Change order "Shut down" and "Restart" on Windows 10 May 2020 Update

Just a question... is there a way the change the order of 'Shut down' and 'Restart' on Windows 10.

How many times did I restart in stead of shutting down?!? Numerous and kinda annoying.

So I was wondering if I can can change the order (from bottom) to:

- Shut down

- Restart

- Sleep

Is there some registry setting? Or maybe Start10 or another (paid) tool or method/workaround?

shutdown.png

• kiddingguy changed the title to Change order "Shut down" and "Restart" on Windows 10 May 2020 Update
4 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Just a question... is there a way the change the order of 'Shut down' and 'Restart' on Windows 10.

How many times did I restart in stead of shutting down?!? Numerous and kinda annoying.

So I was wondering if I can can change the order (from bottom) to:

- Shut down

- Restart

- Sleep

Is there some registry setting? Or maybe Start10 or another (paid) tool or method/workaround?

shutdown.png

Interesting question, I don't know if there is but I wonder if they put Shut Down in the middle because people were hitting it by mistake and they restart/sleep more than shut down?

If you want an easy way to shutdown - how about just creating a shortcut, put it anywhere

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Or can't you just setup the keys on your keyboard to do what you want?

example on mine, I can set the power button (f8) to do different things - currently set to just lock

customkeys.thumb.jpg.3293233bce9014dba6bf4ed9018d8dba.jpg

10 hours ago, George P said:

Interesting question, I don't know if there is but I wonder if they put Shut Down in the middle because people were hitting it by mistake and they restart/sleep more than shut down?

In earlier Windows 10 builds (I thought this layout came with 1809/1903) the Shut down option was displayed 'first'.

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

If you want an easy way to shutdown - how about just creating a shortcut, put it anywhere

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Or can't you just setup the keys on your keyboard to do what you want?

example on mine, I can set the power button (f8) to do different things - currently set to just lock

customkeys.thumb.jpg.3293233bce9014dba6bf4ed9018d8dba.jpg

The shortcut helps :)

I have a standard notebook keyboard (Asus ROG) and I don't think I can customize keys here for shut down...

40 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

In earlier Windows 10 builds (I thought this layout came with 1809/1903) the Shut down option was displayed 'first'.

That's how I remembered it as Sleep, Restart, Shutdown.   I wonder if they put it in the middle because people were hitting Shutdown by mistake?  Much harder to hit it when it's in the middle and I think most people tend to restart way more than shutdown their systems.

2 hours ago, George P said:

That's how I remembered it as Sleep, Restart, Shutdown.   I wonder if they put it in the middle because people were hitting Shutdown by mistake?  Much harder to hit it when it's in the middle and I think most people tend to restart way more than shutdown their systems.

I suspect it's in order of most common usage, rather.

I usually shut down, but I'm guessing most people just put it to sleep instead (especially on hard drive systems.)

2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

standard notebook

This is a laptop?  You can have it shut down when you close the lid..

55 minutes ago, BudMan said:

This is a laptop?  You can have it shut down when you close the lid..

Yes, but I like the sleep mode on it when closing :ike:

3 hours ago, George P said:

+1 :jump:

3 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

Can you not just set the power button to shutdown when pressed?

This is what I was going to say. I think in laptops the power button is set to hibernate or sleep by default, but if you set the lid to sleep or hibernate if that's what you prefer, you can then set the power button to do a full shutdown.

In my case I always press the power button on my PC to shutdown, it is quicker than *click* to open Start menu then *click* to shut down :rofl: 

^ you can for sure set the power button to do different things be laptop or actual PC... Just set the lid to sleep/hyb and power button to shutdown.

25 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

@kiddingguy so what did you end up doing with this??

I currently have the shortcut on my desktop....

Still looking though for a way to change the order like it used to.

5 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

I currently have the shortcut on my desktop....

Still looking though for a way to change the order like it used to.

Would it not be easier to just press the power button on the laptop?

2 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

Would it not be easier to just press the power button on the laptop?

That would only be hibernate?! Or a 'hard shutdown', which I thought is not recommended. Especially when programs/apps are still running...

6 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

That would only be hibernate?! Or a 'hard shutdown', which I thought is not recommended. Especially when programs/apps are still running...

No, you can set the power switch to shutdown the laptop just like powering it down from Windows when pressed in power options.