High CPU temp in idle mode on Asus-notebook: 80-85+ Celsius

I was wondering... what can be causes for a (very) high CPU-temp in idle mode?

Speccy reports on most occasions 80-85+ Celsius temps (sometimes even 94/95 degrees). And the fans are making quite some noise.

I have a notebook from February 2014 (so basically 6 years old). Usage is moderate to high, I use it everyday (mostly Office-like apps, but also some gaming).

I already have cleaned and compressed air'ed the insides, the CPU and GPU (incl. new paste).

Can I better look out for a new notebook? Or try to fix/repair some components, and which one?

Or ii my Asus-notebook slowly dying on me, or is there something else?

When it's idle, what's the CPU usage? Are you running Windows? There could be a process using CPU causing high temps. When you say you've used compressed air, have you COMPLETELY removed the heatsink and cleaned both sides of heatsink fin matrix, especially the part of the heatsink that's facing the fan? They are often covered with a blanket of dust that simply blowing compressed air into the vents won't clear it.

You also made sure to replace any strips of tape covering the gap between fan shroud and heatsink (if fitted). This tape seals an air gap that can cause air leakage, causing high temps as the air isn't directed through the sink properly, resulting in a razzing fan, increasing temps, and shutdowns. Some laptops have a cheaper strip of tape, some have the fan shroud actually covering the sink. Asus and Acer are known to be the cheaper option of tape.

11 hours ago, Tidosho said:

When it's idle, what's the CPU usage? Are you running Windows? There could be a process using CPU causing high temps. When you say you've used compressed air, have you COMPLETELY removed the heatsink and cleaned both sides of heatsink fin matrix, especially the part of the heatsink that's facing the fan? They are often covered with a blanket of dust that simply blowing compressed air into the vents won't clear it.

You also made sure to replace any strips of tape covering the gap between fan shroud and heatsink (if fitted). This tape seals an air gap that can cause air leakage, causing high temps as the air isn't directed through the sink properly, resulting in a razzing fan, increasing temps, and shutdowns. Some laptops have a cheaper strip of tape, some have the fan shroud actually covering the sink. Asus and Acer are known to be the cheaper option of tape.

I am running Windows 10, 1909

I have not removed the heatsink, just the CPU and CPU and put new thermal paste on it. I thought removing and cleaning them is a little tricky...

TaskManagerCPU.jpg

well your machine isnt idle for a start it still has usage, and i would use something that can show you what each of the core temp is, because that just shows 70C....well what about the other 3 cores?

1 minute ago, DKAngel said:

well your machine isnt idle for a start it still has usage, and i would use something that can show you what each of the core temp is, because that just shows 70C....well what about the other 3 cores?

Is there an app/program for I can use?

So all cores are overheating. As I said above, the fan might be failing, working hard to dispate the heat, but is running hot.

Do you ever run a heating pad or a stand blowing cool air into the bottom of the laptop? That might cool it down. But at the rate you are going, I don't think that will help much.

yeah fans may be failing or full of dust; I'd open it up and clean out any dust if you haven't already (sounds like you have done this though). CPU may also need some new paste. I've seen in the past were cheap or no paste has been applied for laptops; it's not always given the same quality as desktops depending on the OEM so worth checking.

edit: just re-read the OP and see the notebook is from 2014; it may just be reaching the end of its ropes then. Looking out for a replacement machine may not be a bad idea if cleaning and new paste haven't helped.

13 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah fans may be failing or full of dust; I'd open it up and clean out any dust if you haven't already (sounds like you have done this though). CPU may also need some new paste. I've seen in the past were cheap or no paste has been applied for laptops; it's not always given the same quality as desktops depending on the OEM so worth checking.

edit: just re-read the OP and see the notebook is from 2014; it may just be reaching the end of its ropes then. Looking out for a replacement machine may not be a bad idea if cleaning and new paste haven't helped.

he is looking for a new one. Coupl;e threads down from here ;) 

19 hours ago, Tidosho said:

have you COMPLETELY removed the heatsink and cleaned both sides of heatsink fin matrix, especially the part of the heatsink that's facing the fan? They are often covered with a blanket of dust that simply blowing compressed air into the vents won't clear it.

8 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I have not removed the heatsink, just the CPU and CPU and put new thermal paste on it. I thought removing and cleaning them is a little tricky...

If you haven't removed the fan from the heatsink, then I can say for near certainty that the issue is what Tidosho mentioned.

I have a 7-8 years old asus laptop and it too was recently running very hot and sounding like a jet engine, and even shutting itself down while doing something as trivial as watching a youtube video at high resolutions. I took it apart and dismantled the cooler and as Tidosho wrote, there was a thick blanket between the fan and the heatsink, blocking the airflow. I removed it and the overheating issue was gone. I didn't even bother with reapplying the thermal paste.

4 hours ago, eddman said:

If you haven't removed the fan from the heatsink, then I can say for near certainty that the issue is what Tidosho mentioned.

I have a 7-8 years old asus laptop and it too was recently running very hot and sounding like a jet engine, and even shutting itself down while doing something as trivial as watching a youtube video at high resolutions. I took it apart and dismantled the cooler and as Tidosho wrote, there was a thick blanket between the fan and the heatsink, blocking the airflow. I removed it and the overheating issue was gone. I didn't even bother with reapplying the thermal paste.

I have ordered a new fan. Let's see if that helps. Keep you all updated.

There was indeed a lot of dust between the fan and the exit of air. I cleaned it (also the GPU one).

I also replaced the fan with a new one.

Temps are (way) down. Let's see it this will be kept. Hopefully yes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Temps are (way) down. Let's see it this will be kept. Hopefully yes.

Nice, can you post a new core temp update?  😛 

I reinstalled Windows. Temps are now between 55-68 Celsius.

A little 'hotter' than earlier mentioned, but still quite OK I guess for machine 6 years old. Right?

3 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I reinstalled Windows. Temps are now between 55-68 Celsius.

A little 'hotter' than earlier mentioned, but still quite OK I guess for machine 6 years old. Right?

Is that 55-68C on idle, or on load?

Try Prime95. See what it does on load. ;)

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.