Share if your Windows 10 May 2020 Update (version 2004) is blocked

I am hearing more and more about people being blocked from updating, which is actually good because previous updates have just installed despite having known issues that affected the device updating.

SNAG-0000.png

In my case I have a Aorus Z390 Pro WIFI i5-9600K 32GB PC3200 G.Skill Ripjaws but I also have more than 1 bluetooth device connected (which is a known issue for the May 2020 update, it only supports 1 connected bluetooth device) maybe that is why mine got blocked, I don't know for sure.

There are 11 known issues that could block updating, but I think Microsoft could be more helpful in stating why the update block happened rather than leave us to wonder if it is one or more of the 11 issues. Lol :rofl:  

I honestly feel like Microsoft is investigating a whole lot of issues and have not disclosed them on the known issues page. The May 2020 Update is blocked on my Legion Y540 which is weird since it's a laptop so has standard parts. I had Memory Integrity enabled which is a known issue but disabling it did not help either. I tried changing settings and disabling different features including Lenovo's software but that did not help either.

^ Update to 1909 first ;)

I am also seeing the "your device isn't quite ready" - and agree would be nice if they gave a bit more info on to the reason.. Maybe whatever reason isn't an issue for you, etc..

edit:  I went through all those, and I don't any of those that would pertain to my system.. Nvidia driver is way above 358, I don't have any realtek bluetooth stuff.. Hmmm

edit2:  Well since I don't see anything on that list that pertains to my system... I just grabbed the update assistant, its running now - that says ready to go.. So be back in a few minutes.. Or maybe longer ;) if it goes horribly wrong - hehe.. But I doubt it.. Could very well just be bad wording on staged rollout plan?  We will see I guess ;)

53 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I am also seeing the "your device isn't quite ready" - and agree would be nice if they gave a bit more info on to the reason.. Maybe whatever reason isn't an issue for you, etc..

edit:  I went through all those, and I don't any of those that would pertain to my system.. Nvidia driver is way above 358, I don't have any realtek bluetooth stuff.. Hmmm

edit2:  Well since I don't see anything on that list that pertains to my system... I just grabbed the update assistant, its running now - that says ready to go.. So be back in a few minutes.. Or maybe longer ;) if it goes horribly wrong - hehe.. But I doubt it.. Could very well just be bad wording on staged rollout plan?  We will see I guess ;)

BudMan is a real rebel 😮 

Yeah don't do that ;)

Got blue screen on reboot.. Clock watchdog timeout... So the update sure don't like something ;)

Guess could try it again??  But prob wait until says ready to go.. What I find funny - is why doesn't the assistant do the same sorts of checks for any known issues..

It sat there after at collecting info 0% for quite some time - without doing anything, no harddrive light, 0% not ticking up to say even 1% so finally hard powered it.. And it undid the changes and now back to 1909..

So yeah would not recommend it ;) heheheh

im not getting anything, but if i recall 1909 came a month later once it was released for me so 2004 might be the same kinda release for me 

13 hours ago, BudMan said:

Yeah don't do that ;)

Got blue screen on reboot.. Clock watchdog timeout... So the update sure don't like something ;)

Guess could try it again??  But prob wait until says ready to go.. What I find funny - is why doesn't the assistant do the same sorts of checks for any known issues..

It sat there after at collecting info 0% for quite some time - without doing anything, no harddrive light, 0% not ticking up to say even 1% so finally hard powered it.. And it undid the changes and now back to 1909..

So yeah would not recommend it ;) heheheh

Thanks for the heads up. Even I could see the update on Media Tool but it's blocked on Windows Update. I did not go though the update.
I have reached out to Microsoft for an explanation on this. Let's hope they can sort it out.

My work laptop have the Conexant ISST Audio chip with the affected driver version, searched for updated drivers but couldn't find any newer than the one I have from February 2020.

I don't get the message in Windows update but I it is running Enterprise version so maybe they don''t show it for those since most have little control on what they can/can't fix (luckily I have local admin access on it).

I updated the Windows 10 boot camp install on my MacBook Pro and it went swimmingly well. My gaming PC on the other hand, I've tried four times and hit a BSOD each time. In the error log:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0xC1900101: Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004.

Googling says that is driver related. What I've read so far are outdated Nvidia drivers but I have the latest package for my RTX 2060 - even then, I can't remember the last time I used a 300-series Geforce driver. Can't think of what else may cause it... chipset drivers? Audio? Would be nice if the BSOD could produce a memory dump to see what driver was responsible, but Windows is not creating a memory dump despite the settings set to do so.

This is the first time I've had issues with the semi-annual Windows 10 updates on my desktop. Updated from Windows 8.x to all these updates and it's been fine until now. Time to wait and see....

Never had that update. I did have problems with the Oct 2018 one.

To which, by the way ... (see my new thread). 😁

Update to the above: finally figured it out. No more blue sad faces. 😁

Recently I cloned my system SATA SSD to a new NVMe SSD, and in the process must have messed up the 100 MB system EFI partition. The result was a bunch of duplicate “Windows Boot Manager” entries in the BIOS boot menu. My system would boot fine but I guess it’s not good enough for an OS update.

I deleted and recreated the EFI partition, and tried the update again. It’s progressing past the first reboot! (and I'm now in 2004)

Edited by Denis W.

I have many bluetooth devices and it installed fine and runs fine so why it blocks more than 1 bluetooth device detected is beyond me as it didnt do it to me.

Update: just done installing 2004 and it seems to go well so far. 

Hello,

I had it offered in a virtual machine I was running of Windows 10 Professional under VMware Workstation, however, the machine hosting the VM has not been offered it, and when I go to check, it reports that the system is up to date (i.e., no mention of 2004 eventually being available).  As far as I can tell, I the machine is not affected by any of the known blockers.  It does have a Thunderbolt port, but has never had a dock attached.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Update 2: went back to my old laptop (had to put the setup files in a folder on the hard drive itself) ... all is well on there. 

Actually I got the notificatiopn update and I'm on 2004 since the last week.

Everythigs is working perfectly.

2109874803_Annotation2020-06-11085425.thumb.png.969877922a1fa8656329d5cb3528827d.png

This displayed this morning. I don't have anything which is in the known issues list, however on this PC I have feature updates deferred for one year so it may be the cause of this message. Historically when Feature Updates are deferred it just simply never mentioned them at all until either the end of the deferral or near EoS for the current installed version.

It's blocked for me to but I don't know why, my gaming desktop.  First time a update has been like this on this system.  I think it might be the older nVidia drivers I have installed?  Don't know.

I don't even get the thing to tell me it's available!

Just "you're up to date" - would rather not force it through Media Creation Tool though and the Upgrade Assistant tells me the same as Windows Update.

Turns out I don't have the upgrade assistant.
Downloaded and now it's downloading 2004. Woo!

My Sony Vaio laptop is now being offered the feature update, but I'm a bit apprehensive as the update seemed to break the WiFi on  my Dell desktop. I'll maybe hold off untill further consideration.

1 hour ago, He's Dead Jim said:

My Sony Vaio laptop is now being offered the feature update, but I'm a bit apprehensive as the update seemed to break the WiFi on  my Dell desktop. I'll maybe hold off untill further consideration.

Mate I am being offered it too, but new reports are saying it completely breaks Chrome sync and more (logging you out everywhere on each reboot). https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/49967636?hl=en https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/50327847?hl=en https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/53371635?hl=en

I have decided to defer the update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026834/windows-10-defer-feature-updates