Google added icons to search results and now I think it's all spam

SNAG-0001.png

I guess I am used to see the top results with icons that represent a sponsored or ad listing, and now all results have a sort of favicon in front of them and I am looking twice to see if it's a sponsored result Lol.

I noticed yesterday Google had started displaying the sites favicon in search results, in addition to moving the URL above the page title.

Search results now look a total mess in my opinion, I do find it very distracting quickly glancing though the results page to now see a page of random coloured icons:

google-favicon.thumb.jpg.44a48f1d23b219dc4940f8db3def96a8.jpg

Coincidentally I had just installed the stable version of Edge, which defaulted to Bing as the search engine. The results returned by Bing are actually seem pretty good these days, i'm pretty tempted to switch over to Bing and see how that goes.

Every once in awhile they change things around and test out new layouts like this. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure I remember them testing out this exact layout before. No idea if they're actually going to make it permanent this time though... :iiam:

It confused me for a moment and i thought i had gone on to Bing accidentally!

I swear the search results have changed a little too, although i haven't used it much since the change, so likely my imagination.

It's not the favicons that bother me or the murking of ads vs actual results. It's the demotion of the good old URL that I'm angry about. Some extremely bad design decisions which should addressed by Google:

1. Bring back FULL URL, NOT some ridiculous breadcrumbs style. This is the open web, not Windows File Explorer. URLs are around since forever. No need to pervert them. Just present them as they are. Web browsers show URLs in the address bar and people aren't scared of them. We don't see breadcrumbs in browser address bar.
2. Bring back URL in green or prominent color
3. Move URL to 2nd row and blue page title to top row as it was.

All reasonable requests. It’s devious of them to remove the URL as it exists and present it in the perverted breadcrumbs style

Current design is AWFUL and it's not just a question of getting used to change. They are needlessly perverting the URL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

It's not the favicons that bother me or the murking of ads vs actual results. It's the demotion of the good old URL that I'm angry about. Some extremely bad design decisions which should addressed by Google:

1. Bring back FULL URL, NOT some ridiculous breadcrumbs style. This is the open web, not Windows File Explorer. URLs are around since forever. No need to pervert them. Just present them as they are. Web browsers show URLs in the address bar and people aren't scared of them. We don't see breadcrumbs in browser address bar.
2. Bring back URL in green or prominent color
3. Move URL to 2nd row and blue page title to top row as it was.

All reasonable requests. It’s devious of them to remove the URL as it exists and present it in the perverted breadcrumbs style

Current design is AWFUL and it's not just a question of getting used to change. They are needlessly perverting the URL

when i see favicons in search results now i always think i am seeing ads

• Like 1

I actually installed a Chrome plugin that put favicons in search results.  I like the way it looks.

It's easy for me to quickly see, visually, if a result is from Wikipedia or IMDB, etc.  

So for me... I'm already accustomed to seeing favicons.  😛

Yeah it's off for me now, because Google can't help but **** around with it

SNAG-0004.png

Note how one url does get a favicon, but no others do.. so what's up with that? Lol.

• 11 months later...

This topic was automatically locked because it did not receive any replies for a year. If you want to have this topic reopened

• please contact any staff moderator or
  • report the first post of the topic with the reason why it should be reopened.

Thank you.