Two-factor login on main site

Hey. Love the site.

I have two-factor authentication enabled on my account here.

When I login using the link on the forum I can login absolutely fine. However, if I try and login from the main website where you get the popup modal then clicking 'sign in' just redirects me back to the homepage, I don't get asked for my two-factor PIN and there are no error messages.

image.thumb.png.10134c382d09de46de58a70763a668f9.png

Quite annoying that I always forget that I need to go through the forum instead. It's been an issue for the past year at least.

Hope this isn't too difficult to fix and can be resolved.

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

This site has two factor?

You new WarWagon? :rofl:

They had it for years.

31 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You new WarWagon? :rofl:

They had it for years.

How do you enable it? I just use the username and password. Do you have to use one of the other login methods?

4 minutes ago, warwagon said:

How do you enable it? I just use the username and password. Do you have to use one of the other login methods?

Account Settings>Security and Privacy. You can enable Google Authenticator.

55 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

ooooo .. .I checked there but I missed the "re-enter"  passsword, I thought I could just change my password there. Once I submitted my password I saw the google authenticator.

THAT would explain all the bad jokes, someone has been hacking my account for years.

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Was going to say that, but however, I was out. So, what he said... 😛

8 hours ago, warwagon said:

ooooo .. .I checked there but I missed the "re-enter"  passsword, I thought I could just change my password there. Once I submitted my password I saw the google authenticator.

THAT would explain all the bad jokes, someone has been hacking my account for years.

Just had to comment on that. If memory serves me well, on the Warwagon joke scale, that would be -10 out of 10. Actually did make me laugh out loud. Cheers.

So this is what happens when I turn two factor authentication on a website using an authenticator app. This is what I did to turn on two factor authentication on Neowin.

1) Save a copy of the QR code to two disconnected flash drives, so I can re add it to a device down the road.

2) Scan it into every device I have. Primary phone, spare phones and tablets.

3) Add the QR code to my document stored on my two disconnected flash drives containing, site QR codes and backup codes. Then I print a copy so I have a hard copy of the QR code too. 

• 3 months later...

Yeah I have two-factor on as well and main fails to log me in, it should at the very least redirect me to the forum for the authentication key, but it just fails altogether,