Android or iPhone?

Android or iPhone?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which phone OS do you use/prefer?

I am curious about what you prefer for your phone OS. If you could answer the question, and then give me a little bit of a reason that you like it, I would appreciate it!

Android....more vendor options so you can pick a device form/function/price that best suits you.  Can root and apply your own custom ROM to add features or improve function.  Basically have more freedom over your devices with Android.  Androids also tend to have more features missing from iPhones from the start.  Apple tends to release new features slowly each model to entice people to upgrade every year.

Android simply because I'm a cheapskate and Iphones are priced WAY to high. Cell phone is something I probably wouldn't consider buying some one else's used crap, so that rules out a cheaper, used Iphone. Don't use phone for much other than texting and calling anyway, so don't really even care about features.

Until a few weeks ago I would have said Android. I finally moved over to an iPhone and have been quite happy with it so far.

I got tired of various issues on Android such as constant slowdown on devices; slow or rare updates from OEMs; and general instability of the OS and apps. There was a time that Android was a better OS than iOS but that time has passed. Android seems to be moving backwards in terms of stability with each major release. iOS has caught up in regards to features and now has some features that Android doesn't even have natively. And what few features Android still has that iOS doesn't Apple seems to be slowing deciding to add in. Like I hear true widgets may be added in iOS 14.

Lack of long term support from OEMs is the other reason I decided to switch; unless your phone is a flagship you're lucky to get 2 years of support, even most flagships maybe get 3 and a half years of consistent support. iOS on average gets 5 years of support for each device AND things don't tend to slow down that badly near the end of that support while still getting newer iOS versions.

4 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Android simply because I'm a cheapskate and Iphones are priced WAY to high. Cell phone is something I probably wouldn't consider buying some one else's used crap, so that rules out a cheaper, used Iphone. Don't use phone for much other than texting and calling anyway, so don't really even care about features.

got my iPhone XR from Amazon's referb program for under $300 after using a few gift cards from work lol

Amazon has a quality referb program; my phone looks brand new, the only telling factor that it's used is the battery capacity and even that's still at 98% of original capacity.

edit: even came with a plexiglass screen protector already applied which surprised me 🙂

I'm currently switching between droid 10 on a Oneplus 6T and an iphone XR.

Android has a better hotspot at the moment, you can use apps from outside Google Play if you must, and Android Auto is much better.

iPhone has a much more consistent experience and I'd prefer it if the hotspot functionality was fixed.

Android as I can choose a device that best suits my requirements and budget. The device I purchased would however have to have official LineageOS support, as I take for granted all the little tweaks / features that has over stock Android.

17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

got my iPhone XR from Amazon's referb program for under $300 after using a few gift cards from work lol

Amazon has a quality referb program; my phone looks brand new, the only telling factor that it's used is the battery capacity and even that's still at 98% of original capacity.

edit: even came with a plexiglass screen protector already applied which surprised me 🙂

$300 is a good price for an Iphone, and I have even looked over some of those, but there's no way in the world I'm spending that much for a phone! Like I said, I'm a cheapskate and half!!

My choice is iPhone.  I appreciate day 1 updates and many years of support.  Apps tend to be more polished and the performance of the hardware is always great.

I really dislike the bloat of most Android phones and have no desire to root the device to get faster updates and less bloat.  I'm a minimalist, so for me, less is more.

33 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

$300 is a good price for an Iphone, and I have even looked over some of those, but there's no way in the world I'm spending that much for a phone! Like I said, I'm a cheapskate and half!!

Oh trust me I'm the same way. I'm on a no-contract carrier (Metro by T-Mobile currently) so I don't get subsidization options anyway so I'd be paying that for any decent Android phone too 🙂

Back when iPhones were vastly more expensive than Androids it was a no brainer; but while iPhone prices have stayed relatively the same over the years, Android prices just keep going up ... especially with the flagships

edit: the only thing I really miss from Android is the customizable home screen (had a W10M home screen on my previous phone) and alphabetical app drawer but that's a minor inconvenience at most

While, I'm more of an android person at heart and really can't stand how iOS restricts the way it does some stuff in the OS. I do respect iOS in terms of security updates, OS updates and long term support.

Android. More device options, no walled garden and I can write my own software, build it and deploy it for my own use without having to get a developer license and a Mac to do the compile on.

I've been Android since I've own a smart phone (Blackberry excluded).  Though, I'm thinking about moving to an iPhone for my next phone (whenever my S7 dies).  Not so much that I want to be in the Apple ecosystem ... but because they support their phones for a long time (the 6 -- almost 7 year old iPhone 5S just received a security update).  My LG G2, released the same time as the iPhone 5S, has long since been retired because it was no longer supported.  I'm not sure if my S7 is going to receive any more updates.

tl;dr - Yea, I'll probably jump to an iPhone on my next purchase.  With the cost of phones...I want something that will be supported (security updates) for more than 2-3 years.

37 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Oh trust me I'm the same way. I'm on a no-contract carrier (Metro by T-Mobile currently) so I don't get subsidization options anyway so I'd be paying that for any decent Android phone too 🙂

Back when iPhones were vastly more expensive than Androids it was a no brainer; but while iPhone prices have stayed relatively the same over the years, Android prices just keep going up ... especially with the flagships

edit: the only thing I really miss from Android is the customizable home screen (had a W10M home screen on my previous phone) and alphabetical app drawer but that's a minor inconvenience at most

Yep, no contract here either and wouldn't use any phone/provider if I had to do a contract. Wouldn't consider a flagship phone in a million years either. Haven't ever spent more than $79 for any of my Android phones as that's about as high I'm even willing to go for just a phone!!

Now, granted, I would like to have the updates that Iphones provide and that is the main thing I hate about Android, but like I said again, don't use my phone for much more than texting and calling, although that's almost a rarity that anybody calls now a days, and an occasional quick search if I need to to look up something.

Nice to have a conversation without anyone going all ballistic about something as that's about a rarity anymore, but this will be my last reply to this conversation. We know where we stand on this! 🙂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Yep, no contract here either and wouldn't use any phone/provider if I had to do a contract. Wouldn't consider a flagship phone in a million years either. Haven't ever spent more than $79 for any of my Android phones as that's about as high I'm even willing to go for just a phone!!

Now, granted, I would like to have the updates that Iphones provide and that is the main thing I hate about Android, but like I said again, don't use my phone for much more than texting and calling, although that's almost a rarity that anybody calls now a days, and an occasional quick search if I need to to look up something.

Nice to have a conversation without anyone going all ballistic about something as that's about a rarity anymore, but this will be my last reply to this conversation. We know where we stand on this! 🙂

yeah if that's all you're using a phone for is its basic uses then no reason to spend hundreds on a device (Y)

Just now, Brandon H said:

yeah if that's all you're using a phone for is its basic uses then no reason to spend hundreds on a device (Y)

Yes by that logic, you would not even need a smartphone, a simple flip phone would work! :D Do they still make flip phones?

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes by that logic, you would not even need a smartphone, a simple flip phone would work! :D Do they still make flip phones?

some do.

They aren't flip phones but Nokia still makes basic phones for those that don't need smartphone capability 🙂

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes, they do actually. They are actually on an uprise right now..

https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones/alcatel-go-flip-v/

• Like 1

I've thought of getting a modern basic cell phone to swap over to for traveling/camping purposes when needed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

They are actually on an uprise right now

You are absolutely correct.  And not just the novelty value, they serve real uses as more robust backup devices.

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

some do.

They aren't flip phones but Nokia still makes basic phones for those that don't need smartphone capability 🙂

How do they compare price wise to the smartphone counterpart?

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Yes, they do actually. They are actually on an uprise right now..

@Mindovermaster you say they are on an up rise right now, how long has this been going on (is it recent > year ago or < then a year?

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@Mindovermaster you say they are on an up rise right now, how long has this been going on (is it recent > year ago or < then a year?

IIRC, it started last summer, I think. just popped up like daisies. Could be wrong.. Not everyone needs a smart phone to simply talk/text.