Fresh installing windows 10 on windows 8.1 laptop? can it activate?

I got a my sister laptop which is a HP windows 8 preinstalled. Upgraded to windows 8.1 and the OS is currently corrupted.

I would like to upgrade it to windows 10. So, can I just fresh install windows 10 on it and will it activate using the build in key from the BIOS? It will be a time wast to reinstall windows 8.1 and then upgrading it to windows 10.

Thanks,

It won't work if you have OEM license like most of laptops that comes with Windows. I had the problem upgrading from Windows Home to Pro and I had to activate using a upgrade key then activate it. 

Just run slmgr /dli in CMD just to make sure. 

1 minute ago, DentedAphid7 said:

It won't work if you have OEM license like most of laptops that comes with Windows. I had the problem upgrading from Windows Home to Pro and I had to activate using a upgrade key then activate it. 

Just run slmgr /dli in CMD just to make sure. 

yea...but you're talking about going from two different SKUs?  Home to Pro ... ?

Am I missing something?

56 minutes ago, DentedAphid7 said:

Yeah. And he did not specify which version of Windows he is running. So I'm just saying. 

Typically if a windows 8 pro key is found by windows it will install windows 10 pro. That's how it worked with my Prodesk HP computer I got off of ebay, that had a windows 8 pro sticker on it. I just installed windows and BAM ..activated Windows 10 pro.

It should work but as you say the OS is corrupt, you may as well just try it anyway.

If it doesn't work then reinstall Windows 8.1 and then Upgrade to Windows 10, this should create a digital key which can be used for any future reinstalls.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, JakeBlaz said:

Well if you upgrade to windows 10 from a corrupt OS Windows 10 will be corrupt. 

Not necessarily.  It can correct/fix the issue as a basically, all the files are upgraded/replaced.

6 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Not necessarily.  It can correct/fix the issue as a basically, all the files are upgraded/replaced.

If it’s in the registry, yeah, it will be corrupt as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, you will be able to install Windows 10 using the ISO file. But you will not be able to activate it. That's the problem. Because it's an upgrade, and not a full version.

1.    Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.
2.    Update Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Update 1.
3.    Check for updates and install all available updates from Windows Update.
4.    If you have access to a Mac computer or a GNU/Linux installation (Linux Live DVD or USB will work too), use it to visit Download Windows 10 page. If you only have access to this Windows 8 computer, visit the Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program page instead.
5.    Select to download Windows 10 Single Language, [your language goes here], and x64 version (and/or x32 version).
6.    Download the x64 version or the x32 version of Media Creation Tool. Have a look at this page for some more info.
7.    Run the Media Creation Tool (x64 on 64bit and x32 on 32bit Windows).
8.    Select to do an upgrade and follow the instructions. Then wait for the upgrade to complete. You will not be able to use the computer when the upgrade process starts.
9.    Done! You have upgraded to Windows 10 and you can start using it. The following instructions are optional.
10.    Backup your files!
11.    Visit Codeplex and download the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool. This is the official Microsoft tool for creating a bootable DVD or USB flash drive.
12.    Visit the Download Center and download the .NET Framework 2.0. This is necessary on Windows 8.x and Windows 10 for the Microsoft DVD/USB tool to work.
13.    Install .NET Framework 2.0.
14.    Install the DVD/USB tool.
15.    Start the DVD/USB tool and load the ISO file you downloaded earlier.
16.    Choose to create a DVD or a USB. You will need a blank DVD5 or a USB flash drive of 4 GB or greater.
17.    Reboot the computer.
18.    Press F12 or whatever key you use (check your manual) to get a boot menu, and select to boot from the DVD or USB (whichever you created).
19.    In the Windows 10 setup program, choose to format the disk or the partition that you had Windows installed on.
20.    Install to the same disk or partition. Skip the key if it asks for it. 
21.    Log in for the first time, and connect to the Internet. Windows will be activated automatically. It may take some time, and a few reboots. Else, you can go to the System page in Control Panel and initiate the activation there by clicking on the link "activate now".