gmail

Question

Hi 

I have been a Gmail user since 2004 and I have more than 20000 emails in my account in this 16 years of emailing. However I am seriously thinking about not using my gmail account anymore and get a personal domain email with round cube email client.  For me Gmail has stopped introducing new stuff, the themes are very very old in gmail. And the whole feel of gmail is outdated compare to something like Outlook. Do you feel Gmail interface is outdated? I will keep on using my Gmail account to receive emails but to sent out emails I will use my domain name email. Slowly like this I will phase out the gmail account.

Comments are welcomed... 

3 answers to this question

I totally agree with your assessment.  Gmail is the least feature rich email client there is from my perspective.  Of course, aside from work, I use the Outlook application to check my Gmail, so I don't have to deal with its garbage 2009 interface.  I think Outlook's online UI is much better.  Google just doesn't care that much (it seems) about the look of their products.  They are very simple and clean looking, but lack features that most others have.  I mean, good grief, Gmail just got the ability to create multiple signatures, depending on whether you're sending a new message or responding.  Outlook has had that for like a decade.  I don't blame you.  All the best!

The only place I use the default GMail application (and that is even though I have had GMail since 2007) is Android - and even there, it's not the default.  In fact, normally, it has been Outlook - and that is before Outlook added IMAP4 support (I could get away with it because GMail has supported POP3 from the beginning, which has been Outlook's secondary common protocol - behind Microsoft Exchange).

Outlook (as a mail client) spoiled me rotten with the "fire and forget" support for first POP3/SMTP (the default for Internet e-mail), then IMAP4 (which a lot of cheap ISPs switched to - because it was cheap) - there should be a post from me about it in the Read-Only Archive where I referred to Outlook's support for both as "launch and leave" and likened it to smart missiles.  I even pointed to the bombing of the planet of Outlook 2008 - for Windows, not Macs - the first time that a standalone version of any Office for Windows application was released to the masses.

I did not deny that Outlook makes for a great Microsoft Exchange client - it does.  However, I have very little USE of Outlook in that role, despite using Outlook for over two decades.