Good?/Scrub? Draytek Vigor 130 modem & D-Link DIR-2660 EXO AC2600 router

Just looking for opinions of users of the above as to how they feel about it. As per my last thread I'm still having issues with Plusnet and cant 'get it up' past 43meg, to the golden 77meg I should be able to receive.

Right now I'm using the Plusnet Hub One which is giving me slightly better speeds than my old BT SmartHub, although is timing out on anything I try and connect on 5ghz. This is intermittent, whilst the BT device gives me buttery smooth connections, for some reason I just cant get it to hit speeds over 39.5meg. 

As such I've decided to go forward with a bit more of a separate setup with the D-Link router and Vigor modem. Essentially this is just to try a more pro setup without actually buying a rack server and rolling my own. As it stands both of these are overkill, but I want to give myself the best possible opportunity for now and a few years in the future if I move house and providers. Ill feed back as to how this goes over the weekend after a bit of testing.

I'm sure others here will have used these items, how do they rate? Good reviews per device on Amazon and other websites/videos I've seen, so they should be alright for a mid-tear basic home/office setup. Please feed back without crushing my soul as to what I should have gone for! :)

Thanks

//edit 1 - I've received and setup the router, seems really good so far and a lot more configurable than my old PN provided device. The PN router won't run in modem mode, so I've used an old BT Openreach modem until the Vigor arrives tomorrow. Speeds not affect, and to be honest I'm not expecting them to be. I am going to have a play with the SNR commands on Draytek's site to see if I can boost my connection from this end, but will have to wait and see. Excitement!

//edit 2 - Okay so nobody cares, but the Vigor is pretty awesome. I can artificially boost my connection speed by about 20mbps with SNR er, reduction. The D-Link is amazing with it's security features and it hasnt failed to connect at all. Very happy, even though it's alot of monies, Im geeking out about it :)

Well after 3 weeks of trial and error via Plusnet and 3 visits by Openreach engineers, we're no further forward. I've thankfully renegotiated my Fibre Plus deal to be cheaper as I cant hit the minimum guaranteed speed on my line and left it at that. Although, cheekily, I have changed the SNR on the Vigor and I'm now getting a stable (so far) 50+ meg connection for my previous 33meg pricing :D 

Both the router and the modem are working great, much more flexible than the old Plusnet Hub One, fingers crossed that if something miraculous happens with my cabinet outside I might get near that fabled 80/20 speed.

• forster locked this topic