Motherboard won’t read graphics card

I had build my first computer and it worked fine for about a day then upon restarting it wouldn’t boot randomly. My motherboard says it isn’t reading VGA in the error less. I thought the problem was my graphics card so I got a replacement just to fine the same issue. My graphics card turns on with leds and fans for about 10 seconds then turns off (rest of the computer is on)

My specs are

Amd Ryzen 5 3600

MSU Gtx 1660 ti

Corsair vengeance 2 x 8 3000mhz dd4 ram

gigabyte b450 auros elite

650 watt power supply from evga

nzxt 510 case

Have you put the 8 pin PCI-E gpu power lead into the graphics card? Should still work tough! Also try re-seating the RAM [make sure you have them in the right slots] or just 1 stick for testing.

Any beeps when you try to turn on?

Also, you are attaching the cable to the back of the graphics card not the motherboard.

Edited by Riggers

@Evan7112 start with reseating ONE ram stick (remove the other one) and then booting up. If that works, remove that stick and test the other one too on its own.

If one stick is bad, it can cause the whole system to not start.

What BIOS version do you have on it? Some CPUs, especially the 3*** are not fully supported unless you do a BIOS update. Some motherboards say it supports newer CPUs, but it totally depends on the BIOS version that was installed

Also, try resetting everything. CPU included. Could be anything.

do you have the right 8 pin   in the video card and the motherboard use's 8 pin too  could be power supply issue

the cpu is supported in bios F40 or higher

f42f bios fix's issue  below and could be part of it

Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA

Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility

Correction of PCIe Gen4 being disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to this AGESA

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ninja502 said:

do you have the right 8 pin   in the video card and the motherboard use's 8 pin too  could be power supply issue

the cpu is supported in bios F40 or higher

f42f bios fix's issue  below and could be part of it

Update AGESA 1.0.0.3 ABBA

Improve Destiny 2 gaming compatibility

Correction of PCIe Gen4 being disabled when using a 3rd Gen Ryzen (Matisse) CPU due to this AGESA

^ Yeah, that, too...

Sadly your CPU doesn't have an APU, so you can't use onboard video. You have a different GFX Card you can try?

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

^ Yeah, that, too...

Sadly your CPU doesn't have an APU, so you can't use onboard video. You have a different GFX Card you can try?

I have every cable in correctly, my computer was on for about a day before having this issue. Would I have been able to turn on for a bit even without the bios update ?

21 minutes ago, Evan7112 said:

I have every cable in correctly, my computer was on for about a day before having this issue. Would I have been able to turn on for a bit even without the bios update ?

I said reseat everything, weasn't asking if it was connected. The oddest things happen when you do this...

Your system can be on even though you don't have RAM. It will just continually beep at you...

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I said reseat everything, weasn't asking if it was connected. The oddest things happen when you do this...

Your system can be on even though you don't have RAM. It will just continually beep at you...

I’ve reseated everything still no boot, My computer wouldn’t boot without ram I don’t think I have the beeps instead my motherboard has led and signify if something is wrong and it’s on the graphics card

16 minutes ago, warwagon said:

This is why it never hurts to have a ****ty passively cooled old graphics card in your collection.

Haha, truth... I keep an old PcI-e one with me, incase someone's graphic card dies.

Well ... this would be the second card he has tried.  Resetting CMOS didn't help.  Light stays lit by "VGA" on the board indicating an issue.  

So...unless he is incredibly unlucky and got two bad cards:

Maybe the PCIe slot on the board is bad?  Try the other PCIe slot.  Sure, it is only x4 speed ... but that will help rule out video card vs. motherboard.  If you get video move it back to the PCIe x16 ... if you don't get video RMA the motherboard.

If no video on either PCIe slots ... guess it might be time to RMA that video card ... third time is a charm.

The obligatory ... could be a PSU issue.  ;) 

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

Well ... this would be the second card he has tried. 

Oh ya, I forgot about that.

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

The obligatory ... could be a PSU issue.  ;) 

Could be anything, really... :ermm:

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Could be anything, really... :ermm:

Could be. But the motherboard clears the CPU and Memory and halts on VGA (indicated by OP noticing the diagnostic LED staying lit by VGA)

So...either motherboard, video card or (doubtful but possible) PSU issue.

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Could be. But the motherboard clears the CPU and Memory and halts on VGA (indicated by OP noticing the diagnostic LED staying lit by VGA)

True, true. If he had another GFX card, this would clear that up. (maybe?)

13 hours ago, Jim K said:

I tried the second slot of the motherboard still no boot, should I just refund this motherboard and order a new one? But the problem there is what if it turns out to be the psu but that’s doubtful because everything else is being powered normally

14 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I don't think you have a speaker on your board..

31xSqpE5p4L._SY300_QL70_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Yes my motherboard has no speaker it uses the leds to indicate a problem instead

46 minutes ago, Evan7112 said:

I tried the second slot of the motherboard still no boot, should I just refund this motherboard and order a new one? But the problem there is what if it turns out to be the psu but that’s doubtful because everything else is being powered normally

Yes my motherboard has no speaker it uses the leds to indicate a problem instead

Dunno.  Do you know if you got a refurb video card as a replacement?  I would still point to the video card as the culprit.  If that doesn't work then the motherboard.

I guess....  :) 

17 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Dunno.  Do you know if you got a refurb video card as a replacement?  I would still point to the video card as the culprit.  If that doesn't work then the motherboard.

I guess....  :) 

No I ordered a brand new card and the most premium model of card I doubt that’s the problem since my first graphics card was working originally and stopped working 24 hours later randomly upon restart which makes me believe it’s power supply or motherboard this new card has the leds working but the fans stop after a few seconds upon boot up (still no display)

10 minutes ago, Evan7112 said:

No I ordered a brand new card and the most premium model of card I doubt that’s the problem since my first graphics card was working originally and stopped working 24 hours later randomly upon restart which makes me believe it’s power supply or motherboard this new card has the leds working but the fans stop after a few seconds upon boot up (still no display)

COULD be your board got shocked. Happens.

IMO, I would take that board out of the case and set it on a piece of cardboard, and try to do everything again.