Is MetroPCS (metro by T-Mobile) Really as Reliable as T-Mobile?

Anyone here has any solid experience with MetroPCs that can answer this question? I noticed that a single T-Mobile line is $77.00 a month for unlimited everything while MetroPCS is only $50.00, so what’s the catch? Is there a difference is performance, service, reception?

Anyone knows?

Thanks

26 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

Anyone here has any solid experience with MetroPCs that can answer this question? I noticed that a single T-Mobile line is $77.00 a month for unlimited everything while MetroPCS is only $50.00, so what’s the catch? Is there a difference is performance, service, reception?

Anyone knows?

Thanks

As a MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) Metro has a lower priority on the T-Mobile network. So, if you're in a highly congested area, T-Mobile customers will get better speeds. Also, I don't believe they have the same roaming abilities as T-Mobile customers do.  Not sure about their customer service.

If you're just going for a TMo MVNO, Mint Mobile is pretty darn good.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joe User said:

As a MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator) Metro has a lower priority on the T-Mobile network. So, if you're in a highly congested area, T-Mobile customers will get better speeds. Also, I don't believe they have the same roaming abilities as T-Mobile customers do.  Not sure about their customer service.

Well I am on T-Mobile right now, on the Magenta plan, which is $70.00 a month for a single line and I have an IPhone 11 that’s all paid up so I don’t have to pay monthly fees for it. I only pay the $70.00 a month but I was looking into Metro because I see they offer the same unlimited plan I have at T-Mobile, but for $50.00 a month, but I figured there has to be a catch somewhere. It cannot possibly be the same, reliable service as T-Mobile. There has to be something different and that’s why I was wondering and asking those of you who have or have had MetroPCS to give me some input before I decide to jump over to Metro.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:06 AM, spacelordmaster said:

Well I am on T-Mobile right now, on the Magenta plan, which is $70.00 a month for a single line and I have an IPhone 11 that’s all paid up so I don’t have to pay monthly fees for it. I only pay the $70.00 a month but I was looking into Metro because I see they offer the same unlimited plan I have at T-Mobile, but for $50.00 a month, but I figured there has to be a catch somewhere. It cannot possibly be the same, reliable service as T-Mobile. There has to be something different and that’s why I was wondering and asking those of you who have or have had MetroPCS to give me some input before I decide to jump over to Metro.

I think the magenta plan has taxes included, I don't think the MetroPCS plan does. So, different roaming, network priority, taxes, customer service and no T-Mobile Tuesdays.  You'll save a few $, but not $20/month.

On 5/31/2020 at 2:06 AM, spacelordmaster said:

It's uses the same towers... you're just given lower priority. Unless you are in heavily congested areas all the time, it'll be just as good. You may lose roaming or international features, check the plan details, but all in all, a MVNO on a parent companies tower is the same signal the parent company provides to it's users, at least until you're at a sports game or streaming spotify during rush hour and notice slowness due to data prioritization for post-paid T-Mobile customers.

I'm on Metro by T-Mobile and have not had any issue with it. As stated above if you're in a highly congested area you might notice some slowdown due to lower priority but that's about it.

It supports all of T-Mobile's features including NameID and Visual Voicemail and even supports VoLTE, WiFi Calling, and Roaming.

I'm paying $84 a month for 2 lines and the NameID subscription. I have unlimited data and 5gb of hotspot use on my phone.

If you just have the one line it would be $54 a month for the same setup I have as each additional line is $30 with Metro. Would be good savings over your $70 a month.

Totally worth it IMO

9 minutes ago, Joe User said:

I think the magenta plan has taxes included, I don't think the MetroPCS plan does. So, different roaming, network priority, taxes, customer service and no T-Mobile Tuesdays.  You'll save a few $, but not $20/month.

nope; taxes and all that is included with the pricing still. no hidden fees.

11 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

nope; taxes and all that is included with the pricing still. no hidden fees.

In that case, heck yea.

If I wasn't grandfathered in to a really good plan, I would think about switching.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:22 AM, Joe User said:

So is Tracfone (also a T-Mobile MVNO) - I've been there for two years.  None of them are a *pure* (T-Mobile-only) MVNO; all of them also have links to another provider (Verizon in Tracfone's case).

2 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

So is Tracfone (also a T-Mobile MVNO) - I've been there for two years.  None of them are a *pure* (T-Mobile-only) MVNO; all of them also have links to another provider (Verizon in Tracfone's case).

Metro is the closest since it's owned by T-Mobile themselves; it even offers a variant of T-Mobiles apps (NameID, and Visual Voicemail)

41 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Mint has Ryan Reynolds as an owner sending voicemail and a green fox as a spokesperson spokesfox. If that doesn't convince people to switch, what will?

(my 1,400th post - yay)

Edited by Joe User