Very Slow USB Transfer Rates with External Drives With Windows 10 2004

Hey All

Windows 10 Pro x64 2004 (Desktop) 

and Windows 10 Home x64 2004 (Laptop)

Both Machines have really slow usb transfer with 3.0 Drivers, and one usb 3.1 enclosure on Desktop,  Desktop was recently upgraded hardware wise,  i don't remember drives being this slow on old board,      Laptop i never seen it this slow either, which is strange, i haven't changed any settings on it.

In the Enclosure #1, USB 3.0, Seagate 8TB drive 

Enclosure #2, USB 3.1 & Type C cable option for Laptop

Took hours to do a small folder transfer of music yesterday to that drive,   at least 6-12 hours,  Macrium reflect backup of storage drive, been going now for hours on Laptop, and still not done

any tips, or suggestions or fixes?

Edited by bikeman25

Hello,

You mentioned the desktop was recently upgraded with a new motherboard.  Did you erase its drive and perform a clean installation of Windows 10 Version 2004?

Did you ensure the latest USB 3.0 drivers are installed for the two computers?  If they are using generic Microsoft-provided drivers, you might want to see if newer ones are available from ASMedia, Cypress Semiconductor, Fresco Logic, Intel, Renesas (formerly NEC), STMicroelectronics, Texas Instruments, and so forth, installing those, and seeing if there is any performance improvement.

You may want to try toggling UASP on and off for the drives to see if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Well Desktop didn't perform a clean install as yet,  but i can in a few minutes here

Drivers checked to see if latest Intel drivers on both systems for the usb devices--was latest

Will check on the UASP on and off option, and see if that makes any difference

((Should have Desktop clean install done shortly today,  in process of backing up personal files, and getting drivers together, and such at this point, i knew i should've done one soon as i got system home that day, but was anxious to game lol) 

Edited by bikeman25

I found this thread after searching for this issue.  I just got the update to 2004 through win update this morning, and noticed transfer speeds to my USB hard drive went from 170 MB/s to 5 MB/s.  I've already rolled back which has fixed it. 

Have you had any luck solving this issue?

I've also got this weird issue on my Core i7 6700K build. The USB 3 port runs slower than USB 1 speed, but the USB 2 port outperforms it! It seems to be the crappy Renesas controller, my old Dell Precision M6600 has a Renesas controller too and keeps crapping out for no apprent reason with "Unexpected I/O error" on large USB 3 transfers. Never managed to solve it on both, even after reflashing USB 3 controller firmware. External HDD's are electrically/mechanically fine and not faulty.

No Luck Really Solving as yet,  still seem a bit slow,  especially on Laptop machine,  gotta check more on Desktop machine, which i plan to do shortly here.     

Desktop was clean installed on the new hardware finally, so might be a little improvement on this PC thankfully,  still gotta check laptop out more

I hope it's just a bug with Windows 10 2004 and eventually is fixed with a cumulative update, or driver or something, and such.      Too much trouble to rollback to 1909 at moment, so guess will just patiently wait at this point, and hopefully i can stand the transfer speed of the drives for now

• 4 weeks later...

My 2013 model of the Dell XPS-15 has three USB 3 ports.  Hardware connections are not so reliable now, often being loose.

Windows Gadgets, "Disk Monitor" version 16.6, will give you a continuous real time feedback of whatever drives you need to monitor, on your chosen desktops.  

As others suggest here, check with Linux.  GKRELLM is available for both Linux & Windows.  It also offers real time, on screen monitoring of transfer speeds.

• 2 months later...

I just got prompted to upgrade again after rolling back to 1909 in the summer.  Update still kills my transfer speed to USB storage.  Anything ever fix it for you?

Still Seems to work the same on Laptop PC for some reason, and i know for sure that machine does have USB 3.1 ports,  but for the Desktop with just USB 3.0, and a few USB 2.0 ports, i just come to the conclusion its gonna transfer as best it can with my Enclosures that i have.        Can't afford to really spend on an upgraded motherboard yet on Desktop, besides my B460M board i just got in June 2020,  System was clean installed in July, and seems to be work great otherwise.  

Laptop clean installed months ago, i could i suppose do a clean install of Windows 10 20H1 Home at some point, and see if that makes any difference, but i sorta doubt it,   still would be same drivers, and such

Yeah the speed change for is awful.  180 MB/s,  update windows,  5 MB/s,  roll back and it's 180 again...  I'm planning a cpu/motherboard upgrade soon and will be doing a clean install,  hopefully it resolves it.  I still can't find anyone else on the internet with this issue other than this thread.