Can Windows 10 use 1.0 or 1.1 'WDDM' drivers ?

An older computer does not have a graphics card driver for Windows 10 ... would I be able to use a graphics card driver for Windows Vista or Windows 7 ... ? The card supports at least WDDM 1.0 ... having been manufactured circa 2004 of June.

I do not have the machine in question to test, but I am wanting to know ...

Thank you always, again.

4 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

An older computer does not have a graphics card driver for Windows 10 ... would I be able to use a graphics card driver for Windows Vista or Windows 7 ... ? The card supports at least WDDM 1.0 ... having been manufactured circa 2004 of June.

I do not have the machine in question to test, but I am wanting to know ...

Thank you always, again.

Windows doesn't pick it up automatically?  Per the minimum requirements: "Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver."

If it doesn't pick it up automatically...might be helpful to know the make/model of the GPU trying to be installed.  With respect to installing 7 drivers on 10 ... maybe?

Should work. I have a Win 10 1909 running an old radeon 5850 with legacy drivers and all is fine. Windows does default to it's own driver as well.

16 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Windows doesn't pick it up automatically?  Per the minimum requirements: "Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver."

If it doesn't pick it up automatically...might be helpful to know the make/model of the GPU trying to be installed.  With respect to installing 7 drivers on 10 ... maybe?

Apparently it does not.

It is ATI M24 ( Mobility Radeon X600 ).

15 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Should work. I have a Win 10 1909 running an old radeon 5850 with legacy drivers and all is fine. Windows does default to it's own driver as well.

Not the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ?

oh.  Yea, I'm sure you saw it but AMD specifically lists the "ATI Radeon X### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon X### Series Graphics" as not being compatible with 10.  The 5850 has driver compatibility.  

You might be able to run one of those Windows 7 Catalysts packages (or one of the drivers from the Windows Update Catalog) in compatibility mode and pray.  Though, I believe you may be SOL and stuck with the basic display adapter.

Yeah, I've run if both ways, with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and with a legacy Catalyst package. The PC isnt used for anything more than MS Office apps. Only reason for the 5850 over built in graphics  was for the display port.

3 hours ago, Jim K said:

oh.  Yea, I'm sure you saw it but AMD specifically lists the "ATI Radeon X### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon X### Series Graphics" as not being compatible with 10.  The 5850 has driver compatibility.  

You might be able to run one of those Windows 7 Catalysts packages (or one of the drivers from the Windows Update Catalog) in compatibility mode and pray.  Though, I believe you may be SOL and stuck with the basic display adapter.

I noticed that ... Thank you for your idea.

I have no idea why WDDM 1.0 would not be sufficient ... why X600 ( or even the X2300 ) would not be compatible with Windows 10 ...

1 hour ago, Zag L. said:

Yeah, I've run if both ways, with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter and with a legacy Catalyst package. The PC isnt used for anything more than MS Office apps. Only reason for the 5850 over built in graphics  was for the display port.

How was performance with the former if I may ask ? With the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ?

You can get a "current" graphics card for under $30 here in US.  Under $15 if you look around.  Geforce 210, for example.  

14 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

You can get a "current" graphics card for under $30 here in US.  Under $15 if you look around.  Geforce 210, for example.  

I'm thinking this might be a notebook (or maybe an AIO)..."Mobility Radeon X600" ?

42 minutes ago, waysidesc said:

How was performance with the former if I may ask ? With the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter ?

Performance was just fine. 2D drawing at 1440p doesn't take much power.

12 hours ago, Jim K said:

I'm thinking this might be a notebook (or maybe an AIO)..."Mobility Radeon X600" ?

Sorry 🙂  Missed the Mobility part.  I had an X600 in a desktop, but that was a LONG time ago.

I think i will test this and let you know how it goes ... Thank you all for all of your assistance.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jim K said:

well I did run Win10 on a very old Intel board that has an onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series graphics chipset (used a Win7 driver) and it worked (hardware ID began with PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A61).

that ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics hardware barely had a WDDM driver (most likely a wddm 1.0 version) available