Unifi Dream machine questions

So once places get stock again,  I am Ordering a Unifi Dream machine.  

I have very little networking experience but want to learn.  However,  I am trying to play around now with the controller and try to build out a network so that when I get one,  I have an understanding of what and how I want to do things.  I just need a bit of help to figure out how to get there, if that makes sense?  

VLAN 1:  Main devices,  desktop,  laptops,  ipads.   full access to the network and internet. 

VLAN 2:  Xbox one,  playstation and switch.   I want this limited,  whereas,  it can connect to the internet but can't get to the rest of the network.  

VLAN 3:  wifi nest cams and a NAS,  connect to the internet but can't get to the rest of the network.  With the exception of anything on VLAN 1 can get to the NAS.

Is this possible?

• 1 month later...

I have a Unifi switch, USG and AP, and they are great. I've tested with setting up separate wifi connections that have internal access and basic 'guest' access, and it works great. I need to have a look at vlans for wired connections, but Im still toying with my main server choice before I do that with wired. As far as I can tell from youtube and the homelab reddit all of what you are asking to do should be possible without much bother, you can set up plenty of local vlans with a myriad of permission/firewall rules that will be able to contact/not contact whatever you want.

I wish I was a guru, but not yet :D 

On 3/28/2020 at 12:55 PM, Subliminal87 said:

So once places get stock again,  I am Ordering a Unifi Dream machine.  

I have very little networking experience but want to learn.  However,  I am trying to play around now with the controller and try to build out a network so that when I get one,  I have an understanding of what and how I want to do things.  I just need a bit of help to figure out how to get there, if that makes sense?  

VLAN 1:  Main devices,  desktop,  laptops,  ipads.   full access to the network and internet. 

VLAN 2:  Xbox one,  playstation and switch.   I want this limited,  whereas,  it can connect to the internet but can't get to the rest of the network.  

VLAN 3:  wifi nest cams and a NAS,  connect to the internet but can't get to the rest of the network.  With the exception of anything on VLAN 1 can get to the NAS.

Is this possible?

We have a similar setup with the hardware, however  I have a couple different UNIFI APs,  USG and POE Switch.

Great devices. I created a hidden SSID to hardware that doesn't like Emoji.

We use EMOJI for our main SSID.. If you haven't tried, try it. 🙂

Wiindows key and the semi-colon will bring up Microsoft's emoji keyboard in Windows 10, I think Unifi support Ansi 1.2.

Our SSID: image.thumb.png.24fa51e792fb4e37470798e310401656.pngimage.thumb.png.24fa51e792fb4e37470798e310401656.png

I have had my UDM Base (Not Pro) for a while now... and it is a fantastic piece of kit.

Run my whole house on Unifi... and just enjoy the simplicity, and the devices look good too!!! I need to get a 24 port POE switch now, to replace 3 8 port POE's ...

1 minute ago, Sulphy said:

I have had my UDM Base (Not Pro) for a while now... and it is a fantastic piece of kit.

Run my whole house on Unifi... and just enjoy the simplicity, and the devices look good too!!! I need to get a 24 port POE switch now, to replace 3 8 port POE's ...

Its pretty addictive, this is the only system Ive used where I have zero drop outs and disconnections. I only use it for a small household, but its rock solid and that in itself is a beautiful thing!