Office 365 outlook.exe Faulting module name: mso98win32client.dll

Question

Had two customers call me about this, this morning.

Faulting application name: OUTLOOK.EXE, version: 16.0.13001.20266, time stamp: 0x5ef262ee
Faulting module name: mso98win32client.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ef2aa2d
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000474b2
Faulting process id: 0x1ccc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d65ac689a989dc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\OUTLOOK.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office16\mso98win32client.dll
Report Id: d76d8e66-0eab-4c25-aac0-5c39d0d8e7c6
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Found a reddit thread with a fix. Confirmed it fix both machines. I'm guessing Microsoft will eventually fix it and push down a fix. But if you are in a pinch and need  outlook.exe working now.

cd “\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun”

then:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.6366.2062

12 answers to this question

Thank you! Bug and fix confirmed! You will need internet connectivity to run the fix.

On my end, I had to type in the email address the M365 software is licensed to. Not sure if that part was just a one-off.

@warwagon If this is truly a worldwide issue you are probably helping thousands!

1 minute ago, alceryes said:

Thank you! Bug and fix confirmed! You will need internet connectivity to run the fix.

On my end, I had to type in the email address the M365 software is licensed to. Not sure if that part was just a one-off.

@warwagon If this is truly a worldwide issue you are probably helping thousands!

Reddit is helping thousands, i'm just spreading the word. I usually know it's pretty wide spread, which I get 2 calls in 20 mins about it.

Just now, alceryes said:

For clarification, this just rolls back to the last version, right?

...since 6366 is smaller than 13001?

That's what i'm assuming.

WW, did this happen on startup? I am running that 13001 version and haven't experienced anything out of line - yet...

12 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

WW, did this happen on startup? I am running that 13001 version and haven't experienced anything out of line - yet...

Happens when you open outlook it you'll see the splash screen, then it will go away and outlook.exe will leave memory. . just helped my mom with her office 365 this morning, her outlook was still working great.

Some more info. This issue is NOT fixed by -

Creating a new Outlook profile, running a 'quick' or 'online' repair, running chkdsk, sfc /scannow, etc.

This is an issue caused by a bug in Outlook. Rolling back to the last version of Office (via the above instructions) DOES allow Outlook to operate normally again.

I can confirm that this works, but it has left a couple of issues of its own !

One seems to be that on some machines it corrupts the OutlPrnt1 file located in %appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook and wont let you print from outlook, if you just rename this file to something worth naming, like microsoftareplnkers then that should fix that error, the other is that it seems to have messed with html signature, i have not had chance to look into this further as yet and will update in due course but if anyone else has the answer then please let me know and the rest of the class.

cheers for reading and hope everyone is good and healthy

Mark

The root issue appears to have been an update to the Microsoft infrastructure that Microsoft Office applications connect to when opening. Apparently, this issue also affected Office 2019 (non-cloud Office versions)

One major question comes to mind -

Who the F* authorized a middle of the work day (for USA), untested update to the back-end infrastructure that millions of Microsoft Office applications rely on?!

Completely ridiculous!

10 minutes ago, alceryes said:

The root issue appears to have been an update to the Microsoft infrastructure that Microsoft Office applications connect to when opening. Apparently, this issue also affected Office 2019 (non-cloud Office versions)

One major question comes to mind -

Who the F* authorized a middle of the work day (for USA), untested update to the back-end infrastructure that millions of Microsoft Office applications rely on?!

Completely ridiculous!

And why is the non cloud version phoning home on Every launch.