CPU Fan error

Hey all,

So, everything was just fine with my prebuilt PC until I got that CPU Fan error thing.

At first, I used to bypass it by restarting the PC several times until this screen goes away and login normally.

I made a complete hardware cleaning to remove dust and such as this maybe the reason behind this error, but still the problem is there.

My BIOS is updated and I did a "clear CMOS" by removing the battery for 5 mins. and putting it again but nothing happened, problem is still there.

Using AIDA64 I looked into the V12 of my PSU, it's good, 11.9xx.

Also, two times since yesterday, the PC was shutting down immediately after powering up.

My PC specs is as follows,

CPU : AMD FX-9590
Motherboard : Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Cooling Unit : Cooler Master Hyper 212X
GPU : AMD Radeon RX 560 4GB
Memory : 32GB, 4x Kingston HyperX 8GB

Thanks in advance.

Could be your fan is failing. If it is making a loud sound, that means its bearings are off. I'd look at that being replaced. You are endangering your CPU.

28 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Could be your fan is failing. If it is making a loud sound, that means its bearings are off. I'd look at that being replaced. You are endangering your CPU.

Thanks for your reply.

Nope, the sound is normal.

When I set fan on the "silent" mode where the RPM is low, it's really quite, not super silent, but quiet.

Shutting down on power up suggests that the cpu overheated and shut down to protect cpu. 

As its still working it could be an intermittent failure of the fan or even the header.

You have 2 CPU_OPT fan headers to the right of your CPU_FAN header, I suggest you try one of those to see if you still get the error. 

If you do the next step is to replace the fan/cooler im afraid.

There is also a option to turn off the warnings - but this is NOT recommended

Fan Speed Monitor - set to off

And finally if you have removed the CPU cooler to clean it did you reseat it correctly? Did you also put enough thermal paste on correctly?

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2020 at 1:09 PM, Daniel F. said:

Shutting down on power up suggests that the cpu overheated and shut down to protect cpu. 

As its still working it could be an intermittent failure of the fan or even the header.

You have 2 CPU_OPT fan headers to the right of your CPU_FAN header, I suggest you try one of those to see if you still get the error. 

If you do the next step is to replace the fan/cooler im afraid.

There is also a option to turn off the warnings - but this is NOT recommended

Fan Speed Monitor - set to off

And finally if you have removed the CPU cooler to clean it did you reseat it correctly? Did you also put enough thermal paste on correctly?

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to plug the cable into one of the CPU_OPT headers and still got that error.

Here are some updates which may help in my case

- The PC barely started working today, always shutdown before that error appears or while booting up/entering the BIOS.

- When the PC booted into Windows once today, the fans were super quiet although they were adjusted to "Standard" and not "Silent", the silence was up-normal and here are some reading from the BIOS,

https://ibb.co/PcSZ9GS

- I've noticed that when I adjust the CPU and Chassis fans to "Turbo" the temperature increases till the PC freezes.

- Was converting some videos for the family, the PC freezes when it reach 65C - 70C although it's set in the BIOS to protect from overheat at 90C- 100C.

- The PC is running smoothly now by putting a large fan in front of the open chassis and setting the fans speed to "Silent".

Your fan is dead, I'd order a replacement ASAP and cease use until you install the new cooler.

3 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Your fan is dead, I'd order a replacement ASAP and cease use until you install the new cooler.

Thanks for your reply.

What made you sure about the fan death ?! Why not the PSU ?

I was thinking it's either the PSU or the cpu fan cooler.

Another question please, if you were me, would you get a water cooler or a fan-based one, take into consideration please that my build is old ?

Thanks again :)

I'd normally suggest an AIO watercooler, but, that's depending on IF your case has room for the rad.  I'd just stick with an air cooler.

The reason I believe it's the cooler that has failed is the simple fact that you used a normal desk fan with the side of your case off and it seemed to run stable...  Right there tells us something is overheating, and the fact that you tried the other cpu fan header and still get the same warning (it is a warning, not an error).

15 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

I'd normally suggest an AIO watercooler, but, that's depending on IF your case has room for the rad.  I'd just stick with an air cooler.

The reason I believe it's the cooler that has failed is the simple fact that you used a normal desk fan with the side of your case off and it seemed to run stable...  Right there tells us something is overheating, and the fact that you tried the other cpu fan header and still get the same warning (it is a warning, not an error).

Yeah and fitting a aio can be quite involved - you may need to change the backplate on the cpu socket for example.

The older phenom's do tend to run hot but a 120 aio is enough to cool it and you should be able to find a place for a single 120 fan slot. Just remember to check socket compatibility as the socket is EOL. 

Alternatively a good cpu cooler will work too 

Thanks for all of your replies.

Here is a small update but I think it will put the last nail in my issue's coffin,

I've stopped using the desk table fan and set the fan speed/mode into "Silent", the PC restarted and on the 2nd windows login, I've got an warning that the CPU temp. is 65C so I raised the fan speed to "Standard"

No load were done during that temperature rise, just web-browsing.

Also, mainly on the restarts, I don't see that CPU Fan error and sometimes also on the first boot-up.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, problem solved.

The problem was the cooler's fan, it was not rotating freely when I spin it compared to the fans of the case for example.

So I've replaced that failed fan with one of the two case fan's and it works well.

I faced an small issue with it today as it was rotating at nearly 5xx rpm while on "Silent" mode and got the same error, so I simply lowered the minimum speed limit to 500.

Also, my back panel fan was having that CPU Fan error, this was due to putting that fan on control a.k.a. user control, so I disabled the control and made it automatic up to the system from the BIOS.

Thanks all of you for helping me out, it's greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day :)

• Like 2