New system build, system will not turn on/POST

So despite my trying to convince her otherwise, my wife insisted on building her computer. The basic specs are: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard, RTX 2060 GPU, 16 GB of G-Skill Trident (2 8 GB). GPU I installed the CPU and mounted the fan, and boxed it up and shipped it to her. Now with my via Duo, she has successfully attached everything, and has the power supply installed and the cords in their appropriate locations. However the system will not even turn on, there is power to the motherboard evident by lighting turning on. She is 2000+ miles away from me and is stubborn as a mule and will not listen to everything I tell her to look at. At this point I have decided that it either the motherboard needs a BIOS update, despite that the website claims that it is 3000 series compatible, or something else hardware related is the issue, but as to what, I can not tell. She is very resistant to moving things around, and is not tech savvy at all. What could the issue be here? Feel free to offer any suggestions!

Is there a computer shop near her? Not BB, but someone else that can help her?

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Is there a computer shop near her? Not BB, but someone else that can help her?

According to the yellowpages there is, I have emailed them and am waiting to see if they respond.

How experienced is she with building?  

So ... the ROG logo is lit up meaning there is power to the motherboard.  However ... pressing the power button does absolutely nothing ... not even a hiccup of life?

meh ... does she have the power button wired to the correct header on the board?

6 minutes ago, Jim K said:

How experienced is she with building?  

So ... the ROG logo is lit up meaning there is power to the motherboard.  However ... pressing the power button does absolutely nothing ... not even a hiccup of life?

meh ... does she have the power button wired to the correct header on the board?

Very minimal. Yes, and yes. The only other thing I am going to try and have her check is the 8 PIN motherboard power is plugged into the right spot on the PSU (modular)

9 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

There is a big difference between 1.) turn on, but does not POST and 2.) does not turn on

Which one is it?

Right now, I am going to say does not turn on.

• Here is what she has to try in this order: 1. Take out one stick of ram if she has two 2. check the power pin and make sure its not reversed (the label on the power pin usually is facing out so you can see the label and the pin will actually have a little arrow on the back telling you what side is positive). 3. if you have multiple hard drives unplug them and only have the dvd and the C so the board doesn't default to the wrong drive in the bios during boot until you get to the desktop successfully once. If you have a video card make sure its powered by the cord of the power supply and if its a 4-pin power for the GPU make sure you have that because 3-pins will not be enough and the system will not boot.

3 hours ago, SystmSix said:
  • Here is what she has to try in this order: 1. Take out one stick of ram if she has two 2. check the power pin and make sure its not reversed (the label on the power pin usually is facing out so you can see the label and the pin will actually have a little arrow on the back telling you what side is positive). 3. if you have multiple hard drives unplug them and only have the dvd and the C so the board doesn't default to the wrong drive in the bios during boot until you get to the desktop successfully once. If you have a video card make sure its powered by the cord of the power supply and if its a 4-pin power for the GPU make sure you have that because 3-pins will not be enough and the system will not boot.

Interesting ideas, I will suggest these. There is no HDD, only 2 M.2's and no optical drive. When she contacts me again, I will have her trace the power connections, just to make sure.

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Right now, I am going to say does not turn on.

maybe the power button is not correctly connected to the motherboard

3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

maybe the power button is not correctly connected to the motherboard

That right now is the working theory. She is checking all of that right now.

10 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

That right now is the working theory. She is checking all of that right now.

Photos would help a lot

Easier said then done. But she is going to take the system to the local shop on Monday (can't get a ride until then) and is willing to pay them $45 to have them diagnose it. But from what I can see (via duo) everything appears to be in the right, the only thing that we are not 100% sure about is the case wiring since it does not have a block to wire into, and it sits directly under the GPU so it is a PITA to get to.

If she is in Jacksonville like you are private message me I am only an hour away and I can get it working for her.

Hello,

Double-check all connections for loose cables.  Also, RAM and CPU in case they shifted during transit.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 5/14/2020 at 2:01 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

Easier said then done. But she is going to take the system to the local shop on Monday (can't get a ride until then) and is willing to pay them $45 to have them diagnose it. But from what I can see (via duo) everything appears to be in the right, the only thing that we are not 100% sure about is the case wiring since it does not have a block to wire into, and it sits directly under the GPU so it is a PITA to get to.

How did it go? Maybe we can setup a Skype meeting or something and try to save you the $45 if she hasnt gone yet. I have nothing but time on my hands as do many others I am sure.

9 hours ago, Circaflex said:

How did it go? Maybe we can setup a Skype meeting or something and try to save you the $45 if she hasnt gone yet. I have nothing but time on my hands as do many others I am sure.

She has decided to wait until the beginning of June to take the system in. I would love to have someone take a look at it, I will suggest that we try something like Skype (since she has a laptop with a webcam) that might give me a better picture of what is going on inside the new build.

• 3 weeks later...

So $150 later and the issue turned out to be the BIOS/UEFI version that came with the motherboard did not support the CPU, but a newer version did, so everything is working as it should now!

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So $150 later and the issue turned out to be the BIOS/UEFI version that came with the motherboard did not support the CPU, but a newer version did, so everything is working as it should now!

Yeah, Ryzen 3### CPU's, BIOS  need to be updated. Happens. ;)

eh.  So, you're saying that the system wouldn't power on because the BIOS was old and didn't support the CPU?  I find that really hard to believe.  I do not doubt the BIOS was old and didn't support the CPU ... but it shouldn't have prevented the system from powering on (as stated in the OP).  The system should have turned on but failed to post lighting up either the DRAM or CPU Q-Led (whichever this board checks first..since the memory controller is on CPU it could have halted there).  If indeed the "old" BIOS prevented the system from even powering on...that is some BS oversight from ASUS.

Anyway ... 👍for getting it fixed.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

eh.  So, you're saying that the system wouldn't power on because the BIOS was old and didn't support the CPU?  I find that really hard to believe.  I do not doubt the BIOS was old and didn't support the CPU ... but it shouldn't have prevented the system from powering on (as stated in the OP).  The system should have turned on but failed to post lighting up either the DRAM or CPU Q-Led (whichever this board checks first..since the memory controller is on CPU it could have halted there).  If indeed the "old" BIOS prevented the system from even powering on...that is some BS oversight from ASUS.

Anyway ... 👍for getting it fixed.

Oh, I forgot, the case switches were wired to the motherboard incorrectly, but that is more a fault of Asus then my wife, they did not print the names on the board, so it was very hard to tell where to plug the cords in, and apparently the ram needed to be in 2,4 not 1,3 so both of those could have caused the no power issue.

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Oh, I forgot, the case switches were wired to the motherboard incorrectly, but that is more a fault of Asus then my wife, they did not print the names on the board, so it was very hard to tell where to plug the cords in, and apparently the ram needed to be in 2,4 not 1,3 so both of those could have caused the no power issue.

ok, that makes more sense.  The power button being wired incorrectly was my initial response. 

On 5/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, Jim K said:

The memory didn't matter for power ... it just wouldn't have posted if something was wrong.

Just sucks you spent $150.  If you had said it powered up but didn't post ... and the Q-Led was lit that would have steered me to the CPU supported list where it shows the BIOS as a later version.  AMD offers a short term processor loan kit for situations like this so you can POST and flash the BIOS (not sure if ASUS offers something similar).

Oooo well.  :) 

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

ok, that makes more sense.  The power button being wired incorrectly was my initial response. 

The memory didn't matter for power ... it just wouldn't have posted if something was wrong.

Just sucks you spent $150.  If you had said it powered up but didn't post ... and the Q-Led was lit that would have steered me to the CPU supported list where it shows the BIOS as a later version.  AMD offers a short term processor loan kit for situations like this so you can POST and flash the BIOS (not sure if ASUS offers something similar).

Oooo well.  :) 

I agree, but the Q-led is almost hidden on the motherboard by the GPU, and unlike mine, it is simply a LED, not a display.