What CPU socket/mobo combo for long term upgradability

I've been a Mac guy for many years but looking to move back to PCs again.  I do some casual gaming + photography and low level video editing.

I'd like to build a system that is:

1.) Going to last a long time, with the ability to upgrade when desired

2.) Quiet at non-gaming loads.  If you've never had an iMac, you won't appreciate how silent they are, even with high end specs, under full load.  It's quite impressive.

3.) Reliable.

I'm open to Intel or AMD.  I know the LGA 1151 is old at this point; is it still the one to go with?  I know very little about AMD but willing to learn.  

My assumption is that once I figure out the CPU/mobo, I can move on to picking a GPU.  Everything else should be pretty easy.

My budget is about $1400-1600, excluding monitor. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($63.75 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($673.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.04 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($14.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM 54.32 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($13.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1587.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 02:31 EDT-0400

• Like 2

^ Yeah, I do not know how long AM4 will last, but AMD is a good choice these days. :) 

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Never heard of that... I can see its use, but never came across this... That a good one?

I mean it has three buttons: low, medium, and high.

I assume that it does what it's advertised to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

I mean it has three buttons: low, medium, and high.

I assume that it does what it's advertised to do.

Well, yeah... :yes:

22 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($289.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($63.75 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: *ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *OLOy 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($673.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($67.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.04 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM 54.32 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($13.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1587.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 02:31 EDT-0400

Yes, I've come across builds on PC Part Picker.  But that doesn't tell me if this is a set up that will last a long time, in a way that I can upgrade as needed or replace failed components.  Maybe that's just not something I should be concerned with? 

Also, why AMD over Intel?  Is it simply a better performance value?

36 minutes ago, crazzy88ss said:

Yes, I've come across builds on PC Part Picker.  But that doesn't tell me if this is a set up that will last a long time, in a way that I can upgrade as needed or replace failed components.  Maybe that's just not something I should be concerned with? 

TBH, I wouldn't worry about upgrading it TOO much. I mean, yeah, you can change CPU, SSD, RAM, etc. BUT in 5 years you will be on a new socket. AM4 for example, I do not know how long it would last.

Well, right now, AMD are holding the raigns. More cores for a cheaper price than Intel's counterparts. See any news or YT vids about it? Everywhere is saying that AMD is really stepping up to the plate. Watch LLT, UFD, or Jayz2Cents.

22 hours ago, crazzy88ss said:

Well, that's what warranty is for. Generally speaking, the PC will be obsolete before it stops working.

Yes. AMD also has the world's fastest x86 processor, but that's besides the point.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:21 PM, Mindovermaster said:

TBH, I wouldn't worry about upgrading it TOO much. I mean, yeah, you can change CPU, SSD, RAM, etc. BUT in 5 years you will be on a new socket. AM4 for example, I do not know how long it would last.

Well, right now, AMD are holding the raigns. More cores for a cheaper price than Intel's counterparts. See any news or YT vids about it? Everywhere is saying that AMD is really stepping up to the plate. Watch LLT, UFD, or Jayz2Cents.

Ok thanks for the tips. 

Speaking of experiencia of using a 6-8 year old system right now, this is what I should had kept an eye out.

back in April 2012 bought :
i5 2500K

ATI 6500HD (or something like that)
12 GB
MSI motherboard without future proof. (did have PCI express of course, enough for my needs at that time)

Nice big case

128SSD + online storage

So in April 2018 "upgraded"
i7 2700

Nvidia 1080ti

+ 4 GB
(same motherboard)
+ 512 SSD (well actually nvme ) but needed a PCIx adaptor

For what I need, it was more than capable.

I played, at a casual level Blizzard Games (overwatch, starcraft 2). Before 2010 I was hardcore raiding World of Warcraft, but now focused on gym and my business, so gaming isn't  my priority. 

So what I learned, if going Intel...just go with the latest i7....when I upgraded the performance was noticeable...would had gone with the the more beefy system.
Might as well go 32GB

SSSD/NVMe...go with the fastest one. I don't really need that much storage as I work with the cloud, but 1TB would be more than capable if you work "online"

Might not be obvious, but do consider a nice big case. One you can move freely and your cables aren't crunched up. Also space if you want to adds things.

Something I DID consider and don't regret, a modular PSU.

My Next System in 1-2 years i think will be AMD Ryzen Based,  with Radeon Video card i think,   tend to pair up AMD/with Radeon video cards at least in all the old AMD's i had in the past,     Plus can't afford Nvidia 2070, 2080 and such lol.      Right now running an Intel I7 7700,  16gb of Ram DDR4 2400,  Geforce 1050 2gb,  250gb Samsung Serial ATA SSD, 1tb Western Digital hard drive.

For Now may upgrade my video card to 1660 Super to hold me over for a year or two or 3. 

My dream specs for future system are

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

16gb or 32gb of ram

Radeon 5700XT

NVME Samsung 1tb

keep my Samsung 250gb SSD for other games i guess

and 1 drive for storage, maybe 2tb

Modular EVGA power supply 650 watt i think

Problem is affording it all, and when right time to upgrade majorly,  and such

Edited by bikeman25

On 3/16/2020 at 3:44 PM, Riva said:

If you are going for AMD, make sure your nvme and gpu are PCIe4.0

Is PCIe 4.0 new?

What does a modular PSU get you?  

2 hours ago, crazzy88ss said:

What does a modular PSU get you?  

it allows you only to use the power connections you need. Not have to hide all your molex and extra SATA power cords that you don't use. Therefore, easier cable management.

12 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

it allows you only to use the power connections you need. Not have to hide all your molex and extra SATA power cords that you don't use. Therefore, easier cable management.

Gotcha, thanks!

Socket compatability 

Intel sockets = 2 years (Comet Lake desktop chips will launch in Q2 2020 with the  Z490 mobo)

AMD socket = +-4 years (Also being speculated is that Zen 3 will be the last of the Socket AM4 processors )

53 minutes ago, Daniel F. said:

Socket compatability 

Intel sockets = 2 years (Comet Lake desktop chips will launch in Q2 2020 with the  Z490 mobo)

AMD socket = +-4 years (Also being speculated is that Zen 3 will be the last of the Socket AM4 processors )

Well, AMD holds onto their sockets longer than Intel. This is well known. Doesn't mean any is worse than the other.

For the longest time, AMD could not compete with Intel on the high end, and this allowed Intel to be... lazy.

I had an Intel i7-2600k and could not justify the upgrade costs for 5-10% performance improvement every new generation.

On top of that, Intel would change the socket so that would also be a new motherboard about every two generations.

That system ended up with an Nvidia 970 TI, 16gb memory and served me well for about 5-6 years.

AMD Ryzen came out and blindsided Intel, and now we have healthy competition.

This also means CPU/Motherboard are advancing quickly significantly faster then it has been for a very long time

I ended upgrading to AMD 2700X, with an Nvidia 2700 Super.

However with the speed things are being released, I doubt this system, while significantly more powerful then my old system, I don't think it will last 5-6 years like my old one did.

The other consideration, is even if cheap significantly more powerful components are available in 2-3 years, unless I'm running games / software that reach the cpu / gpu bottle necked, I probably won't upgrade. If anything, using a 1080p / 240hz monitor, that will have to be thing to upgrade 1st.

As stated earlier, AMD is doing it's best to keep the same socket as long as possible. 

The same socket works that launched with the Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, and maybe the ? 4xxx ? line.

However if not 4xxx, the 5xxx may require a new socket which is still pretty impressive compared to intel.

(Note you do still have to pay attention to which chipset and minimum bios versions).

51 minutes ago, Eternal Tempest said:

As stated earlier, AMD is doing it's best to keep the same socket as long as possible. 

The same socket works that launched with the Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, and maybe the ? 4xxx ? line.

However if not 4xxx, the 5xxx may require a new socket which is still pretty impressive compared to intel.

(Note you do still have to pay attention to which chipset and minimum bios versions).

Well, from the 2xxx to 3xxx, you usually need a BIOS update. I think the 4xxx are still going to use AM4, but the next 5xxx generation is going to be on a new soicket.

IIRC, AM4 was here before the Ryzen 1xxx series. I think, could be wrong..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, from the 2xxx to 3xxx, you usually need a BIOS update. I think the 4xxx are still going to use AM4, but the next 5xxx generation is going to be on a new soicket.

IIRC, AM4 was here before the Ryzen 1xxx series. I think, could be wrong..

Ah, your right, it's AM4+ that ryzen used.

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, AMD holds onto their sockets longer than Intel. This is well known. Doesn't mean any is worse than the other.

I wasn't commenting on which was better only trying to give informative information to the OPs question about longevity of an upgrade path. Intel has bee very clear with it's tick-tock 2 year update cycle and And has tried to keep the same socket for as many generations as possible as a U.S.P. 

Also the issue with ryzen1 having limited comparability was that they had run out of space in the BIOS as they were supporting so many different CPUs :) but if you look for a "b450/570 max" boards you will find extended CPU support via a bigger BIOS memory chip 

But 4 generations  of ryzen CPUs from one socket isn't bad. You will not get that from Intel 

On 3/19/2020 at 4:37 PM, Riva said:

Yes PCIe 4 is new and only on amd for now.

Also pick AMD to stick it to intel for overcharging all these years on top of the fact that AMD is better now

I've decided on AMD, thanks.  Probably a 2700x.

Now to figure out GPU.... which I have no idea of knowing what to get.  I'm definitely not more than a casual gamer.  I just want something that'll last a while.

1 hour ago, crazzy88ss said:

I've decided on AMD, thanks.  Probably a 2700x.

Now to figure out GPU.... which I have no idea of knowing what to get.  I'm definitely not more than a casual gamer.  I just want something that'll last a while.

2060 super or 5700XT are the best mid-range cards atm both good for 1080p & 1440p 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The advice here is to take the risen 7 3700x, but I would save and buy the rizen 5 3600, which loses in multi-core tests by about 30%. In addition to the price, the rest of these processors are the same. Both support PCIe 4.0, so there will be no problems with the new video cards.