When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

Possible Surface Neo processor benchmark leaks

When Microsoft announced the Surface Neo - the dual-screen Windows 10X device that is coming this holiday season - it said that the PC will use Intel's new Lakefield chips. In fact, the new family of processors, which was announced in 2018, is expected to arrive in a wide family of dual-screen and foldable devices, also including Lenovo's ThinkPad X1 Fold.

One Lakefield chip has now appeared on UserBenchmark (via Tom's Hardware), showing some insight into the processor; interestingly, it's from an unannounced Samsung device. Interestingly, it's called the Core i5-L16G7, which breaks from Intel's traditional naming convention. Typically, the first digit (now the first two digits since we're in the 10th generation) is the generation. This one only has an 'L', presumably standing for Lakefield.

Also interesting is the 'G7' suffix, which implies that it comes with Iris Plus Graphics. With Ice Lake, the 'G' number is for graphics power, and 'G7' is at the top of the lineup.

The CPU has five cores with five threads, which means that there's no hyperthreading if the benchmark is indeed accurate, as many times, they're not. One of the five cores is Sunny Cove while the other four are Tremont, so it's actually using an architecture that's similar to ARM's big.LITTLE, where there's one powerful core and other more efficient cores. The latter is used to preserve battery life on trivial tasks.

The Intel Core i5-L16G7 has a base frequency of 1.4GHz and a turbo frequency of 1.75GHz. While it's possible that Microsoft could use this SKU in the Surface Neo and Lenovo could use it in the ThinkPad X1 Fold, it's also possible that Intel has several Core i5 SKUs under its belt, as it does with Ice Lake.

Report a problem with article
Next Article

Google's Nest thermostats can now help you discover problems with your heating

Previous Article

TechBargains: 32" Dell Monitor only $150, Netgear Arlo Pro 2 4-Camera Kit just $400 & more