ESXi alternative for VPS hosting

Hi everyone,

Can someone please share some ideas/recommendations for a VPS hosting setup? Basically I need something to manage client's vm's, but also something that offers a client area, so that they can do some basic stuff with their servers too, like restart, configure, maybe start a rdp session, etc. That's why ESXi is not a viable solution. I looked around a bit and found Virtualizor, it seems to do the stuff that I need and also has some nice integrations, like WHMCS. But I don't know if this is the best (or most used one by vps resellers) and I don't know what virtualization solution to use (kvm, openvz, etc.) for it. 

Thank you! :)

I'll let BudMan catch this, but...

Is this for personal use or business use? If for business, why not ask your IT staff?

Sounds like a school question...

18 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I'll let BudMan catch this, but...

Is this for personal use or business use? If for business, why not ask your IT staff?

Sounds like a school question...

It's for a business startup, I have a former work colleague that wants to do something like this but doesn't have the technical knowledge and he asked me for a little help. Since I never had any experience with this, I thought about asking you guys for some recommendations. :)

KVM hypervisor.  

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

it is open source/FOSS

esx is free so is hyper-v.  The local host hypervisors are free to use, it is when you want to start central managing or wanting more advanced features where you have to pay for it.  There is no local limitation that I am aware of.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TDT said:

but doesn't have the technical knowledge and he asked me for a little help.

Seems you don't have any experience either.. ;)

This startup is bound to fail.. Would be my guess..   Why would you not just fire up VPS via a reseller account to get your feet wet in the market..

example... https://www.vps.net/resellers/

Where is the hardware going to be hosted?  What is the bandwdith into the hardware.  What is the cost of hosting the hardware... What you going to do when some idiot hosts something on vps that gets your netblock DDOSed - and all your clients go down, and your whole pipe it full, etc..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BudMan said:

Seems you don't have any experience either.. ;)

This startup is bound to fail.. Would be my guess..   Why would you not just fire up VPS via a reseller account to get your feet wet in the market..

example... https://www.vps.net/resellers/

Where is the hardware going to be hosted?  What is the bandwdith into the hardware.  What is the cost of hosting the hardware... What you going to do when some idiot hosts something on vps that gets your netblock DDOSed - and all your clients go down, and your whole pipe it full, etc..

I already said that I don't have experience with this. If we're talking about esxi or hyper-v, that's another matter, but what do vps sellers use for the admin and client interface, that I do not know. And your guess is wrong, he has everything he needs in terms of hardware, backup, etc., but he wants to offer an automatic solution for the client, as much as he can - the client selects its configuration, pays, the service is activated automatically and he gets a tennant page where he can do whatever he wants with his vps. 

6 hours ago, sc302 said:

KVM hypervisor.  

https://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

it is open source/FOSS

esx is free so is hyper-v.  The local host hypervisors are free to use, it is when you want to start central managing or wanting more advanced features where you have to pay for it.  There is no local limitation that I am aware of.  

I know, but as I said, what I wanted is a solution ON TOP of the hypervisor that offers an administration interface AND a client interface. Seems like Virtualizor on kvm is the best way to go so far.

Just going back to your first post - ESXi can be used to accomplish this sort of task but is rarely used to do so (most likely due to the licensing costs).

If you wanted to host a VPS / cloud platform for customers, the following products could do that for you:

As per the posts above though, I'd recommend not trying to re-invent the wheel. Partner with an established provider and re-sell your services under a white label agreement. Building your own virtualisation environment and billing system is almost certainly going to be more problematic and labour intensive than using a provider that already does this full time.