it's possible there could be compatibility issues with it on Windows 10. you may be able to download a 3rd party tool to control the fan speed since the auto adjustment isn't working.

Newegg has a list of 3rd party fan control softwares you could try https://www.newegg.com/insider/cpu-fan-control-software-buying-guide/

and here's another good looking one not listed on Newegg's list https://www.argusmonitor.com/en/fan_control.php

Hello,

You might want to consider updating to the 2011-era BIOS that Gigabyte issued for your motherboard, available for download from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios.  Even though it is listed as a beta test build, the fact that it hasn't been updated in eight years means it is likely quite stable.  Likewise, visiting Intel's website to download the latest Windows 10 device drivers available for the motherboard's X58 chipset might help as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 4:33 AM, goretsky said:

Hello,

You might want to consider updating to the 2011-era BIOS that Gigabyte issued for your motherboard, available for download from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios.  Even though it is listed as a beta test build, the fact that it hasn't been updated in eight years means it is likely quite stable.  Likewise, visiting Intel's website to download the latest Windows 10 device drivers available for the motherboard's X58 chipset might help as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks. CPUZ suggests that I have the F11 bios and so does @bios, which is the latest one according to the app when checking the gigabyte servers. Might be out of luck...

Hello,

The latest bios for the motherboard you described is Version F8A, according to the website link. 

You will probably need to manually download and install it, as it could be the Gigabyte-provided update checking app is no longer being updated to work properly with this motherboard after so many years.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I think everyone else pretty much summed things up for you already with updating drivers etc.

but with that said... if you just want a reliable internet machine and the like, Linux Mint would be worth considering if Windows 10 is giving you too many issues that can't be worked out. but it appears your good short of the CPU fan issue which the F8A BETA BIOS is probably what I would try first even though I suspect there is some risk involved because on my older computer from 2006, when running a BIOS newer than a certain version (which the newest one was also a beta), my GPU does not work in slot 1 (it's like it's not even plugged in when it is) but works in the slot 2. but on the older BIOS, it works fine in either Slot 1 or Slot 2 (it's got support for SLI but I never used the SLI function in it which is why I got two slots for GPU). so in order for me to run the newer BIOS I got to keep my GPU in slot 2. it's probably some semi-rare glitch in my case though because it's a Radeon 5670 512MB GPU and when using a older NVIDIA 7900GT 256MB in there, it works fine on all of the BIOS's in slot 1 unlike the Radeon GPU which after a certain BIOS revision it only works in slot 2. chances are you won't have this issue but it's always possible weird glitches could turn up from using a newer BIOS. hell, I ended up wasting $10-15 for a new BIOS chip on that old setup thinking the BIOS flash went bad and when the replacement did the same thing I started looking into other issues and eventually figured out the info above.

Edited by ThaCrip

On 11/28/2019 at 12:57 AM, goretsky said:

Hello,

The latest bios for the motherboard you described is Version F8A, according to the website link. 

You will probably need to manually download and install it, as it could be the Gigabyte-provided update checking app is no longer being updated to work properly with this motherboard after so many years.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I made a mistake. I was looking at the bios page for the x58-ud3r when I have the ex58-ud3r. It's been so long since I've messed around with building computers. I've updated to the latest beta bios and now the fan isn't running at full speed!

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!