First time in my life, I purchased an iPhone!

For the first time in my life, not only have I purchased a brand new phone, I purchased an iPhone.

The phone I decided on is the iPhone SE 2020 128gb. I went the route of the iPhone mainly for the 5+ years of support and security updates the phone will most likely receive.

It has a smaller battery than the others, but I don't do a lot on my phone. I make phone calls, check Facebook here and there, send a text message or two and instant message with telegram or messenger. I hardly live on my phone. Give a desktop or laptop anyway of the week.

The Small form factor sounded appealing, plus it's got the same CPU as the iPhone 11 (be it slightly underclocked). Wireless Charging will be nice too.

I think another thing iOS does better than android, at least in my experience is timely notifications. Starting with Doze on Android, timely notifications in some apps has gotten really bad, even when I told android not to optimize X app for battery saving. In android you'd get the notification 30 mins after the fact... or X number of minutes after the fact, after turning your screen on.

It's got the same camera as the iPhone 8 but I'm really impressed how you get better images from the same camera the 8 has sheerly by the image processing of the A13 Bionic chip. Included is a sample of the Front facing camera.

So, let's see how it goes. waiting for the case to arrive before it gets full use.

The last Android phone I had was Essentials Phone running LIneageOS 17.1. Then I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus for $20 to and put a new battery in it. I wanted to spend $20 and get a feel for and iPhone to see if I like it, instead of spending $450 and finding out I don't like it. So I used the iPhone for 1 week and I was ok with it. Once again I really do like the timely notifications.

The rest of the phones i've had LG v20, Galaxy S7, LG g3, Galaxy S3 and before that it was an HTC incredible 2. All phone listed above, including the essentials phone have all been from eBay

This is a sample of the front facing camera.

116426390_10158441734367768_288932378185577138_o.jpg

As far as my case goes, i'm going with the same kind of case I got for my Iphone 6 Plus. It's a GREAT case, feels great in the hand AND has a built in screen protector that snaps in on top.

iPhone 6 plus

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MOOFHQ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iPhone SE 2020

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0876VFSBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

image.thumb.png.6dbb797a25d4c035eba405a50ad0edea.png

nice. as a forever Android user myself I also finally gave in and got a refurbished iPhone XR a few months back.

Android really is in a sorry state and only seems to be getting worse with every major version jump.

I'm loving my iPhone so far. I'm on iOS 13.5 as well so I'm jailbroken for a few tweaks. and the thing is I may not even stick with my jailbreak at this point; iOS 14 looks to be adding most the features I'm jailbreaking for such as the incoming call notification and native pip.

At this point I think the only thing I miss from Android is the chat heads for facebook messenger but I currently have a jailbreak tweak for that too; that'd be the only tweak I have right now that I really care about that doesn't have an equivalent coming to iOS 14

I'd consider the move but I write my own android apps that I sideload. I don't have a problem learning to code for Apple, its that the cost of doing so is just to prohibitive. Dev license, mac to build plus additional  tools to side load all adds up.

While my personal device has always been an Android, I was provided an iPhone as a work phone and I didn't have a problem with it for the most part. I'm glad to be back with Android, but that doesn't mean I'm anti-iOS. The only thing that pops up now and again is when someone asks me what app I'm using to do something. Just as I'm about to link them to the app I realize that they are on iOS and the same app doesn't exist in their ecosystem. I just say, "sorry mate, it's only on Android at the moment. Maybe you can find an equivalent version for your phone?" since I'm not going to spend the time doing the search myself.

I do agree about the notifications, though. I've only noticed it in the past few weeks while I've been visiting the family though. Their phones will ping with an update on something, and then sometime in the next few minutes my phone will ping for the same update. I can't say it bothers me though, it's rare that I need the update at the second it happens. If I do then I probably already have the app open and I'm constantly refreshing looking for the update to come through, so the delay in the notification doesn't bother me.

I'm glad to hear that you decided to try switching for a bit though. I've never understood the idea of the die-hard fans. It's an operating system. If it does what you need then great, there's no need for people to get their knickers in a bunch if someone uses something else.

I have to admit... I've had every smartphone system type that's been released now.

I last changed from iPhone to Android. I love my Android; however, I recently have learned that I was wrong in Android being supported longer than iPhones.

I think Androids are only 3 years, and I think iPhone is much longer than that. Makes me sad, and ashamed I got that switched in my head.

Due to this mistake I'm now looking at potential new phones. I'm trying to wait until support for my Pixel 3 stops before purchasing anything.

Also hoping that maybe something new might come from Apple or MS.

That Surface Duo is looking like it might launch anytime now . . .

Just saying. I wonder how long that Surface Duo will get support for?

How many of you are not used to purchasing new cell phones of any sort?

The reason I ask (and as someone that purchased a new phone last year (the Pixel 3a was new period - not merely *new to me*) is that new period IS different from merely new to the user.

Then there is the reality that Apple UX is decidedly different from Android, Windows, or anything else; that may well be part of it - I certainly don't discount it.

Between those two truisms, that could explain the feeling  you have (yes - I've seen it before with owners of new Apple devices - especially those coming from a different ecosystem).

1 hour ago, margrave said:

I think Androids are only 3 years, and I think iPhone is much longer than that. Makes me sad, and ashamed I got that switched in my head.

Ya, Google's Android support for their own phones is embarrassing it's not as if they have THAT many to support.. 

18 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Ya, Google's Android support for their own phones is embarrassing it's not as if they have THAT many to support.. 

Thats one of the main reasons I went with an iPhone after Microsoft killed Windows Phone. Although their support between 6.5 to 7 and 7 to 8 was bad. I still have an android phone for testing and a spare line (Just upgraded to the Moto G Stylist), but my iPhone X is my main line and phone to use.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:06 PM, margrave said:

That Surface Duo is looking like it might launch anytime now . . .

Just saying. I wonder how long that Surface Duo will get support for?

I've been hearing that the Duo isn't being marketed as a phone but a mini-tablet / new age PDA so it may not have the phone app and such.

Just something to consider as you look/decide your upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on my iPhone SE 2020 experience. So far the lowest I've ended the day battery wise is 48% but usually it's around 70%. Yesterday I ended the day with 52% battery with 3 hours 49 min screen on time.

Oddly, I find my Android wear watch notifications are more reliable and instant on this iPhone than previous Android Devices. Could just be a placebo effect though too.

I've gotten use to the size and it really is a joy to hold.

I'm really impressed on how far away my watch still works from my iPhone. So I was at a customer's house yesterday. My Car was parked on their driveway with my phone inside. I was in their basement. My watch was still getting live Call alerts (someone was calling) from my phone in my car. 

On 8/15/2020 at 9:41 AM, warwagon said:

Oddly, I find my Android wear watch notifications are more reliable and instant on this iPhone than previous Android Devices. Could just be a placebo effect though too.

I don't think it's just placebo. I've noticed the same on my Versa since I switched to my iPhone.

I think the overly aggressive battery saver on most Android phones blocks a lot of smart watch communication as on Android notifications would often be delayed and sometimes not received on my watch all together. And doing actions from my smart watch like deleting an email from the notification would be the same delayed or not performed on the phone.

5 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I don't think it's just placebo. I've noticed the same on my Versa since I switched to my iPhone.

I think the overly aggressive battery saver on most Android phones blocks a lot of smart watch communication as on Android notifications would often be delayed and sometimes not received on my watch all together. And doing actions from my smart watch like deleting an email from the notification would be the same delayed or not performed on the phone.

Yep, it started with the introduction of "Doze", before that notifications were very reliable.

• 1 month later...

I bought the iPhone XR also for the 5 years of guaranteed updates after going through about 4 Android phones. Pleasingly, the medical apps I need for work are just a lot faster and more efficient on iOS.

For a while, I played around with custom Android ROMs but realised these ROMs were constantly plagued with issues. I did not have the energy or the time for that. So an Android phone with its promised updates for 2 years was increasingly less appealing, no matter what specs it boasted.  

I think I'll jump back on Android if Microsoft succeeds with its Duo line and offers 5 years of updates like Apple does. Otherwise, I think iOS is here to stay.