Is it weird that my dad has so many unnecessary filters on his internet?

Whenever I visit my parents, I can't help but get frustrated when I use my dad's computers. He's got literally layers upon layers of crazy filters on there. It's filters out adult website, which make sense, but it also filters out some news content, religious videos, and a lot of shopping websites. And here's the crazy part, when I tried opening his browser in Incognito/Private mode so I can log into my Amazon account without the login info saved, I couldn't do it. Incognito mode was filtered out of his computer.

Does anyone know why someone would do this? Is this extreme amount of filtering really necessary for security? Like I said, it's blocking legitimate website such as religious videos and news. And yes, I tried asking my dad, but he just picks a fight with me when I ask him. Asking him about his reasons for filtering strikes a nerve on him that I just can't understand.

Sure, I'd say from my experience that it's unusual. But you know, his house, his computer, his internet, his rules, and our speculation over reasons is as likely to be on base as not. If you really want to know, find a way to ask that doesn't result in a fight, and I suppose that might not be possible.

5 minutes ago, zhangm said:

Sure, I'd say from my experience that it's unusual. But you know, his house, his computer, his internet, his rules, and our speculation over reasons is as likely to be on base as not. If you really want to know, find a way to ask that doesn't result in a fight, and I suppose that might not be possible.

Yeah, it's just odd because maybe I can understand if I were a kid and living in his house. But I'm moved out so it's just him and my mom living in the house and using that computer. I live in my own place using my own internet & computer with none of that nonsense filtering. So I don't know why he would add so much filters. Unless of course, he doesn't trust my mom, and that could be a reason why he gets mad at me when I ask. Oh boy, did I just answer my own question? 😮

Did he do this knowingly? As in, did he set this up himself?

1 hour ago, DaDude said:

And yes, I tried asking my dad, but he just picks a fight with me when I ask him. Asking him about his reasons for filtering strikes a nerve on him that I just can't understand.

I would just leave it be.  

54 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Did he do this knowingly? As in, did he set this up himself?

Legitimate question that wasn't explained in OP's post. Otherwise, if it's just him and wife, I'd call it extreme paranoia! :)

32 minutes ago, warwagon said:

He probably also deletes all of his cookies when he done for the night too.

I think there's an option to clear cookies/cache every time you close it.

12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think there's an option to clear cookies/cache every time you close it.

He's probably also annoyed he has to keep logging back into his websites :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, warwagon said:

He's probably also annoyed he has to keep logging back into his websites :laugh:

And he probably writes down all his passwords...

He may have his reasons. Why not ask him? 

Then you may be able to help him achieve what he wants in a less obtrusive way 🙂

It's less than common, but maybe he has his reasons.  Asking him would make more sense than asking us.

Also, I knew exactly who made this thread before I even came into it.

If my son asked me why my PC was locked down this way, I'd tell him it's none of his business. It's my PC, I can do what I like with it (as long as it's legal).

1 hour ago, spikey_richie said:

If my son asked me why my PC was locked down this way, I'd tell him it's none of his business. It's my PC, I can do what I like with it (as long as it's legal).

I don't lock my PC down in this way but when my kids ask me why I do things a certain way w.r.t. security then I take that as a great opportunity to go through security concepts with them!

9 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

And he probably writes down all his passwords...

I have nothing against people who write down thier passwords. I actually wish more people did. I'm far less worried about a thief breaking into someone's house and steeling all their passwords than i am about someone either forgetting a password or getting their account logged into because they use the same password everywhere.

Whenever I'm helping someone remotely and we (as an example) log into google, I say "type in your email address", and they do. Then I say "type in your password", in which I'm thinking... wait for it... 3 ...2 ..."I never had a password" or "Oh, god I have no idea what my password is". Then they say, "Can I just type in a new password I want to use?" or "Can you change my password for me?".

I say "No I cannot hack Google and change your password; we have to do "Forgot my password" and HOPE you have good recovery options"

I've attempted on numerous occasions to try to show people something like LastPass, but I almost always INSTANTLY regret it as their eyes just fog over and they are totally lost. Even though it's not hard at all. Plus, all they usually end up doing is just saving the same password for every website in LastPass.

Hello,

If the filtering is not done at the gateway or through DNS servers, bring your own device and use that instead of your father's computer.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky