is android 8 (oreo) or android 9 (pie) outdated?

is android 8 (oreo) or android 9 (pie) outdated?

i am hoping to purchase a phone but it does not officially as of yet have an update for android 10

do i have any reason to worry?

are there any apps that do not support either of these two versions?

please

It’s not the latest, so in terms of that, yes.  If you find an app that doesn’t run on them due to age, junk the app because they developer is trash. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

It’s not the latest, so in terms of that, yes.  If you find an app that doesn’t run on them due to age, junk the app because they developer is trash. 

Agreed there, adrynalyne; so far, the ONLY application that has a relatively high floor (Microsoft Launcher Preview) is at Android 7 (Nougat) - which STILL means it can run on MEmu, Nox, or BlueStacks (all of which have an Android 7 option).

On 1/25/2020 at 6:25 PM, adrynalyne said:

they are not really outdated then?

and and...it would be developers' fault if not supported?

46 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

they are not really outdated then?

and and...it would be developers' fault if not supported?

What part of, “in terms of that”, was I unclear about? Is it the latest? No. Is it outdated in terms of the latest? Yes. 

As for the developer comment,

what? That’s literally rewording what I said. 

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

What part of, “in terms of that”, was I unclear about? Is it the latest? No. Is it outdated in terms of the latest? Yes. 

As for the developer comment,

what? That’s literally rewording what I said. 

giphy.gif

i'm sorry... will buy phone without worries. thank you for help.

If you're asking about it is secure, depends on what you're using it for, I guess. Myself, I'd call it to insecure to do my banking and stuff like that on it. Also as for myself, that's what I have up to date computers for anyway.

2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

If you're asking about it is secure, depends on what you're using it for, I guess. Myself, I'd call it to insecure to do my banking and stuff like that on it. Also as for myself, that's what I have up to date computers for anyway.

these versions still seem to be supported tho?

also wouldnt the updated apps be secure to use (think firefox)?

10 hours ago, waysidesc said:

these versions still seem to be supported tho?

also wouldnt the updated apps be secure to use (think firefox)?

Depends on your phone carrier. Are they still pushing out the updates to what ever model you'e getting?

13 hours ago, Andrew Johnson said:

No, it's still getting updated.

you mean the android versions?

2 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Depends on your phone carrier. Are they still pushing out the updates to what ever model you'e getting?

i believe Sony is (aside from android 10).

Doesn't matter if Sony is, if your carrier isn't. That's part of what sucks about Android. Most phones don't get over 2 years support from the carriers. That's 2 years on the phone's age, not Androids age.

Not really. You'll be missing a few newer features, but apps and other stuff should offer the same experience on both. I still have 9 on my OnePlus 6 and it's still going along just perfectly.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:10 AM, cork1958 said:

Doesn't matter if Sony is, if your carrier isn't. That's part of what sucks about Android. Most phones don't get over 2 years support from the carriers. That's 2 years on the phone's age, not Androids age.

i apologize. i misunderstood your question.

i was not aware of such an arbitrary limitation!

what if the phone is unlocked?

On 1/31/2020 at 5:35 AM, Noir Angel said:

Not really. You'll be missing a few newer features, but apps and other stuff should offer the same experience on both. I still have 9 on my OnePlus 6 and it's still going along just perfectly.

newer...features....? is there anything significant missing? i read of dark mode in android 10, but that is not really anything.

do you like 9? better for you than 10 could be (that is---is there anything you dislike about 10 that would make you not want to upgrade)?

sorry for such questions. just want a feel for what to expect.

21 hours ago, cork1958 said:

For that matter 6 is still fine and apps get updated. Doesn't mean it's secure and not out dated.

android 8.1 just got an update literally yesterday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Oreo

Latest release8.1.0_r73[2] / February 3, 2020; 1 day ago

i think it's fine. whether or not your hardware manufacturer or isp is pushing these updates is another question... but the OS is still being updated

On 2/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, waysidesc said:

newer...features....? is there anything significant missing? i read of dark mode in android 10, but that is not really anything.

do you like 9? better for you than 10 could be (that is---is there anything you dislike about 10 that would make you not want to upgrade)?

sorry for such questions. just want a feel for what to expect.

Sorry for the delay in answering. My phone just got upgraded to Android 10 so I can actually answer this now. It does have some nice new features, but nothing that alter the usability of the phone a great deal. You can now apply themes to the system menu and customise the pull down icon tray (wifi toggles ETC), and there are a wider array of screen calibration options. Some nice quality of life features but nothing earth shattering.

5 hours ago, Noir Angel said:

Sorry for the delay in answering. My phone just got upgraded to Android 10 so I can actually answer this now. It does have some nice new features, but nothing that alter the usability of the phone a great deal. You can now apply themes to the system menu and customise the pull down icon tray (wifi toggles ETC), and there are a wider array of screen calibration options. Some nice quality of life features but nothing earth shattering.

Depends on what you consider Earth-shattering.

I went from 8 to 10 when I changed phones (from Galaxy S7 to Pixel 3a); the biggest change for me was VoLTE and VoWifi.  (Android 10 supports both; Android 8 had issues.)  Surprisingly, AOSP 10 can support it better than stock Android 10; however, it MUST be built in. I actually DID find an AOSP 10 ROM that does the job - Havoc 3.1 unofficial for Pixel 3a and 3a XL.  VoWiFi and VoLTE are not just supported, but they are supported better than stock Android 10 - and I actually NEED VoWifi support, because my oncologist's local office has issues with LTE in that office; therefore, VoWifi support is a must.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:33 AM, cork1958 said:

For that matter 6 is still fine and apps get updated. Doesn't mean it's secure and not out dated.

what if phone is unlocked? two year thing still an issue?

8 hours ago, Noir Angel said:

thank you for answer and apology.

very kind.